Help Me Make A Decision! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help Me Make A Decision!

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:22 pm

I've got a couple of offers for 2L summer, and with the tough competition in larger markets, I think these are what I have to choose from. I'd appreciate any help you guys could offer.

Things you should know: I want litigation, all firms are in the south, I have no loans to pay off.

Firm A:
Secondary Market Office of v100 firm. Liked the people I met, but I really hate the town. pay starts at 85k, i think billables is 2000.

Firm B:
Secondary Market Home Office of v100 firm. Seemed liked cool people. Pretty big city, but I've never particularly cared for it. Pay starts at 135k, 2000 billable.

Firm C:
Major Secondary Market Firm in nlj250, not home office. Clerked for them last summer. Really expects associates to have responsibility, but not to the same extent as Firm D. Pay starts at 90k, 1980 billable.

Firm D:
30 person firm in my home state. Big time litigation boutique, but pretty small city. Pay starts at 75k; 1700 billable. Lots of responsibility as young associate, many have had their own cases already in only 3 years, some got to go to court as soon as first year.

Anonymous User

Re: Help Me Make A Decision!

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:24 pm

Do you want lots of responsibility early? You haven't specified how you feel about taking on those types of tasks right out of law school...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you want lots of responsibility early? You haven't specified how you feel about taking on those types of tasks right out of law school...
I wan't to get my hands dirty early, yes. I don't want to sit in an office and do mindless work for 5 years then realize that I'm not on the partner track. I've got friends that did very well, went to v50's, but never did anything meaningful in their first 5-6 years. I don't want that to be my life.

smittytron3k

Bronze

Post by smittytron3k » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:09 pm

D/B>>C>>>>>>>A imo

think about exit opportunities from firm B as well

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:11 pm

Yeah my biggest concern with D is that I'd kinda be stuck. With all the others I've got a good degree of name/brand recognition to help with a potential move in the future.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ak362

Bronze

Post by ak362 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:27 pm

D > B > C > A, if you like your home state.

B > D > C > A, otherwise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:11 am

ak362 wrote:D > B > C > A, if you like your home state.

B > D > C > A, otherwise.

I disagree. I'd say go with the big firms if you're not 100% happy at any of your current options and are looking for lateral movement. But, I'm only a 2L just like you so please take with standard grain of salt.

ie: B C A D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”