PSA: Most firms don't make all callback offers at once Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bwv812

Silver

Re: PSA: Most firms don't make all callback offers at once

Post by bwv812 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:25 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:06 pm

*shrug* I don't post a lot about myself on this forum. You're right that I am a rising 2L. I do, however, have a substantial volume of relevant experience, contacts, and information. To the extent anybody disagrees with what I write, go for it and I'm happy to back down when proven wrong. To the extent I come across as a jerk, that's largely just because I'm a jerk.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:42 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:57 pm

disco_barred wrote:Danger: XO content ahead
A poster from XO wrote: waiting for EIP callbacks was the single most stressful thing i experienced in LS. between retaking the bar and redoing EIP, i don't know what i'd rather do.

remember one thing: the 24 hr rule is bullshit. some firms notify in 24 hrs, others don't. more importantly, within the same firm some partners notify in 24 hrs and others don't.

just to use as examples 2 firms posted in this thread, i thought my davis and debevoise interviews both went really well, but didn't hear anything for 4-5 days. lots of other people had heard back the same day for both firms. i was fucking gutted. turned out that one partner flew to europe the day after EIP and the other partner got sucked into a huge closing, so neither had gotten around to looking at their EIP files.
u serious?

u dumb?

i don't think we're saying it's a "rule," just "most likely"

wait let me do it disco style

U SERIOUS?!?!? U DUMB?!?!?!?!? ITS NOT A RULE, JUST "MOST LIKELY." DUMBASS FUCKING 1L I KNOW SO MUCH MORE THAN YOUUUUUUUU
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

profs<3mycomments

New

Post by profs<3mycomments » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:47 pm

disco_barred wrote:*shrug* I don't post a lot about myself on this forum. You're right that I am a rising 2L. I do, however, have a substantial volume of relevant experience, contacts, and information. To the extent anybody disagrees with what I write, go for it and I'm happy to back down when proven wrong. To the extent I come across as a jerk, that's largely just because I'm a jerk.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/asshol ... hole,1172/

Seriously though, I think you're a good poster. We're probably friends in real life.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:11 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:20 pm

NYAssociate wrote:I'm going to join in and also say disco just needs to shut up. I don't think he's a jerk, but he definitely is full of himself.
since you know what you're talking about, do you have any information on callbacks? do all callbacks from a particular firm tend to all go out at on the same day? is there any validity to the 48-hour rule people have been propagating at EIP?

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:25 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:26 pm

thanks... I'm not sure whether I'm more or less freaked out but it's good to have some information from someone who knows what they're talking about.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:29 pm

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:30 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by NYAssociate on Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:34 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:42 pm

NYAssociate wrote: I'd say, unless explicitly told otherwise, most callbacks happen within 24-48 hrs.
This seems right. Most firms are well aware of this apparently non-existent window for callbacks, and will usually tell you when they expect to make callbacks if they don't think they're going to make decisions within this time frame. Last year you had lots of firms saying that they might take a bit longer to make callbacks because of all the uncertainty, and last year there were more highly tiered waves of callbacks as firms judged yield.

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:45 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:52 pm

Most callbacks go out within 48 hours. In my experience last year, the latest I received a callback was about a week after the initial interview. The callbacks were not given out to students at my school on a rolling basis. Offers, on the other hand, did not come as quickly.

And, this:
NYAssociate wrote:It's just hard to tell. The only hard and fast rule is that it's never a good sign if callbacks have started going out and you haven't received one.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:56 pm

what is your take on scheduling CB? If I have to fly all the way to the east coast should i group them together or do them earlier and cancel other screening interviews? For example DPW is interviewing on the 23rd but I have interviews scheduled for almost everyday until September. If DPW gives callback w/in 2 days is it bad to wait 2 weeks to do the CB in NY?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:57 pm

NYAssociate wrote:
booyakasha wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:I'm going to join in and also say disco just needs to shut up. I don't think he's a jerk, but he definitely is full of himself.
since you know what you're talking about, do you have any information on callbacks? do all callbacks from a particular firm tend to all go out at on the same day? is there any validity to the 48-hour rule people have been propagating at EIP?

I'd say, unless explicitly told otherwise, most callbacks happen within 24-48 hrs. If they've already started going out and you haven't received word by Monday, you're probably rejected. If someone you know got a callback and he or she had the same screening interviewer, you've almost definitely been rejected.

It's just hard to tell. The only hard and fast rule is that it's never a good sign if callbacks have started going out and you haven't received one.
How about screening interviews done outside of OCI? I took your advice from an earlier thread, NYAssociate, and sent out quite a few direct apps as early as possible -- interviewed with a V100 firm a couple of weeks ago and still haven't heard back either way from them. Should I just assume nothing's going to happen and move on, or do different rules apply?

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:57 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:59 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:05 am

legends159 wrote:what is your take on scheduling CB? If I have to fly all the way to the east coast should i group them together or do them earlier and cancel other screening interviews? For example DPW is interviewing on the 23rd but I have interviews scheduled for almost everyday until September. If DPW gives callback w/in 2 days is it bad to wait 2 weeks to do the CB in NY?
I would get the callbacks done as quickly as possible, especially if you're excited about the firm (like DPW). But the two week period is not bad to wait -- six weeks might be. I never had a callback scheduled right away -- they were always two weeks or even a month out.
Last edited by steve_nash on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:05 am

NYAssociate wrote:
How about screening interviews done outside of OCI? I took your advice from an earlier thread, NYAssociate, and sent out quite a few direct apps as early as possible -- interviewed with a V100 firm a couple of weeks ago and still haven't heard back either way from them. Should I just assume nothing's going to happen and move on, or do different rules apply?
I'd follow up. My guess is that they're waiting to have a sufficient sample size of interviews so they can compare you with what else they're getting through OCI. But yes, I'd be sure to keep on the recruiter about what's going on.
What would be the appropriate time to follow up (couple weeks later)? Should I ask the recruiter about timetables, etc.? A bit new to all this, so I just want to make sure I don't muck anything up.

Goes without saying, but definitely appreciate all the advice, by the way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:
I'd follow up. My guess is that they're waiting to have a sufficient sample size of interviews so they can compare you with what else they're getting through OCI. But yes, I'd be sure to keep on the recruiter about what's going on.
What would be the appropriate time to follow up (couple weeks later)? Should I ask the recruiter about timetables, etc.? A bit new to all this, so I just want to make sure I don't muck anything up.

Goes without saying, but definitely appreciate all the advice, by the way.
I'd follow up now. It's appropriate to ask for a timeframe. ]

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”