Found: Typo on cover letter Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BobSacamano

Bronze

Found: Typo on cover letter

Post by BobSacamano » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:47 am

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

So frustrating. It's someone's name (name of a program I am doing) so maybe it's not very obvious. Still, ridiculously frustrating. I've submitted a variation of this cover letter to some 30 employers.

ARRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I hate to have worked so hard for one very tiny thing to potentially thwart all that work.

Anonymous User

Re: Found: Typo on cover letter

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:58 am

Chill. Good warning to everyone to look things over a million times, but I don't think it will hurt you here. Keep your head up. They don't look that closely at these things.

Anonymous User

Re: Found: Typo on cover letter

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:23 pm

you never know.

I had two typos on different cover letters. One to Willkie, where I forgot an " 's ", so it read Willkie Summer Program instead of Willkie's Summer Program. That was a mass mail, and I got dinged real quick from them.

On the other hand, in my Cover Letter in a mass mail to Cravath, I addressed the cover letter in the Dear So and So line to the wrong person (the name in the address line was correct). Still got a screening interview that turned into a callback. Didn't get an offer, but it wasn't because of the typo, it was because I had a terrible interview with one of three partners I met with, who gave me the entire hour to ask questions and didn't ask me one question. It was so painful I wouldn't have hired me.

Anyway, you can't worry about it too much. Hopefully half the places won't catch it, and the other half might not care.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”