PSA: Most firms don't make all callback offers at once Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NYAssociate

Silver

Re: PSA: Most firms don't make all callback offers at once

Post by NYAssociate » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:08 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:37 pm

For what it's worth, this is a quote from UVA's career services website:
UVA Law Career Services wrote:When are callback invitations extended and when do callbacks occur?

Callback invitations can be extended any time after the on-Grounds interviewing process begins in late August, and a number of callbacks take place in September, but most callback invitations for UVA students aren’t extended until September or even later. This is an extremely important fact for UVA students to bear in mind. If you get an “early” callback, or a callback received within a week to 10 days after the on-Grounds interview, you are likely someone the firm is very impressed with. Most firms have an early callback list of superior candidates and a “hold” list made up of other candidates they also like, and if you've interviewed with a firm but not heard back from them you are probably in the “hold” group. Employers are rarely if ever able to fill their needs from their early callback list, and they routinely make later offers for callbacks to those on “hold”. This contributes to a “second wave” of callbacks in September and October. If you have interviewed with a firm and two to three weeks have passed without your hearing anything, there is a good chance you will end up getting a callback from the firm. One of the tactics you can use to enhance your chances for callbacks is to contact firms you have interviewed with but not heard from to let them know you are still interested. This can expedite the process of a firm giving you a callback invitation if you are in the “hold” group.

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:03 pm

Wouldn't you rather stick to the 24-hour rule and then be super excited if you do, by chance, get a late callback, rather than hold out hope only to inevitably be disappointed in the end? Pessimism at least lends itself to pleasant surprises.

Person

Bronze

Post by Person » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 pm

JG Hall wrote:Wouldn't you rather stick to the 24-hour rule and then be super excited if you do, by chance, get a late callback, rather than hold out hope only to inevitably be disappointed in the end? Pessimism at least lends itself to pleasant surprises.
This is essentially the philosophy I live my life by.

radek

New

Post by radek » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:50 am

Cavalier wrote:For what it's worth, this is a quote from UVA's career services website:
UVA Law Career Services wrote:When are callback invitations extended and when do callbacks occur?

Callback invitations can be extended any time after the on-Grounds interviewing process begins in late August, and a number of callbacks take place in September, but most callback invitations for UVA students aren’t extended until September or even later. This is an extremely important fact for UVA students to bear in mind. If you get an “early” callback, or a callback received within a week to 10 days after the on-Grounds interview, you are likely someone the firm is very impressed with. Most firms have an early callback list of superior candidates and a “hold” list made up of other candidates they also like, and if you've interviewed with a firm but not heard back from them you are probably in the “hold” group. Employers are rarely if ever able to fill their needs from their early callback list, and they routinely make later offers for callbacks to those on “hold”. This contributes to a “second wave” of callbacks in September and October. If you have interviewed with a firm and two to three weeks have passed without your hearing anything, there is a good chance you will end up getting a callback from the firm. One of the tactics you can use to enhance your chances for callbacks is to contact firms you have interviewed with but not heard from to let them know you are still interested. This can expedite the process of a firm giving you a callback invitation if you are in the “hold” group.
I'm not sure when the CSO wrote this, but I bet the "hold groups" were a lot bigger pre-ITE. Also, fewer CBs are being extended which means those receiving early CBs are much more likely to accept. Basically, I'm just questioning the validity of the above statements given the times we're living in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:32 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

como

Silver

Post by como » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:08 am

FWIW, I know of people who have heard from a firm one day, then another person heard from that firm two days later. Plenty of callbacks are all-at-once, but many are not. It depends on the firm, the interviewer, and, probably, the candidate.

Also, the 24-hour rule is bullshit. If that were the case, the vast majority of firms will not call anyone from my school back. I would say roughly 1/4 of all the firms that came to OCI have started callbacks, and days have passed.

Also, it may be early too early to start being optimistic, but I am feeling optimistic about this year.
Last edited by como on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

radek

New

Post by radek » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:02 am

NYAssociate wrote:The "hold" section is probably bigger, ITE.
I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning about this.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:45 am

radek wrote:
Isn't this self-explanatory? Callback fewer at a time, while maintaining a large hold category rather than callback a lot at a time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

radek

New

Post by radek » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:31 am

vamedic03 wrote:
radek wrote:
Isn't this self-explanatory? Callback fewer at a time, while maintaining a large hold category rather than callback a lot at a time.
I was thinking more like:

Same number of applicants + fewer CBs TOTAL = higher yield rates for CBs ---> LESS of a need for a large "hold" group

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:01 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:11 pm

the new 28-day rule has some role in this too, but i'm not sure what it is yet.

there will either be fewer late callbacks because most students get scarfed up early by aggressive callback/offer firms, or there will be way more late callbacks because 28 days after the first offer rounds go out, possibly in early September, firms have to scramble.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:27 pm

wiseowl wrote:the new 28-day rule has some role in this too, but i'm not sure what it is yet.

there will either be fewer late callbacks because most students get scarfed up early by aggressive callback/offer firms, or there will be way more late callbacks because 28 days after the first offer rounds go out, possibly in early September, firms have to scramble.
another reason this process is the worst part of law school thus far: it could drag on, mentally, into October.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”