Flights Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Flights

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:31 am

If a firm doesn't pay for a flight to get you out there for a second round of interviews is it a red flag or is it something that is more common in the current economic climate? Would it turn you off or is it not really a big deal? Just wondering what you guys think. I'd rather not pay (BROKE!) but then again I don't want to pass up on a good opportunity over something that is actually quite common.

Cavalier

Gold

Re: Flights

Post by Cavalier » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:37 am

Totally depends on the firm and the location. If it's a non-V100 or a small branch office of a larger firm that's located in a secondary market and only hires a handful of summers, usually from the local law schools, it might justifiably expect applicants to pay their own travel. On the other hand, if it's the type of firm that "should" be paying travel for callback interviews and isn't, that's definitely a red flag.

If this is for a second round of interviews, I think you should pay for it despite being broke. I'm not one to recommend an expensive trip for just a screening interview, but at this stage your odds of getting the job are presumably much higher than at the screening stage, so the chance is worth it, in my opinion.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:If a firm doesn't pay for a flight to get you out there for a second round of interviews is it a red flag or is it something that is more common in the current economic climate? Would it turn you off or is it not really a big deal? Just wondering what you guys think. I'd rather not pay (BROKE!) but then again I don't want to pass up on a good opportunity over something that is actually quite common.
I'd tend to think it's just the way the firm operates. Firms' policies on travel reimbursement can vary widely, as long as they make their policies readily available to applicants (see below). That said, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if it is a firm's policy not to reimburse all or part of candidates' travel expenses during callbacks. If you were to find, for example, that you paid for your trip and your top 5%/LR friend did not, I'd be suspect of going to that firm regardless.

EDIT: Cav's advice is TCR. To spend $$$$$ on law school and skimp on interviews is to be pennywise/pound foolish.
NALP website wrote:
Reimbursable Expenses

After an initial on-campus interview — or an initial in-office interview you have arranged on your own — some employers will reimburse you for expenses you incur for a callback interview, such as transportation, hotel accommodations, and meals. Discuss expense reimbursement policies and procedures before you travel to meet with the employers. Each employer has its own guidelines and limits with respect to travel reimbursement, and these policies may vary depending upon whether the interview resulted from an on-campus encounter or a write-in application. Students are responsible for finding out these policies before they travel, and employers are responsible for making these policies widely and easily available to students. Naturally, employers prefer that you take steps to save money when possible: visiting several employers in one trip and purchasing the lowest cost coach fare airplane tickets are recommended. An important note: many employers in a given city/region are willing to share expenses with the other employers you may be visiting in one trip. If you are visiting more than one employer during a single trip, inquire about their willingness to share expenses with the other employers (almost all will appreciate the opportunity to reduce their reimbursement costs through sharing). Many times, one of the employers you visit will serve as your “host” in the city/region, meaning that you will submit all of your expenses to them and they will contact the other employers about sharing the expenses. You will find sample reimbursement forms in the materials provided by many employers for on-campus interviews or on the employer's website. If you don’t find current forms, be sure to get them from the employer before you travel. Many employers state their reimbursement guidelines or limits on their forms, and many have also placed copies of their guidelines on file in the career services offices.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:02 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”