general 2010 OCI consensus thus far Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Re: general 2010 OCI consensus thus far

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:45 pm

booyakasha wrote:this is getting retardedly neurotic.
listen, i know. this is more venting than anything else, and a feeler just to see if anyone else has any experience with this situation, any thoughts/speculation on what it means.

this process is fractally fucked. honing in on any part of it reveals it to be as fucked as the process in its entirety.

enough to drive a man neurotic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:55 pm

Just got a sullcrom callback and a cleary callback in the same day. I'm absurdly excited.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Got a callback from a firm I scored an interview with outside of my school's OCI. I'm slightly below median and no journal/ WE either, so there is definitely hope.

radek

New

Post by radek » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
radek wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't know if it's as bad as last year, but there have been quite a few callbacks that I know about. Let's see if they materialize into offers. My feeling is that this year is better than last. I'm not sure how much better, but my gut says 10-20% better.
The number of CBs didn't decrease nearly as much as the number of offers during 2009 (source: UVA CSO). I'm skeptical about there being any significant improvement in the number of OFFERS given the eternally tepid economy we're in right now. I think ppl will be surprised by a 1/3 (or lower) CB-to-offer ratio.
I certainly would be surprised by a 1/3 (or lower) CB-to-offer ratio.
In an era where most firms are cutting costs anywhere (except for firms splurging on large-scale hospitality suites *cough*Brinks Hofer*cough* and then firing associates in that city the next day), I can't see flying back dozens of people and then not offering them. Money's tight.
It's a lot cheaper to spend money up front to find the right candidates than it is to hire them for a year and then Latham them.

radek

New

Post by radek » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:08 pm

JPU wrote:I think callback to offer ratio will be up....

Money is tight for firms ITE = they will be hiring less people and spending less on recruiting

callbacks cost a lot of money: flight + hotel + whatever else you can expense

so it would follow that to spend less money on recruiting firms would increase the callback to offer ratio.

then again what i just typed is pure speculation and optimism as oci begins next week
This logic has been proven false by the fact that offer to CB ratios were WAAAAY down last year and firms were definitely feeling the pinch. Firms know it saves money to spend the money to find the right ppl and the more ppl they interview, the more likely it is to find associates who won't leave after 2 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:58 am

Any specific info re west coast firms and west coast offices? I am especially interested in how people have fared with these offices coming from schools NOT on the west coast...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any specific info re west coast firms and west coast offices? I am especially interested in how people have fared with these offices coming from schools NOT on the west coast...
I'm from an east coast T10 and I have CBs with Latham, GDC and two other west coast-based V100s.

stats: top 30%, no WE, family ties

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any specific info re west coast firms and west coast offices? I am especially interested in how people have fared with these offices coming from schools NOT on the west coast...
I'm from an east coast T10 and I have CBs with Latham, GDC and two other west coast-based V100s.

good show

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats - well done. Where are the offices you got CB's from? LA, SF? Or just the east coast offices of those firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”