What is the likelihood of an offer after your CB? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Wildcats Anon

New

What is the likelihood of an offer after your CB?

Post by Wildcats Anon » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:08 am

Have a few CBs scheduled in the upcoming weeks, and I am unclear about what the offer rate for callbacks are this year. Certainly don't think that the job is "mine to lose."

Anyone have any idea how many CBs are interviewed per SA spot?

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: What is the likelihood of an offer after your CB?

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:58 am

Wildcats Anon wrote:Have a few CBs scheduled in the upcoming weeks, and I am unclear about what the offer rate for callbacks are this year. Certainly don't think that the job is "mine to lose."

Anyone have any idea how many CBs are interviewed per SA spot?
It depends.

SplitterPride

New

Post by SplitterPride » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:06 am

33%...or 1 in 3

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:44 am

Depends on the firm, your interviewing abilities, your credentials relative to your peers, the timing of your callback, the relationship your school has with the firm, etc.

Being called back early is good though. And many major firms strive for 75%+ offer rates. There are exceptions who shoot for closer to 30% though, and almost every firm saw offers rates declining last year due to ITE. It used to be safe to say that averaged out maybe 2 in 3 callbacks resulted in an offer, but last year it was closer to 1 in 3. Unclear what the global average will be this year.

Regardless, the firm is spending a lot of money and taking a lot of time to interview you. They likely either want to hire you or want to want to hire you, so give it your all and act confident.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:15 am

1 in 3 at my firm. Was higher in the past but the acceptance rate has gone through the roof so the firm cut back on offers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:01 pm

Worse than it used to be. S&C offers something like 85% of the candidates they call back. At the other end of the spectrum, Davis Polk offers around 20% of the candidates they call back (but they call back more candidates than S&C). Most firms, ITE, fall somewhere in between--probably in the 40-60% range.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:03 pm

Is there any firm specific data? CLS provided data for last year, but it's hard to know whether that's atypical or not.

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:25 pm

I've heard that last year's was significantly worse than boom time CB/offer ratios, but this is secondhand.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:47 pm

Is it safe to assume that if a firm is giving you a callback that involves flying you 3,000 miles across the country, your chances are better then a callback requiring you to walk down the street?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:54 pm

A partner at a large NYC firm told us at OCI that at his firm and our school, at least, roughly 25% of people get call backs, 50% of them get offers and 50% of those offers are accepted.

Not sure if these numbers are adapted for ITE but just thought I'd pass it along.

radek

New

Post by radek » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:57 pm

edcrane wrote:Worse than it used to be. S&C offers something like 85% of the candidates they call back. At the other end of the spectrum, Davis Polk offers around 20% of the candidates they call back (but they call back more candidates than S&C). Most firms, ITE, fall somewhere in between--probably in the 40-60% range.
30-50% is a more likely range ITE.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:40 am

Things were absurdly bad my year (2008) because the crash came between OCI and my callbacks. Most of the firms went into panic mode and gave out very few offers later into the fall. There were some callback candidates who were basically DOA- class was full before they even interviewed.

I'm sure things will be a bit better now that things are at least more or less stable. I would guess about 40% is the norm, subject to wide variation between firms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:50 am

Just out of curiosity (any personal anecdotes would be greatly appreciated, anon or otherwise), what's the dynamic with firms that have small classes in a particular office (e.g. someone has a callback at the D.C. office of a firm, which hires 3 summers and is a branch office, versus 20 or 30 something summers for the New York headquarters)? Is the callback-to-offer ratio lower? Higher? Do local offices with small summer classes tend to adjust their callback numbers accordingly and callback fewer people? I'm in this situation at the moment and am curious to know what TLSers think/have experienced.

emoticons777

Bronze

Post by emoticons777 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just out of curiosity (any personal anecdotes would be greatly appreciated, anon or otherwise), what's the dynamic with firms that have small classes in a particular office (e.g. someone has a callback at the D.C. office of a firm, which hires 3 summers and is a branch office, versus 20 or 30 something summers for the New York headquarters)? Is the callback-to-offer ratio lower? Higher? Do local offices with small summer classes tend to adjust their callback numbers accordingly and callback fewer people? I'm in this situation at the moment and am curious to know what TLSers think/have experienced.
I second this. Also, how long does it normally take firms (specifically those with a smaller class size) to get back to you after your call back interview?

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:03 am

emoticons777 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just out of curiosity (any personal anecdotes would be greatly appreciated, anon or otherwise), what's the dynamic with firms that have small classes in a particular office (e.g. someone has a callback at the D.C. office of a firm, which hires 3 summers and is a branch office, versus 20 or 30 something summers for the New York headquarters)? Is the callback-to-offer ratio lower? Higher? Do local offices with small summer classes tend to adjust their callback numbers accordingly and callback fewer people? I'm in this situation at the moment and am curious to know what TLSers think/have experienced.
I second this. Also, how long does it normally take firms (specifically those with a smaller class size) to get back to you after your call back interview?
I third this. Part of me thinks that the ratio could be lower because, if the class size is 4, calling back 10 times as many people is not as much of a burden as calling back 10 times as many people for a 40 person class. But on the other hand, I imagine that small DC branch offices don't have nearly as high of an acceptance rate as NY or DC headquarters, so the office would need to give out a ton of offers to fill the class.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:35 am

The boutique I worked for over the summer had a class size in the 4-6 range and apparently called back a dozen people. It's a pretty solid boutique, so I'm guessing they had a high yield. Still, that's at least an offer rate of ~50%. In all likelihood, it's closer to 60%.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Based on the mofo SF callback sign up system:

68 callback slots (not sure if all get filled, but this is what they display as available).
last summer, they had 30ish SA. Hopefully more this years.

So basically 50-50.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Based on the mofo SF callback sign up system:

68 callback slots (not sure if all get filled, but this is what they display as available).
last summer, they had 30ish SA. Hopefully more this years.

So basically 50-50.
1) The system may not be showing all dates to all candidates (i.e. it's common for certain schools to be blocked into certain ranges)

2) The system may not show slots already taken

3) Their yield rate will be well under 100% - i.e. they will need to make many more offers than they will have summers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:56 pm

I can see the blocked off dates, and based on what the schedule looks like, I think its inclusive of all schools - its basically 4 slots a day, almost every day, through sept. No room for other slots.

Good point re #3...it must be more then 50-50.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”