Jones Day, Shearman, Arnold & Porter or Milbank (all NY)? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which should I choose?

Jones Day
16%
Shearman & Sterling
53%
Arnold & Porter
16%
Milbank
16%

Total votes: 19

Anonymous User

Jones Day, Shearman, Arnold & Porter or Milbank (all NY)?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:41 pm

I am deciding between these four firms. I want to do litigation. I really liked the people I met at Shearman & Sterling, but most of them don't do litigation. I also don't really think of the firm as much of a litigation firm and Shearman has developed a bit of a reputation as a firm in decline over the last decade for various reasons (falling profits, associate layoffs, a few key partners leaving). But even with all that, the Shearman people seemed nice and interesting (though I know that isn't what the associate satisfaction surveys seem to say). Maybe the Shearman people are just better at pretending to be happy?

Jones Day seems like it may have the best litigation practice (of the places I am choosing from) but I really disliked a bunch of the people I met there. I also am a little wary of the confidential compensation system. JD brags about it as though it is a plus but it also strkes me as way the firm may get away with paying less than market to midlevel and senior associates.

I generally liked the people at Arnold & Porter, but didn't leave the firm with a very strong impression one way or the other. I am worried about being at a branch office of a DC form and even some of the associates I met while interviewing very gently suggested that was an issue from time to time (though they claimed to be happy at the firm).

I have really neutral feelings on Milbank. Again, the people seemed okay, the litigation practice seemed okay as well--but I didn't really leave with much of a good or bad impression of the place.

So where should I go? I welcome your insights, rumor, expereince and gut feelings on the topic!

Anonymous User

Re: Jones Day, Shearman, Arnold & Porter or Milbank (all NY)?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:49 pm

I'd go with A&P if you liked the people. The smaller branch office can be a negative- but I think if you want to do do lit those negatives are probably far outweighed by the possibility of getting more substantive work as a junior.

Anonymous User

Re: Jones Day, Shearman, Arnold & Porter or Milbank (all NY)?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd go with A&P if you liked the people. The smaller branch office can be a negative- but I think if you want to do do lit those negatives are probably far outweighed by the possibility of getting more substantive work as a junior.
Agreed, being in a branch can be a positive. You might have a worse shot at making partner 10 years down the road but that is such a crapshoot that it doesn't really matter. And you will probably get more of an opportunity to work with/get to know the partners, get substantive work, etc. Esp. if the office is growing, which I think A&P's office is. Go where you like to people (but don't base your entire determination on the 4-5 people you met with).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”