I just had a callback Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I just had a callback

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:34 pm

So now what? Is there a typical timetable on when they get back to you with a decision (like one week, two weeks, etc)? Do they usually tell you either way if you got it or not? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: I just had a callback

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:35 pm

It depends a lot on how the firm is doing its hiring. It could be a very long wait even if you get an offer if you were 'early' and they are waiting to see the rest of the crowd. I believe I got my offer at a biglaw-like boutique something like two and a half weeks after my callback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:37 pm

How are you already receiving callbacks, just our of curiosity? Isn't this really early in the process? Most schools' OCI processes are only just commencing...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How are you already receiving callbacks, just our of curiosity? Isn't this really early in the process? Most schools' OCI processes are only just commencing...
A few people do interviews (functional equivalent of a callback, just with no screening interview) before going back to school in the fall. It's particularly common if you'll be in the area but then leaving. You just send your info to the firm as soon as you can in the summer and cross your fingers. It isn't very common.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How are you already receiving callbacks, just our of curiosity? Isn't this really early in the process? Most schools' OCI processes are only just commencing...
A few people do interviews (functional equivalent of a callback, just with no screening interview) before going back to school in the fall. It's particularly common if you'll be in the area but then leaving. You just send your info to the firm as soon as you can in the summer and cross your fingers. It isn't very common.
OP here. I had a personal connection at this firm and set it up over email. No screening interview, but they shuffled me around to multiple attorneys, so the usual callback deal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:23 pm

I have one of these on Friday, any tips? I am interviewing with 6 diff attorneys for 20 min a piece then lunch with 2.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:28 pm

There is no timetable.

You could hear back tomorrow or never.

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:30 pm

I'd say later rather than sooner -- they have a whole slew of OCI dudes and probably want to see how others stack up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:47 pm

I have done a couple of these so far in my home market. Both firms said that they would be in touch with me mid-Septemberish. One said to call them if I got another offer so they would have a chance to make an offer before I made my final decision. ASK THEM!!!! The firm knows that you are interested in getting hired. You could certainly ask this in a low-pressure way. I imagine they will just be honest with you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:31 pm

a friend got an offer from sullivan & cromwell the day he interviewed.

spanktheduck

Bronze

Post by spanktheduck » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:a friend got an offer from sullivan & cromwell the day he interviewed.
This is not uncommon at top Vault firms where it really is simply your school and grades that get you hired. A quick turn around is probably less common at smaller firms, especially regional ones.

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:47 am

For future reference, it is perfectly acceptable to ask what their timeline is. (An associate or even partner probably wouldn't know, but usually during a callback interview you also meet with a recruiter, even if only for a few minutes.)

And I'll echo what others have said: it could be a few days to several weeks. Some firms do their offers/rejections week by week, others first want to see a big pool of applicants before deciding on any of them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP here. I had a personal connection at this firm and set it up over email. No screening interview, but they shuffled me around to multiple attorneys, so the usual callback deal.

Were you able to secure the callback? Did your connection suggest OCI?
OP here. Not quite sure what you mean, but I came in during winter break to ask about 1L summer associate positions, and they suggested that I interview over the summer for 2L summer associate positions, so that's basically what I did. This firm isn't coming to my school's OCI (though it has in the past).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:12 pm

oh, ic

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Dude, stop posting anonymously. After I deleted your o, ic post, didn't you get the hint?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:46 pm

PKSebben wrote:Dude, stop posting anonymously. After I deleted your o, ic post, didn't you get the hint?

Am i the only anonymous poster? The thread was started by an anonymous poster..what gives??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:55 pm

2 V50 callbacks (I sent them my stuff via email, didn't want to wait till OCI). One was offer on the spot. The second one told me they would contact me in a few weeks but I got an offer via phone call next day.

HTH

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
PKSebben wrote:Dude, stop posting anonymously. After I deleted your o, ic post, didn't you get the hint?

Am i the only anonymous poster? The thread was started by an anonymous poster..what gives??
1) You have THREE POSTS under your moniker. There is no information even on this board which could out you. Stop being a jitbag.

2) You only get to post anonymously if you are revealing sensitive employment information, not bullshit like "o, ic!"

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:35 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:2 V50 callbacks (I sent them my stuff via email, didn't want to wait till OCI). One was offer on the spot. The second one told me they would contact me in a few weeks but I got an offer via phone call next day.

HTH
Grades? School?

MiamiUG

New

Post by MiamiUG » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:So now what? Is there a typical timetable on when they get back to you with a decision (like one week, two weeks, etc)? Do they usually tell you either way if you got it or not? Thanks!
congrats anon

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:2 V50 callbacks (I sent them my stuff via email, didn't want to wait till OCI). One was offer on the spot. The second one told me they would contact me in a few weeks but I got an offer via phone call next day.

HTH
wow. grats.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:28 am

I received one offer about 1.5 weeks after the callback and one 2.5 weeks after the callback (both biglaw). I've heard of much later but not much sooner- that might have something to do with being a student at a T50 school rther than a T10. The trend seems to be, from just browsing this forum, that you guys are given offers quickers.

Haven't heard of any on the spot offers- but congrats to those who impressed the pants off the interviewers!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:39 pm

Had 2 CBs last week, and 1 more 2 weeks ago. Haven't heard back from any and am not holding my breath...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had 2 CBs last week, and 1 more 2 weeks ago. Haven't heard back from any and am not holding my breath...
I feel like I'm on the firing line, just shoot me and get it over with don't make me keep hoping for divine intervention.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”