Do you feel weird asking classmates about how OCI is going? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
virginny

New

Do you feel weird asking classmates about how OCI is going?

Post by virginny » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:20 pm

Some of my classmates talk pretty open about it, but I personally feel uncomfortable discussing given the effects of ITE.

Silver

Re: Do you feel weird asking classmates about how OCI is going?

Post by 12262010 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:34 pm

Really depends on how you go about it.

War Cardinal

New

Post by War Cardinal » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:52 pm

booyakasha wrote:Really depends on how you go about it.
So, Boo, where will you be working next summer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:05 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous Muser

New

Post by Anonymous Muser » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:24 pm

I ask, and if they give an answer that makes me feel bad for asking, I tailor mine accordingly.

"How'd OCI go?"
"Still looking for something."
"Yeah, me too. It's rough out there."

Win win.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:40 pm

Incidentally, this is probably how people end up long term unemployed. If you don't have a job, fucking say so, eventually you might run into someone who can hook you up. Being all awkward and hesitant to share isn't doing you an favors because you are missing out on the opportunity to network, and isn't doing me any favors because now I'm missing a data point that I would like to have for my own job search. The only thing that being tight-lipped is going to do is preserve the tiny pink emotions of those who have not matured since junior high. Also, this is probably why so many people have over-estimated the value of going to law school. Sometimes I think law students could use more a MBA-like mentality.
Last edited by Veyron on Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Asking my classmates about how OCI is going has been my favorite part of law school. Nothing beats the look on the face of a defeated T10 2L as he responds "I'm still looking for something," knowing full well that the big law ship has sailed. With a simple question, I'm able to remind him that the only two things in his future are a low-paying job, if he's lucky, and six figures of non-dischargeable debt. A year ago, I could see great hopes and dreams in the eyes of these students; now, all that I see is despair. I love it.

(OK, not a serious post, but I've gotten the sense that more than a few law students think that way, unless they are just totally oblivious to ITE)
Stay classy anon abuser.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:47 pm

Veyron wrote:Incidentally, this is probably how people end up long term unemployed. If you don't have a job, fucking say so, eventually you might run into someone who can hook you up. Being all awkward and hesitant to share isn't doing you an favors because you are missing out on the opportunity to network, and isn't doing me any favors because now I'm missing a data point that I would like to have for my own job search. The only thing that being tight-lipped is going to do is preserve the tiny pink emotions of those who have not matured since junior high. Also, this is probably why so many people have over-estimated the value of going to law school. Sometimes I think law students could use more a MBA-like mentality.
Right. This, of all things, is how people end up long term unemployed. Divulging information to overly inquisitive 2L busy bodies who could barely define a tort is a solid job search strategy.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:48 pm

Anonymous Muser wrote:I ask, and if they give an answer that makes me feel bad for asking, I tailor mine accordingly.

"How'd OCI go?"
"Still looking for something."
"Yeah, me too. It's rough out there."

Win win.
Banned for unauthorized alting.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:10 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Veyron wrote:Incidentally, this is probably how people end up long term unemployed. If you don't have a job, fucking say so, eventually you might run into someone who can hook you up. Being all awkward and hesitant to share isn't doing you an favors because you are missing out on the opportunity to network, and isn't doing me any favors because now I'm missing a data point that I would like to have for my own job search. The only thing that being tight-lipped is going to do is preserve the tiny pink emotions of those who have not matured since junior high. Also, this is probably why so many people have over-estimated the value of going to law school. Sometimes I think law students could use more a MBA-like mentality.
Right. This, of all things, is how people end up long term unemployed. Divulging information to overly inquisitive 2L busy bodies who could barely define a tort is a solid job search strategy.
Its more that someone who is staying tight lipped around 1Ls is probably hiding what is going on from many people out of shame. Besides, you would be suprised by the number of 1Ls whose daddy is a partner somewhere. Is it likely that any one coversation will lead to a job. Hell no, but thousands and thousands?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:29 pm

Veyron wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Its more that someone who is staying tight lipped around 1Ls is probably hiding what is going on from many people out of shame. Besides, you would be suprised by the number of 1Ls whose daddy is a partner somewhere. Is it likely that any one coversation will lead to a job. Hell no, but thousands and thousands?
Fewer women would get breast cancer if they let any gentleman that requested it give them a breast exam. Humans are irrational beings.

