Freshfields Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Freshfields

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I believe it, particularly in the U.S. The lit practice opened in 2009 and it is already chambers ranked. It is the top ranked European (and British) firm, with, among other things, the most M & A deals. The partner during my callback told me the U.S. is now the firm's main expansion focus ( the new managing partner is American) and that it is happening very very quickly http://amlawdaily.typepad.com/amlawdail ... .html#more . It is sort of a sick opportunity since they have such few midlevels and the best global clients. If I got the offer, I would take it in a heartbeat.
It's not that difficult to become "chambers ranked." However, the firm's goals would call for it beating out top litigation shops and to become the go-to M&A shop in the US. That won't happen. At the very least, it won't happen while you're an associate there. There's simply a long list of firms that are already dominant in those fields, and then there's an even longer list of firms that are trying to beat them out (and not doing super well at that). There's no reason to believe Freshfields will encounter any more success than those firms.
Sorry to hear about your dingaling. The way that law firms usually make significant gains in the U.S. in terms of new business and moving up in the rankings is by stealing top partners from other firms. Freshfields has lockstep pay for partners and purports to have one of the highest profit per partner in the world. I don't think it will be too difficult for Freshfields to keep attracting new talent, if it is actually what the law firm wants to do.

I don't think the OP was saying that Freshfields is going to become the top M&A shop in the U.S. But it doesn't take a genius to see that the firm is growing very quickly and you would be at a huge advantage as a young associate to jump on that ship.

I don't know that being lockstep necessarily helps in that regard.

In any event most major M&A transactions today tend to be cross border and require a complex understanding of global legal issues. You can maybe count with one hand the number of firms that are considered truly great at that. FF is like the Cravath of London and Berlin and so I am surprised FF hasn't placed more emphasis in expanding in the US before.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I believe it, particularly in the U.S. The lit practice opened in 2009 and it is already chambers ranked. It is the top ranked European (and British) firm, with, among other things, the most M & A deals. The partner during my callback told me the U.S. is now the firm's main expansion focus ( the new managing partner is American) and that it is happening very very quickly http://amlawdaily.typepad.com/amlawdail ... .html#more . It is sort of a sick opportunity since they have such few midlevels and the best global clients. If I got the offer, I would take it in a heartbeat.
It's not that difficult to become "chambers ranked." However, the firm's goals would call for it beating out top litigation shops and to become the go-to M&A shop in the US. That won't happen. At the very least, it won't happen while you're an associate there. There's simply a long list of firms that are already dominant in those fields, and then there's an even longer list of firms that are trying to beat them out (and not doing super well at that). There's no reason to believe Freshfields will encounter any more success than those firms.
Sorry to hear about your dingaling. The way that law firms usually make significant gains in the U.S. in terms of new business and moving up in the rankings is by stealing top partners from other firms. Freshfields has lockstep pay for partners and purports to have one of the highest profit per partner in the world. I don't think it will be too difficult for Freshfields to keep attracting new talent, if it is actually what the law firm wants to do.

I don't think the OP was saying that Freshfields is going to become the top M&A shop in the U.S. But it doesn't take a genius to see that the firm is growing very quickly and you would be at a huge advantage as a young associate to jump on that ship.

I don't know that being lockstep necessarily helps in that regard.

In any event most major M&A transactions today tend to be cross border and require a complex understanding of global legal issues. You can maybe count with one hand the number of firms that are considered truly great at that. FF is like the Cravath of London and Berlin and so I am surprised FF hasn't placed more emphasis in expanding in the US before.
at $2,675,000 it does

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:34 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:49 pm

This is just a small list. Growing isn't as easy as opening an office, hiring a punch of associates, and throwing cash on the table for partners to come.
It may be almost that easy when you already have many of the world's biggest companies as your clients.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:56 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:57 pm

If Cravath wanted dedicate significant resources to expanding its London offices, I am sure it would be very successful. Cravath can do anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:05 pm

Any offers go out yet??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Friend got an offer yesterday morning, interviewed earlier this week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:58 pm

any offers/rejections today?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:54 pm

grrr....why are they taking so long.

Dear Freshfields,

If you give me an offer, I am going to turn down my V7 offer for you. Please respond soon.

k, thanks, bye.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:06 pm

[]
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:23 pm

has anyone heard anything from these guys?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:39 pm

I had my interview today and they told me that all the partners are at a retreat in Paris and they won't be looking at any files until at least mid week next week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:39 pm

edit

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:25 pm

Mentioned this in another thread, but my friend interviewed last week and got an offer on Saturday morning.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:54 pm

I interviewed and had an offer within a few days.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:01 pm

Partners (including the hiring partner) were not in NY the end of last week. Delays are to be expected, but they are still giving offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:46 pm

Anyone who interviewed since mid-week last week heard anything?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:05 pm

Anyone get an offer here that's interviewed in the past week-two weeks?
Anyone accepted with this firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:14 pm

Anyone get an offer this week?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:22 am

I'm about to have an interview with this firm. From what I understand, their litigation department is lumped under "dispute resolution," which also includes arbitration work. Does anyone have any further insight on that?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”