How do you answer "so where do you see yourself..." Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How do you answer "so where do you see yourself..."

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:46 am

professionally in X years?

I got this during a screening. Does the attorney want me to answer "i want to be partner" or what kind of response are they getting at? I just mumbled that I wanted to be an expert in a certain practice area.

Diamond

Re: How do you answer "so where do you see yourself..."

Post by 20160810 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:39 am

I tend to go with some BS about taking on more and more responsibilities each year, with my goal being to be the guy people can always trust to get something done right the first time. It's crap, but I never have a great answer to this question either.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Tell them you want to work at the firm forever and raise your family in the area. This is because brand new associates are expensive. The firm is going to lose money on you at first, so they need reassurances you'll be around long enough to justify your salary (or even just to justify wildly overpaying you to "work" as a Summer Associate).

The ultimate goal is to convince them you want to be a slave to the firm, working yourself up to slave-driver eventually.

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:32 pm

Equity partner with no friends, husband or children. I used to have a dog, but my parents decided to raise it for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:35 pm

I disagree with fetishizing the firm in this way, you don't know much about the firm beyond what Google and a few websites tell you, and maybe some word of mouth. Its weird to marry yourself to a firm like that without having tried it out - shows perhaps lack of judgment and immaturity, although it does show "enthusiasm" for a firm. Its important to show an interest in a particular firm, but its gotta stop at a certain point short of fetishizing it.

I think a better response is to show your ambition/focus as a lawyer, as opposed to talking up a firm from the outside - its kinda glib and maybe insulting to their intelligence.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:47 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:49 pm

NYAssociate wrote:I don't think booyakasha was being serious. At least I hope not.
Even I have boundaries during interviews.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:54 pm

I told them I wanted to be on a partnership track doing litigation (which is pretty much true, btw). End of story.

BobSacamano

Bronze

Post by BobSacamano » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:03 pm

If you don't have a strong connection to the city you're interviewing in I think it's a good idea to sneak in a "love the city, can see myself raising a family here"-type comment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:32 pm

dresden doll wrote:I told them I wanted to be on a partnership track doing litigation (which is pretty much true, btw). End of story.
I think answers such as this are the right/good answer. Firms want confidence and people that can see themselves, even if it is bravado, being leaders.

My answer was generally along the same as dresden's, but I would add something about being the go-to guy in X practice area. That wasn't bravado though, I truly want to be the best at whatever area I practice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I disagree with fetishizing the firm in this way, you don't know much about the firm beyond what Google and a few websites tell you, and maybe some word of mouth. Its weird to marry yourself to a firm like that without having tried it out - shows perhaps lack of judgment and immaturity, although it does show "enthusiasm" for a firm. Its important to show an interest in a particular firm, but its gotta stop at a certain point short of fetishizing it.

I think a better response is to show your ambition/focus as a lawyer, as opposed to talking up a firm from the outside - its kinda glib and maybe insulting to their intelligence.
I've heard the opposite, actually. If you don't show commitment to the firm, you're much less likely to get an offer.

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I disagree with fetishizing the firm in this way, you don't know much about the firm beyond what Google and a few websites tell you, and maybe some word of mouth. Its weird to marry yourself to a firm like that without having tried it out - shows perhaps lack of judgment and immaturity, although it does show "enthusiasm" for a firm. Its important to show an interest in a particular firm, but its gotta stop at a certain point short of fetishizing it.

I've heard the opposite, actually. If you don't show commitment to the firm, you're much less likely to get an offer.
I agree with the first Anon poster.

I think commitment to the city is important, but not the firm.

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:47 pm

Don't say doing their wife and you should be fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:01 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:Don't say doing their wife and you should be fine.
No wonder I haven't been getting many callbacks...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:09 pm

I had an interesting discussion with an interviewing partner with him. I didn't know how to answer it, so I bluntly told him I didn't. I explained that I'd done different things before coming to law school and found it hard to predict where I'd be in 10 years as a result, and I also talked about not being sure whether I'd make partner since that's partly out of my control.

He talked rather honestly about his expectations, saying he didn't expect me to say I was going to make partner since he knows a lot of associates leave after three to five years and his firm is fine with that. From his perspective, he talked about trying to separate out people who are clearly interested in still developing practical legal skills in some way in 10 years, as a way of telling those who are actually wanting to practice law from those who are just getting a law degree and hoping to go do something outside the legal profession within a few years. I could easily understand why they'd want to hire people who actually want to be practicing law.

It was a great discussion, and I got a CB out of it.

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had an interesting discussion with an interviewing partner with him. I didn't know how to answer it, so I bluntly told him I didn't. I explained that I'd done different things before coming to law school and found it hard to predict where I'd be in 10 years as a result, and I also talked about not being sure whether I'd make partner since that's partly out of my control.

He talked rather honestly about his expectations, saying he didn't expect me to say I was going to make partner since he knows a lot of associates leave after three to five years and his firm is fine with that. From his perspective, he talked about trying to separate out people who are clearly interested in still developing practical legal skills in some way in 10 years, as a way of telling those who are actually wanting to practice law from those who are just getting a law degree and hoping to go do something outside the legal profession within a few years. I could easily understand why they'd want to hire people who actually want to be practicing law.

It was a great discussion, and I got a CB out of it.
Even though your first paragraph was a mess to read, I like your style. Good answer -- I think partners enjoy honesty, to a certain extent.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:22 pm

Don't say "Doing your wife." Don't say "Doing your wife."

"Doing your.... son?"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:35 pm

pandacot wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It depends on the firm.

LjakW

Bronze

Post by LjakW » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:36 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
Don't say "Doing your wife." Don't say "Doing your wife."

"Doing your.... son?"
For those confused:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXop3zIPkic

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
pandacot wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It depends on the firm.
True. Some partners/associates refuse to recognize the homogeneity of firms.

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:46 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
dresden doll wrote:I told them I wanted to be on a partnership track doing litigation (which is pretty much true, btw). End of story.
Same, and I mention something about specializing in patent proceedings I am interested in. Seems to be good, or at worst innocuous.
I would have dinged you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:57 pm

pandacot wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:
Same, and I mention something about specializing in patent proceedings I am interested in. Seems to be good, or at worst innocuous.
I would have dinged you.
Yeah, but you're also kind of a douche.

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:59 pm

Objection wrote:
pandacot wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:
I would have dinged you.
Yeah, but you're also kind of a douche.
How so, friend?

pandacot

Bronze

Post by pandacot » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:00 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
pandacot wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:
I would have dinged you.
I guess I am not sure what they are looking for here. I wanna work towards/become a partner and focus on patent lit. It's not the most exciting answer, given, but it is the truth.
It's a good answer. The response was from boredom.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:15 pm

Thanks. Keep the responses coming.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”