Harvard Law School EIP 2010 Callback Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Harvard Law School EIP 2010 Callback Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 1L and I am getting worried after reading this thread. I didn't know getting call backs would be this tough! Any advice for a 1L who will be heading into the game next year?
Definitely think about non-DC markets. I have 10 CBs, 8 of which are outside DC, even though I primarily met with DC firms. My callback ratio from other east coast cities (boston, nyc) was like 90%, but DC was abysmal.

I'm not at the top of the class either, btw- bidding strategy matters a LOT. Don't panic if you don't do as well as you expected- as long as you pick the right cities/firms, you'll probably be fine.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 1L and I am getting worried after reading this thread. I didn't know getting call backs would be this tough! Any advice for a 1L who will be heading into the game next year?
Other than doing as well as you can,

1) Do your research. Know how to bid wisely (what markets and firms will get you the most number of screening interviews and callbacks?), know what to say in an interview, read about the firms you're interested in before bidding on them, not before the screening interview - that way you won't discover that you don't actually want to work there right before the interview. If you find a thread here that contains useful advice (like, this one), bookmark it and read it over the summer.

2) Practice interviewing. Even if your grades are great, hiring is so competitive now that you have to do more than just "not drool on yourself." You must have good answers to these basic questions: Why this firm? Why this city? Why law school? Why this practice area? Also, be sure you're able to intelligently discuss a legal issue you dealt with at your 1L summer job.

3) Try as hard as you can for interviews. If you don't get a screening interview you want, there's no reason why you shouldn't try making a special request. Don't take the attitude "I already have enough interviews, I'll get something." Over the summer, send out targeted mailings to firms you're interested in. If you do enough of these you can enter OCI with a couple callbacks lined up, which will make the process a lot less stressful.

Assuming your grades are decent, you will probably be fine if you take the process seriously.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:37 am

Anecdotally, these are the people who had trouble:

Those who bid on just top firms, but had mediocre grades (all Ps);
Those with multiple LPs;
Those who went for DC.

New York was still giving tons of callbacks, even to people without great grades. I got every firm in NY except one. I got only one firm in DC. (All were very selective firms.)

Also, it seems like people got DC callbacks who were looking for a very specific practice area, even if they didn't have great grades. The ones who just said, "I want to do litigation" didn't do nearly as well as those who said, "I really want to do ERISA, you're the best at it, this is why I love it, etc." I was told that I should act interested in whatever practice areas they're good at. In reality, I should have acted obsessed with whatever practice area they're good at.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anecdotally, these are the people who had trouble:

Those with multiple LPs;
Those who went for DC.

New York was still giving tons of callbacks, even to people without great grades. I got every firm in NY except one. I got only one firm in DC. (All were very selective firms.)

Also, it seems like people got DC callbacks who were looking for a very specific practice area, even if they didn't have great grades. The ones who just said, "I want to do litigation" didn't do nearly as well as those who said, "I really want to do ERISA, you're the best at it, this is why I love it, etc." I was told that I should act interested in whatever practice areas they're good at. In reality, I should have acted obsessed with whatever practice area they're good at.
From anecdotal evidence, it seems that people without full-time work experience did not do so well either. And, in addition to people focusing on DC, people who focused on Chicago, California, and Texas also did not do so well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:17 am

Those with multiple LPs;
Those who went for DC.
I mostly agree with this, but I just want to add that with all Ps I was still getting shot down by secondary-market, no-Vault-ranking firms. This after spending most of the summer researching firms and reading through Nail Your Law School Interview and Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams.

In short--have you considered train conducting?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Those with multiple LPs;
Those who went for DC.
I mostly agree with this, but I just want to add that with all Ps I was still getting shot down by secondary-market, no-Vault-ranking firms. This after spending most of the summer researching firms and reading through Nail Your Law School Interview and Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams.

In short--have you considered train conducting?
Did you have ties? I feel like secondary markets are either the easiest or hardest markets to get into based on that. I do know someone with 5H and no ties who focused on Texas and got nothing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:20 pm

In terms of people who targeted mainly secondary markets or major markets outside of NYC, I have to wonder how much they thought about those markets in terms of demand for legal services. The overall legal market has been recovering, but nowhere as strongly as in NYC. Grades, rankings, and all of that are fine, but I think the most important concern to students should have been how much work has picked up in a given city.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did you have ties? I feel like secondary markets are either the easiest or hardest markets to get into based on that. I do know someone with 5H and no ties who focused on Texas and got nothing.
Yep, summered at the city attorney's there

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In short--have you considered train conducting?
Are you secretly a recruiter for MBTA or something?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
:lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:47 pm

Have people CB'd at Choate Hall yet? Any news re: dings or offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:17 pm

Latham DC and Williams & Connolly dings via snail. Still have not heard from 5 other DC...I anticipate receiving my dings sometime before finals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:19 pm

Snail mail Williams & Connolly ding, dated Sept. 10.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did you have ties? I feel like secondary markets are either the easiest or hardest markets to get into based on that. I do know someone with 5H and no ties who focused on Texas and got nothing.
Yep, summered at the city attorney's there
i dont think thats what he meant by ties? like for TX, id imagine you must have family there or went to school there (i.e. undergrad), not just spent 1 summer there

but thats just what i hear

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Those with multiple LPs;
Those who went for DC.

From anecdotal evidence, it seems that people without full-time work experience did not do so well either. And, in addition to people focusing on DC, people who focused on Chicago, California, and Texas also did not do so well.
wow that scares me. my primary focus (read: only) is TX as i was pretty much borne and raised there, and plan on returning (aiming all my off time there as well). just a 1L, no idea how my grades will pan out, but lets say median or all Ps, a lot of these ppl have been striking out at TX as well? (no full-time work experience)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:18 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Those with multiple LPs;
Those who went for DC.

wow that scares me. my primary focus (read: only) is TX as i was pretty much borne and raised there, and plan on returning (aiming all my off time there as well). just a 1L, no idea how my grades will pan out, but lets say median or all Ps, a lot of these ppl have been striking out at TX as well? (no full-time work experience)
I don't know anyone who was focusing exclusively on Texas but conventional wisdom is that outside of NYC, markets are a lot easier if you're from there. I have only 1 H and I have callbacks at all the firms that were at EIP from my secondary home market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:56 am

Ropes Boston ding. Skadden ny, Sullivan and crom, Covington dc snail dings.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:19 pm

anyone heard from Baker Hostetler DC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:37 pm

Anything from the Seattle office of Perkins Coie?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Plumbing is good too

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anything from the Seattle office of Perkins Coie?
Nope. I'm going to give them a call today, although at this point I'm not holding out hope.

e: yeah at this point I've basically resigned myself to my only 'callback' being with a Lean Cuisine capellini and a bottle of Woodbridge Sauvignon Blanc

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:37 pm

Just got the letter today, Baker Hostetler DC ding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:59 pm

W&C Snail ding (the DC firm not white case)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:11 pm

after callback interview or EIP interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Snail dings from Fenwick & West, Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp, and Loeb & Loeb

e: Looking back, the letter from Fenwick is all the way from September 3! How does a letter get held up that long? Anyway time to tuck into some plastic jug rum

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”