Quinn Emanuel, Shearman & Sterling or Jones Day (all NYC) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm for litigation in NYC?

Shearman & Sterling
33%
Quinn Emanuel
43%
Jones Day
25%

Total votes: 40

Anonymous User

Quinn Emanuel, Shearman & Sterling or Jones Day (all NYC)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:26 pm

I am primarily interested in litigation. I know Quinn is all litigation and touts its trial prowess. But I have heard thirdhand that it can be rough to be a young associate there.

I liked the people at Shearman but don't think of it as much of a litigation firm.

Jones Day I am somewhat neutral on.

What do you think? I am especially interested in what people feel/know about Quinn.

Anonymous User

Re: Quinn Emanuel, Shearman & Sterling or Jones Day (all NYC)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:53 am

There seems to be a dearth of information on Quinn. What truly distinguishes it from other firms, especially the more established ones? I assume the practice of litigation is fairly similar for associates: (1) research and memos, (2) document review and supervising document review, (3) first cracks at motions and briefs, (4) deposition prep. I have no idea how this could be that much different firm to firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:13 pm

Yes, the work is similar across firms, but the level at which you get to do it differs from firm to firm. At some big firms, doc review predominates the junior associate's career. At other big firms, junior associates get a lot of responsibility.

Quinn is notorious for working their associates hard and being very cheap about it (i.e., while you might be working WLRK hours, you won't be compensated like a WLRK attorney). But, of the three firms you posted, Quinn is by far the most stable. Partnership prospects are about equal at all three (nil), and litigation exit options are better at Quinn.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:28 pm

I've heard that you can become a partner very early on at Quinn if you do good work (4 years or so).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:53 pm

This sounds a bit of an exaggeration. I believe 6 or 7 years is the plan. Would be hard to keep earnings up so high, if associates were being made partner at 4 years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:12 am

What is the average shelf-life of an associate at these firms (Quinn in particular)? 4 years? Then where do you lateral? USAO? Smaller litigation shops.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”