Do firms call employers? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do firms call employers?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:36 pm

Do you think the firms typically call your employers to get a reference or verify your position during this whole cb madness?

wiseowl

Silver

Re: Do firms call employers?

Post by wiseowl » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:37 pm

some do, some don't.

i don't mean to be snarky, but this is literally how it is.

topsome

New

Post by topsome » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:38 pm

wiseowl wrote:some do, some don't.

i don't mean to be snarky, but this is literally how it is.
What would you say is the ratio? like 5% do? 10% do? Where would they get the phone numbers? sorry if i sound naive.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:42 pm

topsome wrote: Where would they get the phone numbers?

--ImageRemoved--

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:43 pm

Some firms ask for references in their OCI posting, so it's pretty clear they may use them. If you have contact info on your resume for previous employers (I don't; we were advised not to) there might be a higher chance of it happening.

It's impossible to really set a percentage. I highly doubt any firm is going to take the time to look up contact info for employers if you didn't provide it. That being said, if you don't think the employer would speak positively about you, I'd consider whether or not you want that employer on your resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:48 pm

wiseowl wrote:That being said, if you don't think the employer would speak positively about you, I'd consider whether or not you want that employer on your resume.
This is a really great point. I've always been a big fan of the: if you don't have someone at the job that will say good things about you, you don't want them on your resume. The exception is for the big corporate places that refuse to do anything but give out your title and dates of employment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:52 pm

I know for a fact that some V20 does, because they called mine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:54 pm

Yep - some employers have definitely called places you've worked at this summer (I know they called the firm I summered at).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:59 pm

paratactical wrote:
wiseowl wrote:That being said, if you don't think the employer would speak positively about you, I'd consider whether or not you want that employer on your resume.
This is a really great point. I've always been a big fan of the: if you don't have someone at the job that will say good things about you, you don't want them on your resume. The exception is for the big corporate places that refuse to do anything but give out your title and dates of employment.
Yeah but there's really nothing i can do about that now...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tsispilos

Bronze

Post by Tsispilos » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:48 pm

paratactical wrote:
is leaving out an employer on your resume considered ethical? I mean, I can see how some would view this as misleading.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:54 pm

Tsispilos wrote:
paratactical wrote:
is leaving out an employer on your resume considered ethical? I mean, I can see how some would view this as misleading.
lolwut?

Most resumes only contain 3-4 jobs. Lots of people have had more jobs than that.

Tsispilos

Bronze

Post by Tsispilos » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:56 pm

paratactical wrote:
Tsispilos wrote:
paratactical wrote:
lolwut?

Most resumes only contain 3-4 jobs. Lots of people have had more jobs than that.
right, i was talking in terms of legal jobs. most law school resumes don't have more than 1-3 legal jobs listed. if you've worked at 2 firms, and one of them didn't like you, so you only listed one firm, that seems arguably sketchy.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:59 pm

Tsispilos wrote: right, i was talking in terms of legal jobs. most law school resumes don't have more than 1-3 legal jobs listed. if you've worked at 2 firms, and one of them didn't like you, so you only listed one firm, that seems arguably sketchy.
Gotcha. I see the point there. I think in those cases, you just have to figure out how to spin it - "not the right fit", etc. But yeah, I suppose you're right about listing both legal jobs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”