DOJ SLIP 2010 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ SLIP 2010

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you who have accepted offers, have you been contacted about initiating the background check? I accepted last week but haven't heard anything since.
I think it depends on the division. For antitrust, I was given directions about initiating my application two days after i accepted. Also, remember that this week is Thanksgiving-week and so the office may be slower than usual to respond.
Anonymous User wrote:any more antitrust offers?
starting to lose hope. Been a finalist for 2-3 weeks :(
they could have you on a waitlist in case some of us don't pass the background check. :shock:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm not splitting. I'd rather not go into too much detail on my situation, but DOJ is what I've wanted to do basically since I started law school. While I participated in my school's OCI, BigLaw was always a distant second for me.
The reason I was asking is that I am in a similar situation. I've accepted a SLIP position and am wondering what to do with the rest of my summer. I've always wanted DOJ but realize that it's not something to count on and not sure if I've made the right decision.
Me from above again.

Here's how I think of it. I know that getting a funnel offer is far from assured. Some components don't even do them, some do them, but not that regularly. At the same time, though, I wouldn't be happy in a firm right now. It's not what I want to do. I mean, obviously if I hadn't gotten DOJ or something else I wanted I would have sucked it up and done it, but given the opportunity to do what I actually want to do... I have to take a shot at it.

Now, you may not have the distaste that I have for BigLaw, and that could affect your decision. Then again, as much as BigLaw has a reputation for giving lots of perm offers after the summer, it's really a firm-by-firm thing, and isn't universally true....
Ya but SLIP funnel offers are generally a lot more rare than biglaw/midlaw offer rates. Usually the lowest offer rates are around 30-50%. I doubt any department at the DOJ funnels 30-50%...[/quote]

Some BigLaw firms no-offered their entire summer associate class in years past. It might be better these days, but I don't think it's a given.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you who have accepted offers, have you been contacted about initiating the background check? I accepted last week but haven't heard anything since.
Yeah, I have been. But it took them a few weeks from when they gave me an offer to when they contacted me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:10 pm

If we have bad credit (few accounts in collections) , should we be concerned about the background check?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:44 pm

For those of you who have offers, how many weeks is the internship and is it the first or second half of the summer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you who have offers, how many weeks is the internship and is it the first or second half of the summer?
I'm doing 6 weeks over the second half of my summer (Civil Division).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those of you who have offers, how many weeks is the internship and is it the first or second half of the summer?

Can I ask what you'll be doing for the first half of the summer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'll be at a firm for 8 weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'll be at a firm for 8 weeks.
Thanks. Did you ask to split or was the firm job only 8 weeks?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did you ask to split or was the firm job only 8 weeks?
The summer program at the firm is 10 weeks. Before I accepted my offer, I called the attorney on the hiring committee (who interviewed me at OCI and notified me of my offer) and told her that I was applying to government positions. I made it pretty clear that I would only accept if the firm was cool with a split. The firm, though, was pretty open to it from the start. My grades are solid and I had offers from a number of peer firms, so that likely improved my bargaining position too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
The summer program at the firm is 10 weeks. Before I accepted my offer, I called the attorney on the hiring committee (who interviewed me at OCI and notified me of my offer) and told her that I was applying to government positions. I made it pretty clear that I would only accept if the firm was cool with a split. The firm, though, was pretty open to it from the start. My grades are solid and I had offers from a number of peer firms, so that likely improved my bargaining position too.
Wow, congrats! Do you plan to stay at the firm if you get an offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Wow, congrats! Do you plan to stay at the firm if you get an offer?
Thanks. The firm isn't my first choice long-term. I really only took the offer to hedge against getting shutout of my preferred government positions. Probably would've spent all 10 weeks at DOJ if they had given me an offer before the OCI process concluded.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:47 am

Hey all--

Has anyone had heard anything from the BOP SLIP program since they had an interview? My interviewer told me they that we would likely know something before Thanksgiving, but I haven't heard anything yet. Also, my status still says "Selected for Further Consideration."

Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all--

Has anyone had heard anything from the BOP SLIP program since they had an interview? My interviewer told me they that we would likely know something before Thanksgiving, but I haven't heard anything yet. Also, my status still says "Selected for Further Consideration."

Thanks.
I haven't heard anything either. It's been about a month now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks.
I was in the same boat, and emailed the ARC - as far as I understand, the status not changing + not being contacted means not selected as a finalist. Sorry if that's the case - it was a bummer for me too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks.
I was in the same boat, and emailed the ARC - as far as I understand, the status not changing + not being contacted means not selected as a finalist. Sorry if that's the case - it was a bummer for me too.
They told you that you were not a finalist? Did they indicate they had already selected their finalists?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:39 pm

interviewed a while ago w/civil and got my rejection in mail today

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:interviewed a while ago w/civil and got my rejection in mail today
anyone else hear anything else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:27 pm

Any alternates still waiting to hear back? I'm an alternate for EOIR and am thinking the 28 day deadline has to be about up for the people who received 1st round offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:44 pm

Got my formal offer letter in the mail. Wonder if the timing with the rejection letters is 'cause they send everything out at the same time...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:22 pm

im taking that if you haven't heard back by now and were designated a finalist that you are prob an alternate?

lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:im taking that if you haven't heard back by now and were designated a finalist that you are prob an alternate?

lol
I found out that I'm an alternate, but it seems like the people they gave first round offers to shouldve responded already

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:57 pm

Anyone know an alternate for any of the divisions who has been given an offer yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:29 am

Sorry to ask this, but has anyone heard anything from BOP. Have heard nothing since callback at beginning of November, and no status change on the app site. Thanks and happy holidays.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:19 pm

I'm still waiting for another division, too. I'd call the BOP arc sometime next week to inquire about your application status.

I don't think avue status changes after listing people as finalists.

Good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”