Question about working non-law job summer after 1L Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question about working non-law job summer after 1L

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:51 am

I do not want to be an attorney. I want to become an NCAA compliance officer for an athletic department and see where that takes me (agent, coaching, etc....)...

I am obviously in a unique situation, and was wondering if I took a non-legal job as the director or co-director of a relatively "big" (low 6 figure budget) company for the summer, would that hurt me or would it just be neutral (or even a positive?)?

Just trying to figure out if I should commit to the non-law job or if it's neccessary for me to intern in a law related job this summer (If I can even find one).

TIA

Aqualibrium

Gold

Re: Question about working non-law job summer after 1L

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:I do not want to be an attorney. I want to become an NCAA compliance officer for an athletic department and see where that takes me (agent, coaching, etc....)...

I am obviously in a unique situation, and was wondering if I took a non-legal job as the director or co-director of a relatively "big" (low 6 figure budget) company for the summer, would that hurt me or would it just be neutral (or even a positive?)?

Just trying to figure out if I should commit to the non-law job or if it's neccessary for me to intern in a law related job this summer (If I can even find one).

TIA

1. Your situation isn't very unique; lots of people think they want to do compliance work.

2. Work where you want to work. If you can find something that will put you in a better position to meet people and gain experience in the industry you think you want to work in, do it.

3. I wouldn't totally disqualify any thing. Right now you think you want compliance work, but who knows what the future holds. You've got a long way until your 1L summer. Enjoy law school as much as you can, and try get advice from people who know about compliance work and how to break in.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smalltown

New

Re: Question about working non-law job summer after 1L

Post by smalltown » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:03 pm

Interning in compliance is a non-lawyer job, but it is still very much a legal job. If you'd like any information or insight into this, feel free to send me a message. I currently work as an intern for a BCS school. I would highly, highly suggest finding some sort of position involved with compliance while in school if that is really what you want to do. Most schools have work study money available for a law student intern. It would certainly help if you were going to a school with a sizable athletic department.

You will have an advantage with JD, but these jobs are pretty competitive. There are loads of sports management programs around the country, which increases the competition for compliance jobs. The more experience you have the better.

I could answere any other questions about NCAA compliance, or at least try.

Also, this is great advice in general for 1L students:
Aqualibrium wrote:
3. I wouldn't totally disqualify any thing. Right now you think you want compliance work, bit who knows what the future holds. You've got a long way until your 1L summer. Enjoy law school as much as you can.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”