real estate law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ruski

Bronze

real estate law

Post by ruski » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:46 pm

hey you always hear about people talking about the pros and cons of practice groups like corporate, litigation, tax, but i was curious if anyone knew anything about the real estate practice groups that many large firms have. stuff like general hours (compared to other practice groups), stress, prestige, exit opps would be very helpful

sundevil77

Bronze

Re: real estate law

Post by sundevil77 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:51 pm

0L here. I know that my home market, Phoenix, is very, very heavily real estate dependent. All I can say is that the work is very cylical. When times are good, the law firms do well. When the bottom falls out of the market, like now, it spells bad news. Anecdotally, I've heard of many lawyers taking huge cuts in salary-- up to 1/2 of what they were making during boom times. Keep in mind that these were small, real estate based firms.

As far as exit opps, many a former real estate lawyer in Phoenix has made himself a wealthy man because of real estate. It's all about the timing, of course.

ruski

Bronze

Re: real estate law

Post by ruski » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:55 pm

yea i know most small firms/solos will be doing stuff like residential closings on property purchases and very low profile stuff, but i was more curious about the biglaw take on it.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”