Which of these firms best for patent litigation? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

For patent litigation . . .

Simpson Thacher
No votes
Kirkland & Ellis
41%
Sidley Austin
7%
Jones Day
11%
Howrey
7%
MoFo
26%
Covington & Burling
7%

Total votes: 27

Anonymous User

Which of these firms best for patent litigation?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:41 am

Have callbacks with the above, but going into it - I'm hoping one or two of these are known to be categorically stronger than others for IP. My career office is hopeless, so I'm hitting the grapevine here.

As far as office location - all callbacks are in the office-location with the largest patent-group the firm has nationwide.

For those who are curious, dinged at Fish, a couple other boutiques, and about a half dozen other V50 GP firms, waiting around on Finnegan, irell, quinn, and some others.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Gold

Re: Which of these firms best for patent litigation?

Post by dood » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:48 am

Last edited by dood on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:53 am

yeah, got screenings with both of them comin' up next week at my school's oci; hope i don't screw it up.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:11 am

Last edited by dood on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:13 am

for those who are curious - I have been dinged by about 6-8 firms so far, mostly in the V50 range - all of which I'd love to work for, which is sad. So good and bad mixed.

I also am not on the law review, nor do I have any interviewing skills that I have any reason to believe are "above average." I think the key for me has been my technical background (EE), and the name of my law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:15 am

dood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:yeah, got screenings with both of them comin' up next week at my school's oci; hope i don't screw it up.
try to match the firms cultures. be a little aggressive for Q&E, be intellectual for irell. but judging from ur CBs, u seem to be doing ok, so just be urself. good luck!
oh wow, good tips, thanks broski (your words). I'm not sure I can be "intellectual" - thats like saying be taller - although I can talk like I've got my head up my rear, is that what you mean by be intellectual? lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:23 am

dood wrote: BUT if u'r only interested in working a few years, paying off ur loans, then moving on, yeah, roll with whatever u think will make ur resume look better.
Nah, not interested in moving on, what would I move on to is my question - a small prosecution firm? I don't see a lot of "moving on" options for patent litigators. Maybe government work? I'm not sure what you're referring to I guess. If you're implying in-house, then there's no way but for maybe one or two tech companies, and I don't really care for where those companies are located, so big law for life for me.

While I say that, I am definitively going to gun for a clerkship after graduation, as well as a small temporary stint with the ADA's office, or even better - the AUSA office - just to get my bearings as a trial lawyer - but I'm the one-firm lifetime kinda guy - I don't get firm-hoppers, but maybe thats because I don't understand the end-game too well yet.

Its challenging for me to make these long-term judgments based on firm websites, companies represented, peoples' backgrounds, etc. These firms aren't exactly homogeneous (well some are). So thanks for all your comments.

I am getting zero interest from patent boutiques, despite my strong background.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:24 am

Last edited by dood on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:27 am

dood wrote: dont worry UO has them with clear lens too. i wear them sometimes to interview, not kidding. LOL
ah man you shouldn't out yourself like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:28 am

Last edited by dood on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:29 am

gotcha. good luck to you, you trying to be on the west/east coast?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:31 am

Last edited by dood on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:45 am

so why exactly do you have Quinn on such a high pedestal? Not challenging, just asking.
Must be some basis here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

radek

New

Post by radek » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:46 am

Howrey has the deepest bench for IP lit of any of these firms. Other firms may have better superstars, however.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:53 pm

Are you referring to Howrey DC?

radek

New

Post by radek » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are you referring to Howrey DC?
Howrey DC is essentially = Howrey. DC has ~300 lawyers and the biggest satellite office has under 60.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:18 pm

hmm, just looked into Howrey into greater detail, this is quite an unusual firm with only 3 practice areas.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:57 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:37 pm

dood wrote:...
interested to know what you had to say, OP here, curious about your views re Howrey DC given that you've said useful stuff re IP before.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:45 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:37 pm

wow, thanks for that information, this is really useful.

While I applaud you for still gunning for Howrey, what I don't get is this:
Howrey pays BELOW market, has a curtailed summer program, does NOT give greater responsibility given the way you say they staff cases, and are still a good deal!?

Whats the upside again of being employed by the same firm as some superstars? You've mentioned your personal reasons, but what about the rest of us? This below-market apprenticeship thing will dissuade the rockstars from law school from ever going to Howrey, yes?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:46 pm

I think you have to look at individual offices in addition to the overall firm in making your decisions.

For example, I've really liked what I've seen of Howrey SF, which was basically a really good patent lit boutique that got bought out by Howrey. This actually raises an interesting point about IP in big firms -- a lot of "satellite offices" are actually regional boutiques that got acquired by the larger firms, and in a lot of ways they retain their own culture distinct from that of the bigger firm. This is definitely the case from what I've seen of Howrey with respect to DC vs. SF. That said, all of the negative stuff about Howrey above would still apply to being an SA and later associate there (in terms of compensation, etc.) and it definitely seems that over time, Howrey SF is losing its culture to that of the larger firm, which seems to happen in a lot of these situations, -- and in this case to its detriment.

Also, I'm no rockstar, but I'm ignoring Howrey in large part because of First Tier. It might be good for grads from T25 programs who got scholarships and don't need to pay off loans, and maybe those who are willing to defer taking on big mortgages and starting a family, but it just doesn't work for me.

Also, a comment re: Sidley -- I don't know about the other firms under consideration here, but I do know that Sidley at least has done a fair amount of work on the side of trolls since they do contingency fee work in patent lit, which is a little unsavory. But, experience is experience, I suppose. (I'd be curious to know about what other larger firms have been on the side of trolls & pursuing false markings claims, etc. -- mostly that world seems to be the domain of midlaw and small law.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:51 pm

Having a "deep bench" is nice and all, but as an associate, you really don't care about that stuff. You want job security and a prestigious name on your resume that you can fall back on when you don't make partner. That makes K&E the runaway favorite.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Having a "deep bench" is nice and all, but as an associate, you really don't care about that stuff. You want job security and a prestigious name on your resume that you can fall back on when you don't make partner. That makes K&E the runaway favorite.
Kirkland > Simpson, Jones Day, Sidley?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Having a "deep bench" is nice and all, but as an associate, you really don't care about that stuff. You want job security and a prestigious name on your resume that you can fall back on when you don't make partner. That makes K&E the runaway favorite.
Kirkland > Simpson, Jones Day, Sidley?
For IP litigation? Yes, according to both Vault, Chambers, and people I've spoken to.

Well see if their rep stays afloat after the departure of John Desmarais, but for now they're definitely better than those other three.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”