Jones Day (SF) vs. Gibson Dunn (Palo Alto) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which one?

Gibson Dunn (Palo Alto)
55%
Jones Day (SF)
45%

Total votes: 11

Anonymous User

Jones Day (SF) vs. Gibson Dunn (Palo Alto)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:45 pm

Yep, another one of those threads...

I'm looking to: do corporate work, be secure in my job, have some exposure to international work, and work in a firm with good culture.

I'm gonna list my personal pros and cons below, but would love to hear people's assessments of the firm, exit options, wether my pros/cons are on point, personal opinions, etc.

Gibson Dunn:

Pros:
-Great culture - everyone seemed very nice
-Winner of mid-level associate satisfaction survey (I think this speaks volumes)
-In silicon valley - tons of corporate work, would be very interested in doing work with VCs and emerging companies
-Free market system - can choose my own path
-Smallish office where everyone knows everyone else
-Prestigious (esp in CA) with good exit options
-Did not fire anyone

Cons:
-Big firm, but not Jones Day in terms of global reach and global clients
-Located in Silicon Valley - suburbs (boo)

Jones Day:

Pros:
-Gigantic firm, global reach, tons of international work
-In SF - exciting! Amazing offices too, what a view
-The corporate department is growing rapidly in the office - was told starting work in 2 years would be great for my career because the corporate department is going to really grow and I will be at the bottom floor.
-Great partners, who from what I can tell, REALLY look out for younger associates and help their careers along
-Also did not fire anyone!

Cons:
-Bigger office, less personal
-Less inclusive culture - got the feeling it was less collegial then gibson dunn, even though everyone was very nice
-As of now, less developed corporate practice, no VC work or emerging companies work
-Slightly less prestigious, slightly worse exit options

I think that about does it - any advice, insight, etc would be much appreciated.

Return to “Legal Employment”