The Beginnings of a transfer bid list, please critique Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lawl Shcool

Silver

The Beginnings of a transfer bid list, please critique

Post by Lawl Shcool » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:33 pm

I am a t4 -> Berkeley transfer student and am trying to get my bid list together. I am not super familiar with the California market and ideally will get a job through non-oci tactics in my home market. My thought is that Berkeley will place the best in its home state. The list is comprised of firms I highlighted by analyzing the old oci data, old TLS threads about bidding for transfer/median/below-median students, and firms I otherwise thought looked cool.

This is a preliminary list so please point out if any of these firms are silly to bid on or add firms that should be on here.

Useful info:
No IP background and open to all non-criminal practice areas.
top 3% at my old school
no real "ties" to CA besides 1L year in San Diego
no work exp

The List (in no particular order)
Jones Day
K & L Gates
MoFo
Wilson Sonsini
Arnold & Porter
Gunderson Deltmer
Keker & Van Ness
Mayer Brown
Shartsis Friese
Sheppard Mullen
White & Case
Paul Hastings
Latham
Kasowitz
Robbins Kaplan
Dewey
Goodwin Proctor
Gibson Dunn

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Re: The Beginnings of a transfer bid list, please critique

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:21 pm

let me give this a little nudge here to see if I can't get a response or two.

Machine Spirit

Bronze

Post by Machine Spirit » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:53 pm

Response.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:59 pm

Machine Spirit wrote:Or Two.
:| Disapprove. I'm exceedingly sympathetic to people seeking bidlist advice these days.

OP, given that you've transferred from a T4, firms might treat you as a median student at Berkeley. I'd recommend assuming middle of the pack ranking when considering firm selectivity.

That said, your list looks pretty solid. Arnold and Porter and White and Case seem like a stretch, but then again, we all have our reaches on our bidlists.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:16 pm

dresden doll wrote:
:| Disapprove. I'm exceedingly sympathetic to people seeking bidlist advice these days.

OP, given that you've transferred from a T4, firms might treat you as a median student at Berkeley. I'd recommend assuming middle of the pack ranking when considering firm selectivity.

That said, your list looks pretty solid. Arnold and Porter and White and Case seem like a stretch, but then again, we all have our reaches on our bidlists.
Ya they both made it on bc of large class sizes and making a lot of offers to berkeley kids in the past. I def expect to be treated as a median-ish student, although finding the median is tough with the grading system. Hopefully having an actual rank from my old school will make me stand out a bit.

What about other firms to add? We can get up to 20 interviews so I may have to add in more markets to fill it up

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:46 pm

dresden doll wrote:

A & P is not happening, neither is Latham or Gibson Dunn. Or Mayer probably.

Machine Spirit

Bronze

Post by Machine Spirit » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:51 pm

rayiner wrote:
Joking aside, this. Though TS, you could probably learn how transfers traditionally are viewed/place by calling the career office. You're not necessarily treated as median (I know that transfers to Columbia are generally treated as top 1/3, for example).

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:52 pm

Machine Spirit wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Joking aside, this. Though TS, you could probably learn how transfers traditionally are viewed/place by calling the career office. You're not necessarily treated as median (I know that transfers to Columbia are generally treated as top 1/3, for example).
In the aggregate they are, but I assume a transfer from a lower T14 will be treated better than one from a 4th tier school, as DD said.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”