Cadwalader offers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Cadwalader offers

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone tell me why the QOL at Cadwalader is so infamous? It doesn't sound like the hours are any worse than at other big law firms. And I've heard stories about -- very -- difficult partners everywhere. Why is Cadwalader known to be so bad? I enjoyed my callback but am scared about its reputation.
Likewise. Currently debating a Cadwalader offer. Any chance we can get an honest discussion of pros/cons of working there?

Although layoffs certainly leave a bad taste, am I naive in thinking that the firm did indeed "right-size" and therefore would be able to weather a double-dip recession without layoffs?

There's probably no denying that Cadwalader uses a "churn and burn" business model. I'm probably not looking to make partner, so the more relevant question is what kind of exit opportunities would I have from Cadwalader?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone tell me why the QOL at Cadwalader is so infamous? It doesn't sound like the hours are any worse than at other big law firms. And I've heard stories about -- very -- difficult partners everywhere. Why is Cadwalader known to be so bad? I enjoyed my callback but am scared about its reputation.
Likewise. Currently debating a Cadwalader offer. Any chance we can get an honest discussion of pros/cons of working there?

Although layoffs certainly leave a bad taste, am I naive in thinking that the firm did indeed "right-size" and therefore would be able to weather a double-dip recession without layoffs?

There's probably no denying that Cadwalader uses a "churn and burn" business model. I'm probably not looking to make partner, so the more relevant question is what kind of exit opportunities would I have from Cadwalader?
Really, are there any big firms that don't use a "churn and burn" business model? At the end of the day, these are money-making enterprises. Irrespective of what the firms' recruiting paper say (or somewhat nebulous comments on Vault, et al.), it seems that people tend to have similar experiences at any firm. Are firms really going to turn down projects to save associates from having to work nights and weekends?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:56 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:29 pm

Can anyone tell me what the 2:56 post said? I think a bunch of us are really curious about the answer here and any insight will be much appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Really, are there any big firms that don't use a "churn and burn" business model? At the end of the day, these are money-making enterprises. Irrespective of what the firms' recruiting paper say (or somewhat nebulous comments on Vault, et al.), it seems that people tend to have similar experiences at any firm. Are firms really going to turn down projects to save associates from having to work nights and weekends?
Not suggesting that -- it just seems that cadwalader has a worse reputation than other firms on these forums and just trying to ascertain why.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:54 am

This is actually an interesting question. From what I've heard, all of this stuff about firm "culture" tends to be nonsense propagated by law students and recruiting departments. And does anyone in the legal community actually care about Vault rankings?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:07 pm

I am a T14 2L. I interviewed with CWT 2 weeks ago, and accepted their offer.

I was concerned about their reputation before I got to their office, but the meetings I had during my callback were very encouraging as to where the culture of the firm may be heading. The interviews I had there were among the nicest I had during the recruiting process. The first partner was a little distant at first, but then warmed up and we had a substantive talk about a legal topic we both found interesting. The second partner I met was really laid back and California-cool, and didn't give off any kind of workaholic-slavedriver vibe. Both associates I spoke with were chipper and bright-eyed, and really seemed to like what they did.

Perhaps I was lucky to get 4 good interviewers, but I really think all the negativity at CWT is over-hyped ... at least I hope to God that is the case! I think CWT knows that culture is an area of concern for many incoming lawyers, and while the firm is redefining their practice, they are likely going to change this aspect of the firm, too.

I know that for any BigLaw firm, it'll always be about the money - let's keep it real - that's why we go to these places. However, now that Robert Link, the ex-chairman who is the one most often credited with turning CWT into a super-competitive "jerk store," is out of the picture, I think the firm will see a better QOL in the very near future.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:09 pm

I was PO'd that they scheduled me for a time that allowed them to buy neither lunch nor dinner. However, if cutting costs on interviews allows them to lay fewer people off, more power to'em!

Anonymous Abuser

New

Post by Anonymous Abuser » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:15 pm

36.33% layoffs
Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft on Tuesday reported a 28 percent increase in profits per partner

That's why everyone hates CWT.

Maybe they get a bad rep because they're one of the more glaring examples and most law firms act like this, but oh well, life isn't far, as they gladly showed the first year associates they laid off.

Contrast with a firm like Kirkland that did relatively minimal layoffs and had essentially a stable PPP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am a T14 2L. I interviewed with CWT 2 weeks ago, and accepted their offer.

I was concerned about their reputation before I got to their office, but the meetings I had during my callback were very encouraging as to where the culture of the firm may be heading. The interviews I had there were among the nicest I had during the recruiting process. The first partner was a little distant at first, but then warmed up and we had a substantive talk about a legal topic we both found interesting. The second partner I met was really laid back and California-cool, and didn't give off any kind of workaholic-slavedriver vibe. Both associates I spoke with were chipper and bright-eyed, and really seemed to like what they did.

Perhaps I was lucky to get 4 good interviewers, but I really think all the negativity at CWT is over-hyped ... at least I hope to God that is the case! I think CWT knows that culture is an area of concern for many incoming lawyers, and while the firm is redefining their practice, they are likely going to change this aspect of the firm, too.

I know that for any BigLaw firm, it'll always be about the money - let's keep it real - that's why we go to these places. However, now that Robert Link, the ex-chairman who is the one most often credited with turning CWT into a super-competitive "jerk store," is out of the picture, I think the firm will see a better QOL in the very near future.
how much time post-cb did it take?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:34 am

Had CB a week ago, and no response. If I've been dinged, should I expect a letter in the mail soon?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:48 am

i had a CB on a monday and got the offer on a thursday, maybe you are on hold?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am a T14 2L. I interviewed with CWT 2 weeks ago, and accepted their offer.

how much time post-cb did it take?
I interviewed on Friday, got an offer on Weds night @ 8:30 PM.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”