Harvard transfer bidding strategy Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Harvard transfer bidding strategy

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:49 pm

I am transferring from a low T14 to Harvard, and I was wondering if anyone has advice on where in the Vault rankings I should place my OCI bids. I was near the top of my class at my old school, but now of course I am competing with the other Harvard students (and am no longer on law review).

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Gold

Re: Harvard transfer bidding strategy

Post by 270910 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:50 pm

The exact same way you would have bid at your old school.

Oh, except you can bid on Wachtell now.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am transferring from a low T14 to Harvard, and I was wondering if anyone has advice on where in the Vault rankings I should place my OCI bids. I was near the top of my class at my old school, but now of course I am competing with the other Harvard students (and am no longer on law review).

Vanwinkle outed as anonymous poster. Please don't ban me. :mrgreen:

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:51 pm

seespotrun wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am transferring from a low T14 to Harvard, and I was wondering if anyone has advice on where in the Vault rankings I should place my OCI bids. I was near the top of my class at my old school, but now of course I am competing with the other Harvard students (and am no longer on law review).

1) Nobody calls UVA a lower T14. Nobody.

2) Other features in the post are inconsistant with Vanwinkle.

3) It's against TLS policy to out, and assuming that TLS has an attempt statute, that's probably not good either.

4) I hate ending lists with only 3 items, it makes me feel like I could get my point across without adding numbers.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:52 pm

5) VW wasn't on LR at his school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:54 pm

disco_barred wrote:
seespotrun wrote:

3) It's against TLS policy to out, and assuming that TLS has an attempt statute, that's probably not good either.

4) I hate ending lists with only 3 items, it makes me feel like I could get my point across without adding numbers.
Responses that are fourfold, FTW.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:58 pm

OP here, confirming that I am not vanwinkle :-)

Is low V10 ever obtainable without LR? I assume the Wachtell line was a joke!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Dude you should spam the V10. Your targets should be non-Wachtell V10s and picky V25s.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:04 pm

disco_barred wrote:
seespotrun wrote:

Christ, disco_barred, did you not see the emoticon?! Turn the techno up, brah.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is low V10 ever obtainable without LR? I assume the Wachtell line was a joke!
Woah there partner.

1) Your credentials were plenty good enough (at least worthy of a bid) for most of the V10 (notable exceptions Wachtell & W&C) even before you transferred. They still are.

2) I was serious about Wachtell. You might not get them, but where you had no shot at your old school you have an outside shot at H. I've heard of transfers landing Wachtell even though the firm would never have considered them from their former school.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:03 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is low V10 ever obtainable without LR? I assume the Wachtell line was a joke!
Woah there partner.

1) Your credentials were plenty good enough (at least worthy of a bid) for most of the V10 (notable exceptions Wachtell & W&C) even before you transferred. They still are.

2) I was serious about Wachtell. You might not get them, but where you had no shot at your old school you have an outside shot at H. I've heard of transfers landing Wachtell even though the firm would never have considered them from their former school.
Yep. OP was probably top 10% at DNCG. These credentials are absolutely good enough to land V10, though they're not a lock ITE.

Duke/NU/Cornell placed about 20% V10 pre-ITE, and based on the data I've seen top 10% still has a great shot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:51 pm

bid as high as you want. there are previous transfers at V10s like crazy coming from far less than t14 law review.

go crazy, you'll get hired.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”