Interviews with two offices from same firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interviews with two offices from same firm

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:17 pm

For OCI, is it ok to interview with a firms NYC and DC office? How will the firm feel about this?

Anonymous User

Re: Interviews with two offices from same firm

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:44 pm

Interviewed today with Cahill Gordon which has three offices - 2 national & 1 intl. If they say no to one you could always try for another office.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:08 pm

Some schools don't let you do this. I think mine does, but I avoided the situation regardless. I've heard mixed things, though.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:44 pm

The almost universal advice is that such a move is bad strategy. Firms will share notes between offices, and you need to sell your desire to the firm. Yes, we're desperate law students and we all would take a job anywhere at this point - but saying so won't help you. You need to be mature enough to narrow your search and tailor your "sales pitch."

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:59 pm

What about a firm that has 3 offices in the same location?

ex: OMM has an LA, Century City, and OC office.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:03 pm

How do you handle cover letters in such a situation? It seems silly to pull the whole "I have family in City X and want to work there" for both offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:09 am

I actually have interviews with three different offices of the same firm, and actually met most of the interviewers at a reception a while back. I have no idea how this going to end.... :?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:58 am

Ask OCS or the firm. Some firms offices are completely siloed, other firms coordinate recruiting; some ask you to rank office preferences, others prohibit multiple interviews.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:45 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:32 am

bwv812 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:The almost universal advice is that such a move is bad strategy. Firms will share notes between offices, and you need to sell your desire to the firm. Yes, we're desperate law students and we all would take a job anywhere at this point - but saying so won't help you. You need to be mature enough to narrow your search and tailor your "sales pitch."
By "almost universal," he means that people disagree. Some (including NYAssociate) feel it is fine if you can articulate good reasons for different offices.
Sorry, should have clarified that by almost universal I meant amongst the several hiring attorneys I've spoken with about this at major law firms.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:43 am

As long as you have a good reason, I'm not sure it's such a big deal. If you're only into environmental law...maybe only 8 firms from DC at your school's OCI do it and maybe another 6 in NYC do it. And say one of them has an office in both cities. I'm not sure it would be a huge issue.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:18 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:25 pm

disco_barred wrote:
bwv812 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:The almost universal advice is that such a move is bad strategy. Firms will share notes between offices, and you need to sell your desire to the firm. Yes, we're desperate law students and we all would take a job anywhere at this point - but saying so won't help you. You need to be mature enough to narrow your search and tailor your "sales pitch."
By "almost universal," he means that people disagree. Some (including NYAssociate) feel it is fine if you can articulate good reasons for different offices.
Sorry, should have clarified that by almost universal I meant amongst the several hiring attorneys I've spoken with about this at major law firms.
I interviewed with more than one market and received callbacks / offers from more than one at the same firm. I think this is unusual and like disco said it often hurts more than it helps.

The key, in my view, is articulating good reasons for both offices. I don't think it would be held against you if you lived your entire life in Boston and went to NYU if you expressed interest at both the Boston / NYC offices. It's harder to make the case if you bid SF/NYC and have no ties to either. You look like a waffle at that point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”