do all biglaw SA gigs pay the same? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Gold

Re: do all biglaw SA gigs pay the same?

Post by 005618502 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:22 am

KMaine wrote:Now that I look at the second offer, I believe the firm pays twice a month rather than once every two weeks. In that case, the yearly comes out to $160,000/yr.
How did no one else see the flaw in this statement!

And really 160K=95K after taxes! that sounds as rediculous as the quoted comment

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:24 am

jt1341 wrote:
KMaine wrote:Now that I look at the second offer, I believe the firm pays twice a month rather than once every two weeks. In that case, the yearly comes out to $160,000/yr.

And really 160K=95K after taxes! that sounds as rediculous as the quoted comment
You're ridiculous.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
jt1341 wrote:

You're ridiculous.
I am curious what is the difference between twice a month and once every two weeks?

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:28 am

underdawg wrote:oh yeah. you also probably want a car if you live in jc/hoboken unless you plan to only sleep in nj
I mean, if NYC is only a train ride away... why? Even if you add in a monthly pass to MTA, we're talking about less than $1100/year, currently. That's quite a bit less than the $5k talked about above.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jt1341 wrote:

You're ridiculous.
I am curious what is the difference between twice a month and once every two weeks?
Two paychecks per year, you undeservedly anonymous twit. (The ad hom is a reaction to the anon abuse, not the substance, btw)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pocket herc

Bronze

Post by pocket herc » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:36 am

with 52 weeks in a year a payment every two weeks= 26 payments
with 12 months in a year a payment twice a month=24 payments

Difference, as noted in the post above= 2 payments

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:32 am

pocket herc wrote:with 52 weeks in a year a payment every two weeks= 26 payments
with 12 months in a year a payment twice a month=24 payments

Difference, as noted in the post above= 2 payments
I feel like a dumbass, i thought it was a typo and i was the only one to catch it. stupid me, this is TLS after all lol

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:57 am

ITT we learn to divide.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:16 pm

JG Hall wrote:ITT we learn to divide.
It's tough but I think if we persist we can do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:21 pm

clintonius wrote:
underdawg wrote:oh yeah. you also probably want a car if you live in jc/hoboken unless you plan to only sleep in nj
I mean, if NYC is only a train ride away... why? Even if you add in a monthly pass to MTA, we're talking about less than $1100/year, currently. That's quite a bit less than the $5k talked about above.
There was a definite stigma in my NYC office against attorneys who lived outside of Manhattan, let alone in NJ.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:24 pm

JG Hall wrote:You're ridiculous.
jt1341 wrote:I am curious what is the difference between twice a month and once every two weeks?
Didn't need to be anonymous.
clintonius wrote:Two paychecks per year, you undeservedly anonymous twit. (The ad hom is a reaction to the anon abuse, not the substance, btw)
Ad hominems aren't appropriate, and neither is discussion of anon abuse in an on-topic thread. Debate or commentary about use of the anon feature in an on-topic thread derails the thread, and thus should not happen. Just report it and let it go.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:30 pm

paratactical wrote:There was a definite stigma in my NYC office against attorneys who lived outside of Manhattan, let alone in NJ.
I find this sad, since there are parts of Brooklyn that are very cool places to live right now. If I end up in NY I'll probably end up representing the 718.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:08 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
paratactical wrote:There was a definite stigma in my NYC office against attorneys who lived outside of Manhattan, let alone in NJ.
I find this sad, since there are parts of Brooklyn that are very cool places to live right now. If I end up in NY I'll probably end up representing the 718.
Park Slope or Red Hook or such is fine, but don't live on the L.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:31 pm

paratactical wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
What's wrong with Billysburg?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
paratactical wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
What's wrong with Billysburg?
If you're the kind of person to call it that, I suspect that nothing I could say would sufficiently explain to you why that place is looked upon with nothing but disdain in the professional world.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:57 pm

The exception to the NJ rule being, of course, Short Hills and other such places. But that really doesn't count until you're partner.

Para, would the stigma apply to people living in NJ for their SA tenure?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:00 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:08 pm

That makes sense. I moved from NJ to Brooklyn about a year ago, and the price of a car home was cut in two. Also had to work an hour longer in NJ to get the car.

Totally agree that summering in NYC would be an option best taken advantage of by living in the city (I'm already here, so was just asking out of curiosity). Plus any financial benefits are going to be minimal, considering it's only 12 weeks or so.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”