To Drop Out or Graduate? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Patriot1208

Platinum

Re: To Drop Out or Graduate?

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Fine, so maybe I'm an aberration, maybe not. My sense is, more not.
Clearly, that is your problem. Self Awareness FTL in your case.

hjd13

New

Post by hjd13 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:51 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Fine, so maybe I'm an aberration, maybe not. My sense is, more not.
Says the guy posting things like http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2#p3439282

Thank you, I'll take my advice from someone who isn't a RETARD

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:52 pm

OP have you tried doing mock interviews with career services?? Sometimes people can have strange mannerisms or little quirks that they don't even notice until they get feedback on a mock interview. I would recommend trying a couple of mock interviews and applying to some small to midsize firms.

They will want to get a look at you if you can convince them you are serious about wanting to work at a smaller firm. Mass mail and then call to reaffirm interest if you don't get an interview. Also, email alums of your school at the small/medium sized firms you are most interested in--make up reasons for why you want to work there and tell them you would love to hear more about their experiences at the firm. With those grades at a T20, you will get something, but you might have to work a little harder to get it.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Says the guy posting things like http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2#p3439282

Thank you, I'll take my advice from someone who isn't a RETARD
Ok, well before this gets too far off topic, we'll note a couple things.

1) it's funny you felt so offended to spend 15 minutes searching through my old posts
2) it's an off topic forum and people make fun of everyone else
3) If you really are offended by what I posted I'm surprised you would use the word "retard" in such a deragotory way.
4) I may not be as book smart as you, but God knows that the only way someone in ends up in your position is through being a complete and total failure in every way outside of the classroom.

Now before we both get banned (you still might for use of the anon feature) i'm going to stop.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I was wrong to just advise this waitress to make sure that it's what she wanted to do and make sure to research the legal market before committing to a three year, $500K (with opportunity cost etc.) venture?
She was going to make $100,000 a year as a waitress? Sign me up!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I need some advice here as I'm struggling with this decision. I am Top 10% and law review at a T20 school. However, this has not helped me find a job for the summer. I've done 7 callbacks and have heard nothing good at this point. I still have a few things out there but based on my past response my hopes are not up at all.

I have also applied to a lot of less selective firms, especially in my home town. However, none of them will even give me a look and I'm assuming its because they think I will have better opportunities and won't actually come there. And they would be right if I had any better options. But at this point, it is looking like I will not.

The financial part of this is the hardest part. I want to be a lawyer. If I drop out I really have no idea what I would do. I could see myself starting my own business but I don't have the capital to do so right now. I'm already looking at 95k in student loans after I finish this semester including undergrad. If I finish my degree I'll be looking at 155k in loans. My only other chance at biglaw would be to do so after a clerkship. But, I'm going to be competiting for clerkships against all these people who already beat me out for jobs. Even after a clerkship, a biglaw job is not guaranteed anyway. So then I'll be spending another 60k in loans and I might dig myself a hole that is even deeper. I feel like it might be best to cut my losses at this point and stop throwing good money after bad...
I am at a top 3 school and you have 4 more callbacks than I had, so STFU.
Probably because you are an idiot.

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:29 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadhipsters

Bronze

Post by deadhipsters » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:34 pm

KMaine wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I was wrong to just advise this waitress to make sure that it's what she wanted to do and make sure to research the legal market before committing to a three year, $500K (with opportunity cost etc.) venture?

That statement exemplifies this thread. The OP has made outlandish statements throughout the entire thread. I seriously doubt anyone coming from a T20 with this class rank is having trouble finding a job. I call shenanigans/ flame. And seriously, if this is the case then go apply to Legal Aid/ other NPO and use IBR to pay off your loans. Dropping out would be insanity, you'd disqualify yourself from using IBR altogether.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:40 pm

Are you all just applying to top firms? Sometimes you got to start at the bottom to get far in life. you will be surprised how many influential ppl are willing to help you. Many times, small firms have great ppl. I do not make a ton of money but in a year I have built quite a good resume thanks to some ppl I have met.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:52 pm

KMaine wrote:
KMaine, A. I had the exact same thought, and B. after I saw your comment it turned into an image of you serving drinks dressed as a drag-Marilyn Monroe. Awesome.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:53 pm

TCR is to take your strong GPA and try to get into PI, etc. You've already got enough debt where saving 60k is less useful than being able to take advantage of IBR.

Also, the people who are striking out at YHS... stop sucking at life... please...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:54 pm

hjd13 wrote:Thank you, I'll take my advice from someone who isn't a RETARD
Abuse of anon feature + extreme hostility = tempban.

Now, if folks can just stay on topic and try to stay at least a little civil, that'd be a good thing.

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:06 pm

rayiner wrote:TCR is to take your strong GPA and try to get into PI, etc. You've already got enough debt where saving 60k is less useful than being able to take advantage of IBR.
I'm not sure it's TCR. 25 years doing a low paying job you might not actually want may not be ideal. If you like the work then that's one thing, but if not it's going to be one hell of a life.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deadhipsters

Bronze

Post by deadhipsters » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:12 pm

Public Interest work is 10 years with no tax penality at the end. It's a solid deal. Using IBR for Personal Injury law would be suicide, but probably better than dropping out.
Last edited by deadhipsters on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:13 pm

Government work is interesting, pays pretty damn good compared to most careers, and will qualify for debt. Try for that.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:14 pm

I find it ironic how everyone says not to go to law school if you are not going to be at a T1. Apparently, based on the comments on this forum (assuming you are all reliable, truthful and credible people) those at T1s are doing much worse than many ppl at T4s

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:21 pm

rbgrocio wrote:I find it ironic how everyone says not to go to law school if you are not going to be at a T1. Apparently, based on the comments on this forum (assuming you are all reliable, truthful and credible people) those at T1s are doing much worse than many ppl at T4s
Jesus H. Most idiotic post i've seen in a while.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:23 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:I find it ironic how everyone says not to go to law school if you are not going to be at a T1. Apparently, based on the comments on this forum (assuming you are all reliable, truthful and credible people) those at T1s are doing much worse than many ppl at T4s
Jesus H. Most idiotic post i've seen in a while.

Thanks! :)

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:25 pm

deadhipsters wrote:Public Interest work is 10 years with no tax penality at the end. It's a solid deal. Using IBR for Personal Injury law would be suicide, but probably better than dropping out.
Is it only 10? Well, that might not be so bad. And by PI I meant public interest. You have to do PI work for IBR, right?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:29 pm

Last edited by dood on Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

deadhipsters

Bronze

Post by deadhipsters » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:37 pm

Action Jackson wrote:
deadhipsters wrote:Public Interest work is 10 years with no tax penality at the end. It's a solid deal. Using IBR for Personal Injury law would be suicide, but probably better than dropping out.
Is it only 10? Well, that might not be so bad. And by PI I meant public interest. You have to do PI work for IBR, right?
Nope, IBR takes 25 years if you enter private practice. Raw deal. But if thats all you then thats all you got. Better than trying to come up with 1200 a month for your 150,000 dollar student loan. 10 years for PI work.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:38 pm

I wanted to ask this quick question:

How much of an edge does being a tall, handsom, assertive-looking young man actually have on chances in the world of law?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wanted to ask this quick question:

How much of an edge does being a tall, handsom, assertive-looking young man actually have on chances in the world of law?
The same edge it provides in life generally.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:56 pm

MrKappus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I wanted to ask this quick question:

The same edge it provides in life generally.
Which in the professional world, is a good amount.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:56 pm

^ Truth.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”