Is scheduling a Friday callback really that bad? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Is scheduling a Friday callback really that bad?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:57 am

Drake014 wrote:

Partners take off summer/early fall afternoons. Those are the most important interviewers.
I think you guys are having delusions about what your hours will be when you make partner.[/quote]

I guess the partners that spoke with me have the delusions.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I guess the partners that spoke with me have the delusions.
Perhaps you're misquoting them as badly as you're misquoting above.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Remind me again, why are Friday callbacks a bad idea?

I had a callback the Friday before Labor Day. Everyone was cheerful and happy. I got an offer.

Because a lot of people take off Fridays and do not want to be spending the time they could have had playing golf with interviewing a law student.

IDK about moving the date. It depends on how close you are to it. By doing so, you are changing everyone's schedule who was going to interview you, and it inconveniences all of them. If the CB is less than a week away, I would not reschedule it.
This is the OP. The CB is less than a week away, but so far the firms in the same market (NY) where I've had other CBs have only notified me of my interviewers the night before the interview. I think a lot of firms set up the schedule the day before, at least in New York.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:37 pm

at my firm (which is not lifestyle by any means), people would duck out early on friday when they could. and in my wing, the partners would always bounce early on fridays. i think basically partner at least sometimes means "work from home whenever you want and it still makes sense" or "face time now counts for nothing" so it's not like their absence means they're not working. i've seen partners roll into work when i was getting lunch...but then they'd be like, man i've been writing this brief all morning long. so yeah friday callbacks might not be great at some firms because if there's nothing keeping them in the office, they'd probably rather work from home.

also anyone else find it weird that 99% of partners seem to be married with children?
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:45 pm

underdawg wrote:at my firm (which is not lifestyle by any means), people would duck out early on friday when they could. and in my wing, the partners would always bounce early on fridays. i think basically partner at least sometimes means "work from home whenever you want and it still makes sense" or "face time now counts for nothing" so it's not like their absence means they're not working. i've seen partners roll into work when i was getting lunch...but then they'd be like, man i've been writing this brief all morning long. so yeah friday callbacks might not be great at some firms because if there's nothing keeping them in the office, they'd probably rather work from home.

also anyone else find it weird that 99% of partners seem to be married with children?
Easier to bind someone to the wheel when they have a wife and kids to support. May also signal those people with a certain level of social skills.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nleefer

New

Post by nleefer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:01 pm

I've had a couple of Friday callbacks, and they haven't seemed any different from callbacks on other days.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:48 pm

nleefer wrote:I've had a couple of Friday callbacks, and they haven't seemed any different from callbacks on other days.
Have you gotten results yet?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:10 pm

Since posters ITT seem to demand my uninformed opinion, I see no reason why a Friday CB would be a bad idea. If anything, I baselessly assert that since most people are in a better mood on a Friday than on a Monday, it'll be easier to make a good impression.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:18 pm

underdawg wrote: also anyone else find it weird that 99% of partners seem to be married with children?
Old rich white guys getting married and having kids? Next you'll be telling me they all live in huge houses in the suburbs!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”