1L summer employment - how tough ITE? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L summer employment - how tough ITE?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:42 pm

paratactical wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The four credited ways to be a 1L summer associate:

1) SEO
2) Diversity Fellowships
3) Anbyce at NYU Law
4) BigTex firms (assuming you have a connection to the market)
5) IPSECURE.

Regarding 1-3, since most top firms take 1Ls through those routes, it's rare that there will be additional spots for regular 1Ls when time comes to apply.
Fixt.
If you're going to fix my post, at least have the decency change the "four" above the list to "five."
If you're going to whine about people fixing your post, at least have the decency to stop posting anonymously when you're not revealing anything that could possibly identify you.
The post was in jest. Relax.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:48 pm

flaming one another is a misuse of the anon feature

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The four credited ways to be a 1L summer associate:

1) SEO
2) Diversity Fellowships
3) Anbyce at NYU Law
4) BigTex firms (assuming you have a connection to the market)

Regarding 1-3, since most top firms take 1Ls through those routes, it's rare that there will be additional spots for regular 1Ls when time comes to apply.
The SEO bit is credited. I know a few SEOs who already have offers for next summer. For the minorities (that may be more broadly defined than you would think) that happen to be passing through this thread, SEO is a good way of potentially cracking into the 1L market.

The diversity fellowships are definitely out there as well, but there are also general fellowship spots available IIRC. That's one of those things that requires some digging to find, and it's probably just as crazy competitive as anything else in this market.

I do wonder though, how hard it is to crack into a smaller home market for that first summer if you're coming from a school with more of a national reach.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:17 pm

It's doable, at least at CLS, but hard. I know a dude with straight As his 1L fall who didn't get one (and, he is fine personality-wise and all that). It's not easy. Your time would be better spent targeting "prestigious" gov positions, like the USAO or something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's doable, at least at CLS, but hard. I know a dude with straight As his 1L fall who didn't get one (and, he is fine personality-wise and all that). It's not easy. Your time would be better spent targeting "prestigious" gov positions, like the USAO or something.
Mind listing these, or telling me where I can find them? I am starting from scratch here.

Is it basically a matter for career services, or do most 1Ls go digging on their own, pulling in any networks they may know, etc.??

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Career Services at Northwester said 9% got 1L paid positions at a firm last year.

When you take out diversity and the few IP spots, its pretty much not an option.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's doable, at least at CLS, but hard. I know a dude with straight As his 1L fall who didn't get one (and, he is fine personality-wise and all that). It's not easy. Your time would be better spent targeting "prestigious" gov positions, like the USAO or something.
Mind listing these, or telling me where I can find them? I am starting from scratch here.

Is it basically a matter for career services, or do most 1Ls go digging on their own, pulling in any networks they may know, etc.??

1. Do not worry about this now. It is mid-Sept. Most gov/PI jobs do not even start to hire 1Ls (or interview, for that matter) until post-New Years. So, chill.
2. Your career services office should have something that lists employers who hired people from your school in previous years. Ours is online, for example, and we can search the index by location, type of employer, etc.
3. If you want to work for the feds for a summer:

http://www.law.arizona.edu/career/honorshandbook.cfm (you need a subscription, but your school should have one...lists a ton of gov jobs)
http://www.justice.gov/oarm/ (DOJ...doesn't look like they have the positions up yet, though...it will fill out, eventually, but not soon)

Any USAO (United States Attorney's Office) you can apply to directly by going to Google, typing in "United States Attorney's Office, whatever state/district," and checking out their individual site. HTH

Anyway, stuff really isn't up, yet, because it is far too early. They are only doing 2Ls, atm.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:25 pm

ITT: way too much negativity

I know several non-URM's / non-t14 students that got paying gigs at good firms last year. The key point is that 1L summer gigs are not based on grades (with obvious exceptions) because of the timing of it all. It is ALL about networking into one. One buddy (at a t30) who got a 2k/week (Secondary market) gig got his by e-mailing alums in the city and doing informational interviews. He impressed the people at the informational interviews and got actual interviews which turned into a job (he had multiple offers). While my paying gig was much less (like $600-700 wk depending on hours worked) I got it by contacting old family friends that were lawyers, one of which had his own practice and offered me a spot for both winter break and 1L summer. FWIW I was at a t4 last year and there were even a few kids there with paying 1L gigs, mostly at small firms. So while getting paid v100 1L jobs is super tough, getting a paid firm job is certainly not impossible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:27 pm

JPU wrote:ITT: way too much negativity

I know several non-URM's / non-t14 students that got paying gigs at good firms last year. The key point is that 1L summer gigs are not based on grades (with obvious exceptions) because of the timing of it all. It is ALL about networking into one. One buddy (at a t30) who got a 2k/week (Secondary market) gig got his by e-mailing alums in the city and doing informational interviews. He impressed the people at the informational interviews and got actual interviews which turned into a job (he had multiple offers). While my paying gig was much less (like $600-700 wk depending on hours worked) I got it by contacting old family friends that were lawyers, one of which had his own practice and offered me a spot for both winter break and 1L summer. FWIW I was at a t4 last year and there were even a few kids there with paying 1L gigs, mostly at small firms. So while getting paid v100 1L jobs is super tough, getting a paid firm job is certainly not impossible.

I don't think people are saying it's impossible. Just hard. And, I think most people here were thinking of V100. The V100s that took 1Ls from my CCN definitely did look at your grades, waiting until after they had been released to do interviews.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:59 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

1. Do not worry about this now. It is mid-Sept. Most gov/PI jobs do not even start to hire 1Ls (or interview, for that matter) until post-New Years. So, chill.
2. Your career services office should have something that lists employers who hired people from your school in previous years. Ours is online, for example, and we can search the index by location, type of employer, etc.
3. If you want to work for the feds for a summer:

http://www.law.arizona.edu/career/honorshandbook.cfm (you need a subscription, but your school should have one...lists a ton of gov jobs)
http://www.justice.gov/oarm/ (DOJ...doesn't look like they have the positions up yet, though...it will fill out, eventually, but not soon)

Any USAO (United States Attorney's Office) you can apply to directly by going to Google, typing in "United States Attorney's Office, whatever state/district," and checking out their individual site. HTH

Anyway, stuff really isn't up, yet, because it is far too early. They are only doing 2Ls, atm.
yw, by the way.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”