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:31 pm

Veyron wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
you know, some of us care about not making our classmates and friends who struck out feel like complete shit.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:36 pm

booyakasha wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
you know, some of us care about not making our classmates and friends who struck out feel like complete shit.
BUT YOUR DAD MIGHT BE A PARTNER JUST WAITING ON HOT TIPS FROM YOU ABOUT PROSPECTIVE SUMMER ASSOCIATES.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:37 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
booyakasha wrote:
Veyron wrote: Its more that someone who is staying tight lipped around 1Ls is probably hiding what is going on from many people out of shame. Besides, you would be suprised by the number of 1Ls whose daddy is a partner somewhere. Is it likely that any one coversation will lead to a job. Hell no, but thousands and thousands?
BUT YOUR DAD MIGHT BE A PARTNER JUST WAITING ON HOT TIPS FROM YOU ABOUT PROSPECTIVE SUMMER ASSOCIATES.
BIGFOBLAW FTW!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:49 pm

Man, do you guys know nothing about how the business world works? Jobs are frequently acquired in this way. People don't come to law school for positivity and affirmation, they come to find gainful employment. I don't really care about my classmates feelings if they are going to get butthurt about not getting anything at OCI because I expect them to have the maturity to face the job search from a practical perspective. I look at what the MBA's around here do when they don't have jobs lined up. They talk to everyone they know about finding work, its a great example of the right way to do things.

Hell dood, I'm a 1L and I'm going at this from the perspective that I'm going to strike out at OCI. I'm telling everyone I know how tough the legal market is and how difficult it is to get a job and how I would love to be introduced to anyone at all who they know who works in the legal field. Gotten some good leads for 1L summer employment and beyond this way.
Last edited by Veyron on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:50 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

War Cardinal

New

Post by War Cardinal » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:53 pm

NYAssociate wrote:Veyron, while your suggestion is well intentioned, you seem to be forgetting that law school is High School Part Deux.
NYAssociate, while you state the truth, it does not mean that it must continue being so.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:15 pm

I ask sometimes, because I'm genuinely hoping all my classmates do well. I also don't think anyone minds telling me if they're not doing well, since I didn't do OCIP and thus if they have nothing, we're in the same position. If I actually did OCIP, I'm not sure I'd want to ask anyone.

War Cardinal

New

Post by War Cardinal » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:19 pm

worldtraveler wrote:I ask sometimes, because I'm genuinely hoping all my classmates do well. I also don't think anyone minds telling me if they're not doing well, since I didn't do OCIP and thus if they have nothing, we're in the same position. If I actually did OCIP, I'm not sure I'd want to ask anyone.
I want to hug your little asian baby. So damn cute.

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:22 pm

Veyron, you'll get what some of us are saying after you go through OCI. It brings out the worst in a lot of people and you'll realize that 90% of the time "how did you do?" means "I don't give a fuck how you did, please ask me how I did so I can brag about my success." There's nothing wrong with candidly discussing OCI with your friends in a productive manner or trying to work connections, but the majority of OCI-related conversation you'll endure is obnoxious and self-aggrandizing.

mlloyd

New

Post by mlloyd » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:41 pm

I think you can be legitimately interested in your friends' lives, but that doesn't mean you should ask them specifically how OCI is going unless you already have good reason to believe it went well.

Just ask them if they know what they want to do for next summer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:29 am

OCI has been pretty damn shitty for me. But I still ask people I know how they're doing. I like it when people I like have success, and I like congratulating them on it.

My own suckittude has very little to do with it actually working out for them...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:37 am

I only ask if I have heard from another source that the person has something lined up, or at least know he or she had a ton of callbacks. People ask me and I am open about it, but my classmates pretty much know my UG academic background likely precluded me from biglaw. (I finally had a partner tell me that I am not what law firms are looking for. This was outside an interview setting and he knew nothing about my GPA.) So yeah, I would ask carefully. I can laugh about it, but there are definite haves and have nots at my school, and anyone with social graces would not ask this question in a random fashion.

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:42 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I only ask if I have heard from another source that the person has something lined up, or at least know he or she had a ton of callbacks. People ask me and I am open about it, but my classmates pretty much know my UG academic background likely precluded me from biglaw. (I finally had a partner tell me that I am not what law firms are looking for. This was outside an interview setting and he knew nothing about my GPA.) So yeah, I would ask carefully. I can laugh about it, but there are definite haves and have nots at my school, and anyone with social graces would not ask this question in a random fashion.
didn't you not want biglaw anyway, prior to LS?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:43 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I only ask if I have heard from another source that the person has something lined up, or at least know he or she had a ton of callbacks. People ask me and I am open about it, but my classmates pretty much know my UG academic background likely precluded me from biglaw. (I finally had a partner tell me that I am not what law firms are looking for. This was outside an interview setting and he knew nothing about my GPA.) So yeah, I would ask carefully. I can laugh about it, but there are definite haves and have nots at my school, and anyone with social graces would not ask this question in a random fashion.
How does ones undergraduate work ever preclude biglaw?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”