Susman v. W&C Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Susman or Williams and Connolly

Susman
45%
Williams and Connolly
55%

Total votes: 62

BruceWayne

Gold

Re: Susman v. W&C

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:33 pm

Veyron wrote:Susman = THE...BEST...LIT... FIRM...IN... THE...WORLD. Do you want to do lit because if you do, OMG. How is this even a choice. Susman is prob the most elite you can possibly work for. dot finish I would kill, kill to be in your shoes.
They are amazing, but W&C and Bartlitt Beck do rival them.
Anonymous User wrote:I've had callbacks at 4 boutiques and 4 V15s.

I can't even begin to tell you how much more I like even my least favorite boutique than my favorite V15.

Unfortunately, it looks as if I'm striking out at the boutiques (rejected from Beck, Redden; waiting on Susman although since they met today and at least two people here have received offers, it's looking unlikely; Gibbs & Bruns which, due to their tiny size, I'm not optimistic about; and one too small to tell because it would out me that may not even have a summer program). If it's any indication, I am more depressed about this fact than I would have been had I been rejected from all of my top law school choices. In fact, it probably ranks in the top 5 of my most disappointing life moments.

Granted, it's totally about personality, but I'm someone who'd rather get thrown into the fire, despite how scared I am, and force myself to learn and get comfortable with it, than sit on the sideline for five years.

I'm not a religious man, but I won't deny having prayed several times to get at least ONE of these lit boutiques.

If anyone has ANY suggestions for similar boutiques with summer programs, please email me at ocardowin@gmail.com (I don't want to hijack the thread).

Since I'm in debt, it needs to pay close to market. I know of Keker, Susman, Gibbs, Beck.
Bickel and Brewer, Kellog Huber, Robbins Russell, and arguably Patterson Belknap come to mind.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:43 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Veyron wrote:Susman = THE...BEST...LIT... FIRM...IN... THE...WORLD. Do you want to do lit because if you do, OMG. How is this even a choice. Susman is prob the most elite you can possibly work for. dot finish I would kill, kill to be in your shoes.
Anonymous User wrote:
Sure, like H and S rival Y.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
a) The BP payoff, plaintiff's side, won't be that huge, so it doesn't matter.

b) Don't give me that bullshit that you'll be doing a higher proportion of substantive work. The BP case is the epitome of doc review for any litigation associate involved, boutique or not. If you're staffed on the case, you won't be seeing a courtroom anytime soon, at least compared to your buddies at Joe Biglaw firm.
Ever occur to you that Susman outsources doc review?
Yeah, I don't think he's familiar with just how different a firm like Susman is than the typical "V10" firm glorified on TLS.

I've had callbacks at 4 boutiques and 4 V15s.

I can't even begin to tell you how much more I like even my least favorite boutique than my favorite V15.

Unfortunately, it looks as if I'm striking out at the boutiques (rejected from Beck, Redden; waiting on Susman although since they met today and at least two people here have received offers, it's looking unlikely; Gibbs & Bruns which, due to their tiny size, I'm not optimistic about; and one too small to tell because it would out me that may not even have a summer program). If it's any indication, I am more depressed about this fact than I would have been had I been rejected from all of my top law school choices. In fact, it probably ranks in the top 5 of my most disappointing life moments.

Granted, it's totally about personality, but I'm someone who'd rather get thrown into the fire, despite how scared I am, and force myself to learn and get comfortable with it, than sit on the sideline for five years.

I'm not a religious man, but I won't deny having prayed several times to get at least ONE of these lit boutiques.

If anyone has ANY suggestions for similar boutiques with summer programs, please email me at ocardowin@gmail.com (I don't want to hijack the thread).

Since I'm in debt, it needs to pay close to market. I know of Keker, Susman, Gibbs, Beck.
I hear you. I loved Susman, but it just wasn't in the cards.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I hear you. I loved Susman, but it just wasn't in the cards.
I haven't given up hope!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:06 am

The question is...does the fact that susman maintains such an awesome practice across five very different cities trump the DC powerhouse that is w&c?....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:The question is...does the fact that susman maintains such an awesome practice across five very different cities trump the DC powerhouse that is w&c?....
Certainly not if you want D.C.

The firms are also supposedly very different, culturally. Remember that Susman is at its heart a Plaintiff's firm, while W&C maintains a heavy white collar practice. I think that is something to consider, as well.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:18 am

Veyron wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sure, like H and S rival Y.
You've got to be kidding. Williams and Connolly defended Bill Clinton during the impeachment scandal, represents Obama, and Elena Kagan worked there. Bartlitt Beck's winning percentage in multi million dollar suits is incredible.

