struck out at oci-now what? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thuggishruggishbone

New

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Post by thuggishruggishbone » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:23 pm

Only options at this point for op are mass mailings and maybe switch to part-time and do oci again next year. Not good odds, tho

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any way to land biglaw? :roll:
Get a clerkship at the Court of Appeals level.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:44 pm

Honestly just even a district court clerkship. That's my plan if I can get one - get one then reapply. Ugh.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:47 pm

I have a question that is somewhat related. Say you want biglaw but don't get it. But you do manage to get a respectable midlaw position for the summer. What are your chances, assuming your grades remain good and you aren't no-offered, of jumping from the midlaw position to a full time big law position right out of law school? Or are you stuck working midlaw for a few years first? Or are you just SOL?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a question that is somewhat related. Say you want biglaw but don't get it. But you do manage to get a respectable midlaw position for the summer. What are your chances, assuming your grades remain good and you aren't no-offered, of jumping from the midlaw position to a full time big law position right out of law school? Or are you stuck working midlaw for a few years first? Or are you just SOL?
What about at T14 schools with fairly strong MBA programs that allow a 2nd-year JD/MBA application? Is it worth applying to the program if you want to be on the corporate/transactional side? You'll obviously incur more debt, but if you're on a fairly decent scholarship - might it be worth it? On the plus side, you remove yourself another year from the economy and do another 2L-style OCI next year, plus you'll hopefully have a higher GPA after a softer grade curve and more knowledge of certain business areas that interest you. I can only imagine understanding the objectives of businesses will make you better able to service them as counsel. Leaving the whole flight-risk argument aside, is this a decent approach if you can't switch to part-time?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a question that is somewhat related. Say you want biglaw but don't get it. But you do manage to get a respectable midlaw position for the summer. What are your chances, assuming your grades remain good and you aren't no-offered, of jumping from the midlaw position to a full time big law position right out of law school? Or are you stuck working midlaw for a few years first? Or are you just SOL?
I think you are SOL. If you don't start in BigLaw you have no chance of going into BigLaw. That's one of the reasons that all those laid-off attorneys in the past few years are untouchable. You can switch from one BigLaw firm to another comparable firm, but can't go from small/mid law or unemployment line to BigLaw. Sorry.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I think you are SOL. If you don't start in BigLaw you have no chance of going into BigLaw. That's one of the reasons that all those laid-off attorneys in the past few years are untouchable. You can switch from one BigLaw firm to another comparable firm, but can't go from small/mid law or unemployment line to BigLaw. Sorry.
While this response is often true, that's not necessarily the case if you're asking about mid-law SA position -> post-graduation biglaw. Having high grades and an offer from a midlaw firm will help, but it's going to depend on where the economy is and whether or not the firm feels like it over/under-hired the year before. Anecdotally, I have a good friend who is top 5%/LR Ed Board at a second-tier school who got small/mid-law after 2nd year, but next week is going on a V10 callback.

It will depend on a lot of factors, but high grades and an offer will probably be somewhere around necessary, even if not sufficient.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”