Legal advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Legal advice

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:39 pm

I know this isn't the right board but its the only place i can write anonymously (the other person i'm going to ask about browses TLS occasionally).

Earlier today, a roommate of mine and myself got into a verbal confrontation over instant message in which he threatened to physically harm me. Later today, in person, I confronted him about it. After a verbal spat over the course of 30 minutes or so, he proceeded to threaten me yet again. I told him to try punch me. (Caveat - he is clearly larger than me and could easily physically overwhelm me). I told him to punch me knowing full well that he wasn't going to do anything remotely harmful - he's shown over the course of his life to talk bigger than he is.

That being said, at one point in the conversation, he grabbed my arms and used then pushed them into me as if to say "you punched yourself." I don't have any hard evidence of him ever grabbing me (although there was a witness in the other room that definitely overheard the conversation, and potentially could have overheard him say "no you hit yourself"). Nevertheless, a physical altercation of some sort took place.

Is there any legal action I can take (don't worry I don't intend on taking this to court unless things get worse) that could at the very least tell him that I'm serious and to back off?

Thanks.

Machine Spirit

Bronze

Re: Legal advice

Post by Machine Spirit » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:41 pm

Definitely not the right place to ask that question, this board is comprised of law students, not actual practitioners. Any advice given to you here would be not only pointless, but potentially wholly incorrect.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:43 pm

Where do you suggest I go looking for information?

I'm sure there are some people here that have a sense of the legality of the measure.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:44 pm

Carefully and meticulously premeditate to murder him.

Classic self-defense. You'll walk. Take my word, I'm an anonymous prospective law student on the internet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Ha. No seriously. Please? Anyone with some help?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:48 pm

I don't know about legal action but the action I would take is to grow a pair.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:48 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:I don't know about legal action but the action I would take is to grow a pair.
This.

Also, IBTL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:49 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:I don't know about legal action but the action I would take is to grow a pair.
I'm not going to let him feign superiority because of physical domination... thats stupid

Also, not a flame

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:50 pm

If you think you were assaulted...call the police and your lawyer. 98% sure they are going to tell you to grow up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm not going to let him feign superiority because of physical domination... thats stupid

Also, not a flame
Soliciting legal advice = lock. Also, quit whining about getting owned by your friend on internet message boards.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:20 pm

I am not offering legal advice, but rather the same advice I would offer to a friend or acquaintance who asked the same question. That being said:

If you want to you can take this to the police. They will be able to tell you your options very well. They may not be able to do anything. They may be able to arrest the roommate. Depends on local laws, his past record, their mood at the time, his behavior when they confront him, and a multitude of other factors. It seems MUCH more likely to me that they won't.

This may be farther that you want to go. It is very likely to make the situation there worse if you or he does not pack up and leave immediately after.

You may try to file a restraining order. In some states you need little more evidence than you have presented. In others you may not be able to do so.

As above, without one of you leaving the house this is likely to make things worse.

Your best bet is to find a new roommate. Either kick this person out if that is an option, or even easier, leave.

I'll be honest here for a second. You need to get out of this situation. I think it was stupid of you to push the confrontation as far as you have. You should have deescalated. But now that you are here you need to deal with it. Try one of the above, with the third being the best choice.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:32 pm

Last edited by d34d9823 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MVPson

New

Post by MVPson » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:05 am

Op sounds like a tool.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:43 am

100% correct.

Machine Spirit

Bronze

Post by Machine Spirit » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:47 am

I don't really see why the situation needed to escalate in the manner that it did. I can only imagine that you two were fighting over something equally inane as well, like which one of you let the milk expire.

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:53 am

Wanna learn karate? I can teach you Daniel-san.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am not offering legal advice, but rather the same advice I would offer to a friend or acquaintance who asked the same question. That being said:

If you want to you can take this to the police. They will be able to tell you your options very well. They may not be able to do anything. They may be able to arrest the roommate. Depends on local laws, his past record, their mood at the time, his behavior when they confront him, and a multitude of other factors. It seems MUCH more likely to me that they won't.

This may be farther that you want to go. It is very likely to make the situation there worse if you or he does not pack up and leave immediately after.

You may try to file a restraining order. In some states you need little more evidence than you have presented. In others you may not be able to do so.

As above, without one of you leaving the house this is likely to make things worse.

Your best bet is to find a new roommate. Either kick this person out if that is an option, or even easier, leave.

I'll be honest here for a second. You need to get out of this situation. I think it was stupid of you to push the confrontation as far as you have. You should have deescalated. But now that you are here you need to deal with it. Try one of the above, with the third being the best choice.
He's leaving in 3 days anyways. We were fighting over something much more serious - him owing me a considerable amount of money. I don't see why it did either. I wasn't going to touch him, regardless of what happened. Obviously he doesn't have a modicum of self control.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:17 am

Domestic violence is a huge thing nowadays. Next time it happens, call the cops and get him charged, you wuss.

When you're up against somebody who you know for sure can kick your ass... kick him in the jewels and drop kick him all over his face. Sleep with his significant other too if he has one.

Oh, and IBTL.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am not offering legal advice, but rather the same advice I would offer to a friend or acquaintance who asked the same question. That being said:

He's leaving in 3 days anyways. We were fighting over something much more serious - him owing me a considerable amount of money. I don't see why it did either. I wasn't going to touch him, regardless of what happened. Obviously he doesn't have a modicum of self control.
Well, there's only one person that can help you out here:
--ImageRemoved--

He can totally whore your roommate out and split the profits with you.

Seriously though, should of made a contract with a CC# or Check attached. Loans never work out... look at the government.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”