struck out at oci-now what? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

struck out at oci-now what?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:23 am

any way to land biglaw? :roll:

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: struck out at oci-now what?

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:23 am

Mass mailings, and prayer.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:31 am

The best solution is to sit down and ask yourself why biglaw has to be the end all, be all.

There are jobs out there -- jobs paying over $100k, some even at big law levels -- that don't have the prestige or vault rankings.

They may not be biglaw, but the obsession with biglaw for the sake of biglaw is contributing to some of the failures ITE.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:35 am

Adjust your expectations. Don't be the 3L who turns down decent jobs waiting for that biglaw job that's never coming.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:05 am

Run for Senate. Alaska, Delaware...

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:The best solution is to sit down and ask yourself why biglaw has to be the end all, be all.

There are jobs out there -- jobs paying over $100k, some even at big law levels -- that don't have the prestige or vault rankings.

They may not be biglaw, but the obsession with biglaw for the sake of biglaw is contributing to some of the failures ITE.
Yeah, I don't think OP cares about Vault rankings. I also don't think any of the trouble "ITE" is people turning away from 100K jobs b/c they are not called "biglaw." Are these jobs going unfilled? What are you talking about?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:10 am

Last edited by dood on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:The best solution is to sit down and ask yourself why biglaw has to be the end all, be all.

lolol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:50 am

Try non big law

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:34 am

KMaine wrote:

Yeah, I don't think OP cares about Vault rankings. I also don't think any of the trouble "ITE" is people turning away from 100K jobs b/c they are not called "biglaw." Are these jobs going unfilled? What are you talking about?
Yes, there are plenty of unfilled legal jobs out there. Small law, mid law, boutiques.

Of course, it somewhat depends on the school, but many firms salivate at the thought of getting, say, a Michigan grad. The problem is that it takes research and hard work to find these firms because OCS doesn't help.

The inability to land a job ITE is only partially attributable to TE.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:20 am

There is no evidence that there are "plenty of unfilled jobs" for recent graduates. Many small, mid-sized and boutique firms hire few or no recent graduates. For the ones that do, it's really not that hard ITE to fill the jobs -- call the best area law school's career center for top student resumes and you'll get dozens.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:01 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:10 am

Objection wrote:
KMaine wrote:

Yes, there are plenty of unfilled legal jobs out there. Small law, mid law, boutiques.

Of course, it somewhat depends on the school, but many firms salivate at the thought of getting, say, a Michigan grad. The problem is that it takes research and hard work to find these firms because OCS doesn't help.

The truth to your statement is highly dependent on what school your hypothetical applicant attends.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:00 pm

seespotrun wrote:
Objection wrote:
KMaine wrote:

The truth to your statement is highly dependent on what school your hypothetical applicant attends.
Well, to be fair, I'm also of the opinion that if it was big law or bust, you shouldn't have gone to a school outside of the t14, and if you didn't have the option to go within t14, you shouldn't be surprised at striking out with big law in any economy.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
seespotrun wrote:
Objection wrote:

Well, to be fair, I'm also of the opinion that if it was big law or bust, you shouldn't have gone to a school outside of the t14, and if you didn't have the option to go within t14, you shouldn't be surprised at striking out with big law in any economy.
Even within the T-14, your statement is probably true for only HYS and maybe CCN.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:18 pm

Corsair wrote:Many people in this thread seem to have no idea what the anonymous feature is for.
Nice to see you, too.

Since when are rules enforced?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:22 pm

Objection wrote:Since when are rules enforced?
The rules are enforced, and discussion of such does not belong in on-topic threads such as these, so drop it.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:27 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Objection wrote:Since when are rules enforced?
The rules are enforced, and discussion of such does not belong in on-topic threads such as these, so drop it.
:lol:

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Objection wrote:
KMaine wrote:

BOOTSTRAPS

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any way to land biglaw? :roll:
This. I am trying mass emailing but no nibbles so far (well one small nibble but too early to see where it'll go). I've emailed probably about 30 or so in the past 2-3 days. One email reject, one automated email, one "we'll be in touch if we're interested" email, and one small nibble email about some possible interest. So it doesn't hurt to try I suppose.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:53 pm

I've heard of mass mailing working for people, even in last year's market and even in primary markets. Look at non-NALP firms, for example. Your OCS should have lists upon list of potential employers. Be patient, though. Sometimes they can call you out of nowhere weeks or months later, sending you scrambling to your laptop as you think, "Who???!!!"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:15 pm

I mass mailed about 25 firms this week. Got a callback (could be a screener, not sure how to define it) today from one of the most respected firms in my home state (you'd probably consider it midlaw).

Otherwise, no dings or anything like that. A couple automated "thank you for your interest" emails, that's about it. Still surprised to get a positive response so quickly from a respectable firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I mass mailed about 25 firms this week. Got a callback (could be a screener, not sure how to define it) today from one of the most respected firms in my home state (you'd probably consider it midlaw).

Otherwise, no dings or anything like that. A couple automated "thank you for your interest" emails, that's about it. Still surprised to get a positive response so quickly from a respectable firm.
I'm surprised mass mails are still working. I won't bother with NY biglaw, but is it too late for NY midlaw? I've already sent out resumes to all the markets where I have some sort of tie (non-NY).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I mass mailed about 25 firms this week. Got a callback (could be a screener, not sure how to define it) today from one of the most respected firms in my home state (you'd probably consider it midlaw).

I'm surprised mass mails are still working. I won't bother with NY biglaw, but is it too late for NY midlaw? I've already sent out resumes to all the markets where I have some sort of tie (non-NY).
The midlaw firm I heard from today is based in New Jersey. Not sure how different NY would be for midlaw. Probably tougher, given that its New York, but its probably worth a shot. But get on it. Every day you delay decreases your chances big time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”