Tell a firm it is your first choice? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tell a firm it is your first choice?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:12 pm

Thoughts on putting a line in your post-call back thank you note about the firm being your first choice? (Assuming, of course, that that is truly the case and you would definitely accept if offered a position).

Anonymous User

Re: Tell a firm it is your first choice?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on putting a line in your post-call back thank you note about the firm being your first choice? (Assuming, of course, that that is truly the case and you would definitely accept if offered a position).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FltRUoAaGdo

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on putting a line in your post-call back thank you note about the firm being your first choice? (Assuming, of course, that that is truly the case and you would definitely accept if offered a position).

Sorry OP this isn't a useful post but I have to say that video is hilarious! :)

Indubitably

New

Post by Indubitably » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I wish all problems in life could be solved by linking to a YouTube rap video made by white people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:09 pm

Only do this if it legitimately your first choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:12 pm

I think this is fine (and in fact I did this on a callback) if you're being honest and if you can try to convince them that you're honest by giving reasons for why the firm is your first choice.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:14 pm

I think this is fine as well. Firms are happy to know they're not wasting their offers. If you'd legitimately accept if given the chance, then tell them so.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Hands down my favorite Law Revue video of the year.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:18 pm

I personally don't think it's something you write. Saying it, especially saying it to someone you know is on the hiring committee, means more. Just be prepared to accept the offer as soon as you get it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:20 pm

Unemployed wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Hands down my favorite Law Revue video of the year.

You didn't like ours? CLS was good, bro.

NU also had a great one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeMXf_g7y3o

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:25 pm

If you get an OCI friend, keep it on the low, nobody wanna know, you've got a ways to go
If you get an in-firm interview, keep it on the low, nobody wanna know, you've got a ways to go
If you get a dinner invite, keep it on the low, nobody wanna know, you've got a ways to go
If you make it past that, then you're on the right track,
If you played your cards right then they might just call you back

radek

New

Post by radek » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:27 pm

Kohinoor wrote:If you get an OCI friend, keep it on the low, nobody wanna know, you've got a ways to go
If you get an in-firm interview, keep it on the low, nobody wanna know, you've got a ways to go
If you get a dinner invite, keep it on the low, nobody wanna know, you've got a ways to go
If you make it past that, then you're on the right track,
If you played your cards right then they might just call you back

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:32 pm

--ImageRemoved--

"If your interviewer stares at you - act as if they're not, act as if they're not..."

Did this happen to anyone else? It happened to me twice...
Anonymous User wrote:You didn't like ours? CLS was good, bro.
CLS Video Score:
#1. Great concept (+10)
#2. Tuning issues (-10)
#3. Actors/Singers are ballers (+50)
#4. Confusion about factual impossibility and mistake of fact (-10)
#5. Imposed #4 on me 3 days before my crimlaw exam (-30)
#6. Marvin Chirelstein randomly rings a bell. Twice. (+100)

Total: 110

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:57 pm

I'm of the philosophy that you never say this to a firm, for the same reason that you never tell a girl/guy, "I really like you, a lot" before they agree to go out w/ you. It makes you look desperate and sends them looking for someone cooler.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm of the philosophy that you never say this to a firm, for the same reason that you never tell a girl/guy, "I really like you, a lot" before they agree to go out w/ you. It makes you look desperate and sends them looking for someone cooler.
if you have other callbacks and have told the firm about these (since they usually have ended up asking), I think things are a bit different.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:05 am

I would not say anything about rankings to a firm, unless I was asked first. If I would accept the offer( meaning they were in my top5 or whatever), I would tell them that I am very interested. If I knew that I would never accept, then I would tell them no.
I think this is a topic that is best not brought up. Why put even a glimmer of doubt in their minds, or place yourself in a sticky spot?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:11 am

I feel like some firms are so self-satisfied that it would be detrimental to tell them they were your first choice simply because they'd be insulted you didn't think it was a given.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

radek

New

Post by radek » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:I feel like some firms are so self-satisfied that it would be detrimental to tell them they were your first choice simply because they'd be insulted you didn't think it was a given.
lolwut? This probably isn't an issue for most firms.

I agree that voluntarily telling an interviewer that his/her firm is your top choice is dumb. You should wait to see if he/she brings it up in the interview. But if they bring it up, you should tell them. That's what the WANT to hear.

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:34 pm

dbt wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm of the philosophy that you never say this to a firm, for the same reason that you never tell a girl/guy, "I really like you, a lot" before they agree to go out w/ you. It makes you look desperate and sends them looking for someone cooler.
if you have other callbacks and have told the firm about these (since they usually have ended up asking), I think things are a bit different.
Because... they're likelier to assume that it is just some bullshit comment & probably be correct in that assumption?

I'm missing something here. You tell a firm that it's your first choice when you accept the offer. This isn't a law school waitlist. If you really enjoyed your callback at a particular firm, then there are appropriate ways of communicating that without saying "this is my first choice."

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:01 pm

I definitely wouldn't state this directly in a cover letter. Do tell them why you're interested, do tell them about any connections you have. Don't just start with "I WOULD WORK HERE OVER ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD." It's weird and desperate. It also seems either dishonest or foolish because you haven't even had the chance to interview and meet people yet.

I wouldn't volunteer this at all in fact. If you are in an interview and your interviewers seems to be fishing around for this kind of information, then you can imply it or maybe state it directly. At this point your reasoning should be transparent.

A similar issue that seems to be more common is when you're trying to get into a smaller market and they want to know about your ties and whether you're interested in living there. That focuses on the market rather than the particular firm. This can be very important in some places.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:00 am

i agree that it would be weird to tell them that. you don't want to sound too desperate and it may come off as strange that you've decided that they're your first choice even before going in and meeting a bunch of people.

when i did a callback at my top-choice firm, i was asked where else i was consideration. i told them honestly the 2 or 3 other firms that i was also seriously considering and then immediately told them why i liked their firm in particular - something like "I'm also considering X and Y - BUT i'm definitely really drawn to your strong ABC practice and your track record in handling DEF transactions. I also really enjoyed meeting everyone so far today and it seems like a great place to work." Offer came few hours after callback.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:15 pm

I did it at my top choice firm. The firm was always a bit of a reach for me so I thought the potential benefit was worth the risk of not getting an SA there since I was unlikely to get an SA there anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:21 pm

I told my actual top choice firm that they were during OCI and my interviewer said that it was a good idea to let her know. I got a callback and now am waiting for the decision.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:57 pm

I told interviewers at my top choice firm & office that they were my #1 choice during my cb. I should be hearing back any day now so I'll let you guys know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:24 pm

not OP here but thought i'd post in this thread -- seemed like the thread got a little derailed. Not talking about telling an interviewer, or stating in a cover letter. This is after the callback.

I really want to send a thank you to the recruiting coordinator (she knows where else I've interviewed) to let her know that the firm is my top choice. If I am going to get dinged anyways, it won't make a difference. If I am going to get an offer, it also won't make a difference. My thought is that if I am borderline, perhaps this will help me get an offer.

Instead of a long email explaining why, I was thinking just keeping it simple and short: after an introductory thank you paragraph I'd simply tell them I would accept their offer if given one.

FYI, the callback was Thursday afternoon, so perhaps to soon?

Thoughts?

Thanks TLS!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”