Offer for SA Position = Murder of Law School Motivation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Offer for SA Position = Murder of Law School Motivation

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:37 am

After 2 years part-time of this crap (outside of work and family), I am officially burnt. Anybody else finding it impossible to do school work after getting an offer?

I've been told so many times that grades won't matter after this point, but I know it's not completely true. Still, it's tough to focus. Does anybody have inside info into how much (if at all) grades in the last 2 years matter for securing a job from the SA gig? I'm not aiming at clerkships or anything, either.

Cavalier

Gold

Re: Offer for SA Position = Murder of Law School Motivation

Post by Cavalier » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:51 am

From what I've read, most (but not all) firms won't ask for a transcript again after hiring you for a SA position. They will only check to see that you graduated, if anything. However, I wouldn't slack off if I were you. In the unlikely event that you get no-offered and have to look for a job for post-graduation, weak grades will hurt you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:52 am

From what I understand, grades don't really factor in when it comes to getting full time offers from your SA gig, since it really depends on how you did over the summer. 2L year is generally rough for everyone since they're doing journals and other extracurriculars. Still, just suck it up and get to work. Chances are, you're not going to stay at one firm forever and it's only going to help you if you maintain a good GPA on your resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:23 am

What role do grades play in determining whether you are invited back to your biglaw firm after your 1L summer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:42 am

I'm in the same boat as OP. I have so little motivation right now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:20 am

Does anyone have any information as to which firms ask for transcripts and which don't? Which firms are more inclined to care about 2L performance?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:29 am

Some firms do, I know of firms who have said that they take into account summer performance and "sustained academic achievement" when making official job offers follow 2L summer.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any information as to which firms ask for transcripts and which don't? Which firms are more inclined to care about 2L performance?
Gibson famously cares, but that might be apocryphal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:22 pm

One of my offer letters (V10) noted that summer employment was contingent on a background check, as well as maintaining comparable grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One of my offer letters (V10) noted that summer employment was contingent on a background check, as well as maintaining comparable grades.
Ditto - although mine was from a V11 (that I like to pretend is V10 anyway) firm...:)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:One of my offer letters (V10) noted that summer employment was contingent on a background check, as well as maintaining comparable grades.
Ditto - although mine was from a V11 (that I like to pretend is V10 anyway) firm...:)
Haha, you got me there. It should be a V10! You accept?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”