Non-OCI Successes? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Non-OCI Successes?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:49 am

Has anyone had success from non-OCI cover letter and resume mailings? Do firms typically looks at these at all, or only if there is need after OCI rounds?

Anonymous User

Re: Non-OCI Successes?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:54 am

I'll start a very nice job at a small firm, albeit one with a very non-big-law salary, after I graduate (I'm a 3L). I've never lived in the city where the firm is, and didn't know any of the partners before. I just sent my resume out to about 300 firms, and they were the ones that bit.

Archon

New

Post by Archon » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:00 am

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:00 am

This seems to be the case for me as a 2L attempting to get a SA somewhere. I'm top of my class at a TTT with a strong specialty, journal, graduate degree, solid undergrad. I've only gotten two callbacks in the Amlaw 200 (although one was V10) and each was based on some sort of connection.

Regional firms seem to give the love, though. Lots of initial interviews for regionals. I do still have a lot of apps out to the Amlaw 200 so those of us at TTT can continue to hope?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had success from non-OCI cover letter and resume mailings? Do firms typically looks at these at all, or only if there is need after OCI rounds?
I've sent out ~100 resumes to CA firms (I'm out of state). My cover letters have been semi-targeted depending on the firm's primary practice areas or summer program.

Results so far:
- 20+ dings
- 1 phone interview (+ding)
- still waiting on the rest

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:26 am

It depends. If your credentials and cover letter / story are appropriate, you can definitely get bites. But if you're blanketing firms with letters and don't have something to make you stand out, it's likely just charitable giving to the postal service.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:54 pm

I got one from a resume collect posting at our school. They are actually flying me out as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:03 pm

I had success with random mass mailing, although I started my mass mailing around Memorial Day weekend and didn't stop until the end of July. Ended up getting 9 interviews (5 were big law, V100), took an offer at a firm I was happy with, and then ended up canceling the rest of the interviews. My school's career office said to start emailing resumes in July, and thankfully, I ignored them and started much much earlier.

edit: I should mention I sent out ~ 150 resumes and cover letters.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:17 pm

Small TTT, 12 callbacks and three phone interviews that didn't lead to callbacks based on a July mass mailing last year. Callbacks in four states. Firm size ranged from the bottom of the Amlaw 200 (2) to a 35-lawyer firm that paid about $70k to start. Majority of callbacks were with 100- to 150-lawyer firms that paid low six figures. Summered with one of them and accepted an offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:34 pm

I know several people with average grades that have gotten multiple callbacks from resume mailings. Firms look at these before and during OCI, but not after (their classes will likely have been filled), so if you want to do a mass mailing you should do it as soon as possible.

lovelaw27

Bronze

Post by lovelaw27 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had success with random mass mailing, although I started my mass mailing around Memorial Day weekend and didn't stop until the end of July. Ended up getting 9 interviews (5 were big law, V100), took an offer at a firm I was happy with, and then ended up canceling the rest of the interviews. My school's career office said to start emailing resumes in July, and thankfully, I ignored them and started much much earlier.

This poster said they started mass mailing around Memorial Day (May 31). When would it be too early to start mass mailing? I am a 1L.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:17 pm

lovelaw27 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had success with random mass mailing, although I started my mass mailing around Memorial Day weekend and didn't stop until the end of July. Ended up getting 9 interviews (5 were big law, V100), took an offer at a firm I was happy with, and then ended up canceling the rest of the interviews. My school's career office said to start emailing resumes in July, and thankfully, I ignored them and started much much earlier.

This poster said they started mass mailing around Memorial Day (May 31). When would it be too early to start mass mailing? I am a 1L.
That was my post. I think end of May is a good time. law firms really don't start thinking about recruiting until July b/c in May they're gearing up for their summers, so I think anytime before May is too early. I was also on one coast applying to another coast, so i felt the need to be really aggressive to make sure I landed a job in the market I wanted. I'd say Memorial Day-ish is good (I think I started around May 20th or so).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:26 pm

lovelaw27 wrote:

You want to wait until you get your final grades from spring semester.

You might even want to wait until law review is announced, if you think you have a good chance.

I think early to mid July is fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:53 pm

I've had some interest and some dings on direct mailing (more dings than interest, not surprisingly). I think that if you're a competitive candidate in an out-of-market firm that just doesn't do OCI at your school and you can properly articulate in your cover letter why you're interested in that firm, then you've got as good a shot as anyone. If, however, it's apparent you just hit up nalpdirectory.com and resume-spammed the shit out of an entire market and you don't express any interest in the city or firm specifically, then I think it would be unwise to expect success.

However, and this is an important point, given that virtually all firms accept (and many even explicitly prefer) emailed submissions, there is virtually no downside to direct mailing. It takes almost no time, and requires no money.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lovelaw27 wrote:

You want to wait until you get your final grades from spring semester.

You might even want to wait until law review is announced, if you think you have a good chance.

I think early to mid July is fine.
You can always update them with LR status, which is what I did.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Everyone I mailed before August either put me on ignore or told me to get back to them after 8/1. Given that many firms stop considering new submissions after 9/1, I think that mass mailings should go out sometime during the month of August, preferably in the first two weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:06 pm

I AM DROWNING IN BIGLAW OFFERS FROM THE LOYOLA PATENT INTERVIEW PROGRAM

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:11 am

I've had some success emailing partners whose career trajectory I'd love to emulate (CAFC/CCPA clerkship, former AUSAs, patent trial lawyers, former ITC OGC folks) - they've responded at basically a 100% rate over the last 4 months, and I've gotten my foot in the door that way.

I guess this may indicate that people respond more when you draw on a personal experience they cherish professionally, and you state it in a way that doesn't make it seem like its just a talking point - the above list of things are career-stints I'd love to personally pursue, so I guess my solicitations have been fairly sincere, thus the results.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:08 am

I got an offer from a firm that a lot would consider biglaw (300+ attorneys, IP only, pay 140k) in this way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:14 pm

Just secured an interview via direct mailing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”