Cravath or Covington Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which should I choose

Cravath
44%
Covington
56%

Total votes: 61

Anonymous User

Re: Cravath or Covington

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:48 am

rayiner wrote:
So, I'm deciding between Cravath and Covington DC. I'm interested in litigation. I want to be at a firm that I could see myself working longterm, and I would also like to work somewhere that has good exit options in government.
How is Covington not a complete no-brainer here?

Because most of the people posting on here have never been in a position to choose between a V5 and a top DC firm. Things look different from up close than from far away. Many of the postings / votes on here seem to be based purely on Vault rankings. I could probably put a poll up that said Wachtell versus SullCrom for general corporate / non-M&A practice and Wachtell would win because people can't look past minor differences in rankings.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:
So, I'm deciding between Cravath and Covington DC. I'm interested in litigation. I want to be at a firm that I could see myself working longterm, and I would also like to work somewhere that has good exit options in government.
How is Covington not a complete no-brainer here?

Because most of the people posting on here have never been in a position to choose between a V5 and a top DC firm. Things look different from up close than from far away. Many of the postings / votes on here seem to be based purely on Vault rankings. I could probably put a poll up that said Wachtell versus SullCrom for general corporate / non-M&A practice and Wachtell would win because people can't look past minor differences in rankings.
Er, in that case, Wachtel would win because their bonuses are 100% of base salary, partnership prospects are basically 100%, etc. General corporate/non-M&A be damned, people know Wachtel isn't as good at it, but in the end, money talks.

Edit: But otherwise, yeah, your point is credited.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:26 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Er, in that case, Wachtel would win because their bonuses are 100% of base salary, partnership prospects are basically 100%, etc. General corporate/non-M&A be damned, people know Wachtel isn't as good at it, but in the end, money talks.

Edit: But otherwise, yeah, your point is credited.
This is a longstanding urban myth perpetuated on TLS and other online law student focused forums. Wachtell's bonuses were at one time 100 percent. However, they are not consistently 100 percent and apparently haven't been for some years. They gave 100 percent bonuses (sometimes) during the boom. Current associates are not getting 100 percent bonuses. In fact, based off of recent history, associates at Susman and Boies are getting higher bonuses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”