On another note, the only difference between Yale and Harvard's placement is in regards to clerkships and academia, otherwise Harvard places the same.

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:47 am

Last edited by yellowjacket2012 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:56 am

yellowjacket2012 wrote:
apparently susman's not so selective for IP, neither is W&C, and yeah - these firms do dabble in IP some.
Not sure where some of these so called "elite" litigation firms are headed with their forays into non-elite IP recruiting.
-
Last edited by Veyron on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:38 am

yellowjacket2012 wrote:
apparently susman's not so selective for IP, neither is W&C, and yeah - these firms do dabble in IP some.
Not sure where some of these so called "elite" litigation firms are headed with their forays into non-elite IP recruiting.
These are business litigation firms, they're not that concerned/focused with the IP field. That would be more in line with Irell (which does have some similarities to these firms).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:48 am

Has OP been back yet? Still curious when he got his Susman offer...

Wondering whether its the same person who posted in the Texas Markets thread or a second person.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has OP been back yet? Still curious when he got his Susman offer...

Wondering whether its the same person who posted in the Texas Markets thread or a second person.
not the op here, but i also have an offer at susman - not going to say what office, since the numbers are so small - i know that the office i'll be in is "full," though it sounds a little weird to say that, given how few summers they're taking - my offer came earlier this week

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:15 am

BruceWayne wrote:
yellowjacket2012 wrote:
These are business litigation firms, they're not that concerned/focused with the IP field. That would be more in line with Irell (which does have some similarities to these firms).
what similarities does Irell have with Susman and Williams and Connolly? they're ina diff city and do diff work

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:01 pm

Some more information can be found here: http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thr ... forum_id=2

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The question is...does the fact that susman maintains such an awesome practice across five very different cities trump the DC powerhouse that is w&c?....
Certainly not if you want D.C.

The firms are also supposedly very different, culturally. Remember that Susman is at its heart a Plaintiff's firm, while W&C maintains a heavy white collar practice. I think that is something to consider, as well.
My impression was that Susman did a pretty even split between Plaintiff-side and Defendant-side work, and thus offered a diverse range of work. Have heard that W&C has an unbeatable white-collar group, but is the work as diverse (aside from their obvious strengths in sports and political cases?).

Ajax666

New

Post by Ajax666 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:21 am

Can anybody go into more detail about the type of work Susman and W&C do? And really what kind of exit opps W&C has that sets it apart from the pack? Just curious to learn more about these firms.

gendefect

Bronze

Post by gendefect » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:50 am

BruceWayne wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've had callbacks at 4 boutiques and 4 V15s.

Bickel and Brewer, Kellog Huber, Robbins Russell, and arguably Patterson Belknap come to mind.
I've never seen Patterson Belknap added to a list like that. Is that something anyone else wants to back up? BruceWayne, why would you, at least possibly, add them to this kind of list?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Susman or W&C for the summer? Cannot split for personal reasons.
Susman only offers a 4-week summer program, so you basically have to split...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:21 am

Ajax666 wrote:Can anybody go into more detail about the type of work Susman and W&C do? And really what kind of exit opps W&C has that sets it apart from the pack? Just curious to learn more about these firms.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=189981

Also, this was a worthless necro of a 2 year old thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:48 am

Susman, W&C, Barlitt are not the best litigation firms in the world

That would be MTO. Hth

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:11 am

So much misinformation about Susman in this and every other thread. Great experience for young attorneys, sure, but the money isn't what it used to be, and the hours are BRUTAL.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:54 am

This is such an odd poll -- SG v WC?

It's like asking apple or Snickers bar?

Not saying one is better or worse than the other, but whichever one you prefer will depend on what you want to do in life, and not necessarily which firm is "better" or "more prestigious".

If I wanted to bake an apple pie, I'd pick an apple over a Snickers.

If I wanted something for trick-or-treaters, then itd be Snickers all the way.

This is a prime example of how TLS can create unnecessary angst and stress amongst the hoi polloi.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Susman, W&C, Barlitt are not the best litigation firms in the world

That would be MTO. Hth
I love how people want the world to be so binary... FWIW, the primary firms for BP in the oil spill litigation (the ultimate bet the company litigation) are Kirkland and Covington (plus S&C for the securities lit side)...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”