Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Columbia EIP 2010 Callbacks Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think its stupid that a thank-you note determines whether you get a job or not when 3 years ago the same idiots that are interviewing us all had to just sit there and get dozens of offers.
I doubt it's any consolation, but thank you notes aren't going to make or break you. Maybe it's nice, professional, or whatever (I'd be annoyed if I got tons of thank you emails), but it's not going to be the difference between getting an offer and not getting an offer. That is, I can't imagine any office being so ambivalent between two candidates that a "thank you" note will make the difference (and yes, I realize any real benefit is likely subconscious). Especially since, as two firms told me, if its a close call, you're not getting an offer because close calls for summer hires make close calls for full time offers, and nobody wants that.

I do agree that it's frustrating that 3 years ago people just had to show up. But that's life.
NON-CLS but thought i'd offer my opinion. The most important person is the person you did a screening interview with. They are your advocate. It's definitely not a bad idea to send a thank you to your screener. Plus it's a little easier because you can be a little more casual (e.g. us of first name), and it can help them remember you. Additionally, because they are your advocate, they will use their discretion in passing it along. If they think it will help you, they'll pass it. They are not going to send something along that makes them look stupid for giving you a CB. My experience:

5 offers

1: full thank you's, snail mailed, but i interviewed really early with them and knew they weren't deciding for a while, plus I had no screening interview. Offer 1 month+ after CB

2: Thank you email to screener only. offer 1 day after CB. (V15)

3: Thank you email to screener (also hiring partner) only. Offer 3 days post CB.

4. No Thank you note to anyone because I didn't feel like it and already had the V15 offer. Offer 6 days post CB.

5. No Thank you note because I didn't have a screening interview. Offer 1 week post CB (V5)

Dings:

1. No thank you's but knew also that decision would be made before i'd ever have a chance to send something (Cravath)

2. Thank you to hiring partner I met with (not screener) - Ding 1 week after CB. Thank you sent day after.

Other:

1. Withdrew from a V25. Sent full on thank you's to all 6 or 7 people i met with. Was in a holding pattern and withdrew after 3 weeks +. Thank you's were sent day after.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think its stupid that a thank-you note determines whether you get a job or not when 3 years ago the same idiots that are interviewing us all had to just sit there and get dozens of offers.
I doubt it's any consolation, but thank you notes aren't going to make or break you. Maybe it's nice, professional, or whatever (I'd be annoyed if I got tons of thank you emails), but it's not going to be the difference between getting an offer and not getting an offer. That is, I can't imagine any office being so ambivalent between two candidates that a "thank you" note will make the difference (and yes, I realize any real benefit is likely subconscious). Especially since, as two firms told me, if its a close call, you're not getting an offer because close calls for summer hires make close calls for full time offers, and nobody wants that.

I do agree that it's frustrating that 3 years ago people just had to show up. But that's life.
NON-CLS but thought i'd offer my opinion. The most important person is the person you did a screening interview with. They are your advocate. It's definitely not a bad idea to send a thank you to your screener. Plus it's a little easier because you can be a little more casual (e.g. us of first name), and it can help them remember you. Additionally, because they are your advocate, they will use their discretion in passing it along. If they think it will help you, they'll pass it. They are not going to send something along that makes them look stupid for giving you a CB. My experience:

5 offers

1: full thank you's, snail mailed, but i interviewed really early with them and knew they weren't deciding for a while, plus I had no screening interview. Offer 1 month+ after CB

3: Thank you email to screener (also hiring partner) only. Offer 3 days post CB.

4. No Thank you note to anyone because I didn't feel like it and already had the V15 offer. Offer 6 days post CB.

5. No Thank you note because I didn't have a screening interview. Offer 1 week post CB (V5)

Dings:

1. No thank you's but knew also that decision would be made before i'd ever have a chance to send something (Cravath)

2. Thank you to hiring partner I met with (not screener) - Ding 1 week after CB. Thank you sent day after.

Other:

1. Withdrew from a V25. Sent full on thank you's to all 6 or 7 people i met with. Was in a holding pattern and withdrew after 3 weeks +. Thank you's were sent day after.
So... is this just a protracted way of telling us that you have fabulous offers? Well, congratulations! :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:23 pm

Unemployed wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

5 offers

Dings:

Other:

So... is this just a protracted way of telling us that you have fabulous offers? Well, congratulations! :lol:
Nope. Hoping to be helpful by detailing what i did relative to offers/dings. This thread has been very helpful to me in terms of guidance for issues like this. only about 3 people at my school are actually looking in NY, so I don't have much to go on, and career services isn't exactly helpful, none of them ever went the firm route and most aren't lawyers. I've met CLS students at almost every single CB i've been on, and I am sure that there quite a few who have done quite well.

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:50 am

Anecdotal evidence as to what thank you notes were and were not sent and the callbacks/offers received is worthless, as it doesn't actually speak to the appropriateness of sending thank you notes. My god, people, you'd think I was the only one who went to etiquette school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:35 am

JG Hall wrote:Anecdotal evidence as to what thank you notes were and were not sent and the callbacks/offers received is worthless, as it doesn't actually speak to the appropriateness of sending thank you notes. My god, people, you'd think I was the only one who went to etiquette school.
That's my point; it's about appropriateness, not getting an offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:36 pm

does anyone have a link to historic eip callback:offer ratios? i've seen 2006 and 2009. wondering about other years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:50 pm

I actually asked for that information to OCS. They wouldn't provide it, saying "it won't help."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I actually asked for that information to OCS. They wouldn't provide it, saying "it won't help."
Oh my God, OCS has been so useless during this process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I actually asked for that information to OCS. They wouldn't provide it, saying "it won't help."
Oh my God, OCS has been so useless during this process.
OCS has been useless. That said, 2007 & 2008 offer/callback data don't really contain much of relevance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:19 pm

Has anyone received any callbacks or word at all from Fall OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:29 pm

New York City Law Department and WNET are

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:New York City Law Department and WNET are
.... are what? did you get a callback?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:44 pm

They're making callbacks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:54 pm

What time did NYC law dept call today, if you don't mind me asking?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:10 pm

Any callbacks from dla piper?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:21 pm

NYC law department called around 4

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:59 pm

Anyone heard from Hodgson Russ?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:42 pm

What about Finn Dixon?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:06 am

Any news from dla piper?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:04 pm

DLA and hodgson callbacks yesterday morning

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DLA and hodgson callbacks yesterday morning
You got both callbacks? What is your grade range?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:DLA and hodgson callbacks yesterday morning
You got both callbacks? What is your grade range?
Transfer. EIP produced nothing so its bizzare to go 2 for 3 with oci callbacks. The whole thing is really a crapshoot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:53 pm

Bickel & Brewer EIP ding

Hudgson Russ OCI ding

0 callbacks still. School should expel me at this point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:30 pm

My Baker and Hostetler snail mail ding finally came from EIP.

NY Law Dept Corporations Office mail ding

OCI is turning into a complete bust for me at this rate like EIP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:My Baker and Hostetler snail mail ding finally came from EIP.
fwiw, Baker is only having 6 summers in its New York office...yes, 6. and god knows how many they screened.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”