loyola patent law fair Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: loyola patent law fair

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:09 am

Anonymous User wrote: Do you know any place on the East Coast that is better that Cov for patent litigation besides K&E? Skadden NYC? Weil NYC? Cravath? I want to work at a V25 firm, and it seems like very few of the top firms on the East Coast are strong in patent work. Plus, if I could pick my dream job, it would allow me the option of doing some regulatory work (I think only D.C. firms really provide this option).
Ropes NY, Kirkland NY, WilmerHale Boston/DC, Fish Boston (yes, them), Finnegan DC.. they're all pretty damn good.. Howrey DC, Alston & Bird DC, Arnold Porter, Cravath NY, they're all good I think.

I don't know what Vault has to do with IP, the answer is nothing - but okay, if you want a Vault firm, then Cravath NY does some good IP work if your index factors in Vault.

As far as Kirkland, I'm not sure their DC office does a ton of IP work, they're band 3 in their own city, but Kirkland's a nationwide firm, so they have a lotta cross talk.

You hit the bulls eye @ regulatory work being in DC. But for THAT, you could do a lotta firms that do a LOT of regulatory work AND ip.. I guess Covington would fit that description

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:17 am

If you wanna be an IP litigator, and if you get A job offer from ANY of these offices; you're in great shape:

Kirkland-Chicago
MoFo-SF
Weil-SV
Irell-LA
WilmerHale-Boston
Finnegan-DC
Ropes-NY

Irell-LA is probably atop that list.

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:For the people who already have call backs, which firms are they with?

Also, I wouldn't worry about not hearing when to hear back by. I had interviews that went great where they didn't tell me, and I had interviews I know I am not getting a call back from where they did tell me. All it is indicative of is that the interviewer remembered to tell you. In fact, I would venture that if you got the interviewer so distracted talking to you that they ran out of time and forgot to tell you, that could be seen as a good indication you might get a callback.

Also, I want to hear peoples thought about the fair more generally. Any good stories? Firms that you really liked? Firms that set off alarm bells in your head when you talked to them? Great swag? How long it took you to figure out the only way to make interviews in time was to take the stairs?

For my part, Jones Day surprisingly gave me the heebies when I talked to them. There is just something... off about the people from that firm. Just from the fair, it does not seem like a place I want to work.

I think my favorite of the fair was Knobbe. The interviewer was a blast to talk to, and the firm seems like a fantastic place to work.

What did everyone else think?
RE: Jones Day, you mean they're robotic? No sense of soul behind the eyes? Brain dead in a programatic sort of way?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received a DING from any of the following firms:

Baker Botts - Austin
Paul Hastings - San Diego
Perkins Coie - Seattle
Pillsbury Winthrop - LA
Klarquist - Portland
Banner Witcoff

?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Covington told me they check references before callback. Admittedly, it took a long time for them to call me back, but the time between callback and offer was short. I know other people from my school who got offers through our OCI. It's possible they hired me not specifically to the IP group, but I definitely interviewed at the Loyola fair.

I would still appreciate insight. I know many of you are very well informed.
flame continues... Cov wouldn't interview you at the LOYOLA fair and not hire you to the IP group.. and they haven't made any offers @ IP group.
If you really do have offers from both Covington and K&E, congrats, they're both great firms. But, aside from saying that they've made offers, it would behoove you to stop talking about it here, because most of the people who are checking the forum do not have offers, and you're just making them feel worse by talking about what you have.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Covington told me they check references before callback. Admittedly, it took a long time for them to call me back, but the time between callback and offer was short. I know other people from my school who got offers through our OCI. It's possible they hired me not specifically to the IP group, but I definitely interviewed at the Loyola fair.

I would still appreciate insight. I know many of you are very well informed.
flame continues... Cov wouldn't interview you at the LOYOLA fair and not hire you to the IP group.. and they haven't made any offers @ IP group.
If you really do have offers from both Covington and K&E, congrats, they're both great firms. But, aside from saying that they've made offers, it would behoove you to stop talking about it here, because most of the people who are checking the forum do not have offers, and you're just making them feel worse by talking about what you have.
OK. Fair enough. I will stop asking questions here regarding offers or callbacks, as I see notification is the primary function of this thread. My reasons were not malicious; rather, I respect the wisdom of these boards in general and this thread in particular and was surprised that Cov does not receive more love from aspiring patent lawyers (and was curious to hear the reason). Good luck everyone!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:08 am

Has anyone actually received offers from a Loyola callback? I'm on tenterhooks. The other day I had a phone call from a number I didn't recognize, and my heart started pounding, but it turned out to be a telemarketer. D'oh!

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:11 am

Last edited by dood on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:47 am

i'm beginning to think this is true

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone actually received offers from a Loyola callback?
I've gotten two offers and one rejection so far from CBs resulting from PLIP. Here are my interview stats so far:

Loyola PLIP
18 screening interviews
resulting in 12 CBs, 4 dings, 1 withdrawal, 1 unknown
went on 8 CBs, declined 3, will go on 1
2 offers, 1 ding, 5 unknown

SFIPLA
6 screening interviews
resulting in 3 CBs, 3 dings
declined 1 CB, will go on 2

OCI
14 screening interviews
resulting in 7 CBs, 6 dings, 1 unknown
went on 4 CBs, declined 2, will go on 1
1 offer, 3 unknown

Sorry, no personal stats or firm names. It'd be way too easy to figure out who I am. Interviewing stats don't necessarily mean much, though, as I didn't target firms as well as I could have and different firms are truly looking for different things.

I feel that I connected better with the interviewers at PLIP than at OCI. All of the interviewers at PLIP worked either in patent litigation/prosecution. Most had science or engineering backgrounds. Most of the interviewers at OCI worked in non-IP fields and majored in the humanities.

I've met a number of people who got their jobs via PLIP, including several interviewers. It's a legit interview program. The problem is that it's really freaking early, and some firms just don't seem prepared to give offers that early in the process. Most have hiring committees that meet every couple weeks, and many seem to be waiting until they finish most OCI interviewing, have interviewed a few CBs, and can better gauge how many SAs they can hire. At almost every callback I went to, someone said to me that I was the first person they had interviewed this season.

Quite frankly, if you (1) have an EE or CS degree; (2) got OK grades in law school (3) at an OK law school; (4) have relevant work experience; (5) express an interest in patents; (6) interview in a large IP market such as NY, DC, or SV; and (7) interview well, you will have your pick of choices all the way up and down the V100. And once you get your foot in the door via your paper credentials, interviewing well is all that matters.

Interviewing is a skill that can be learned, albeit a "soft" skill: go on mock interviews, go on as many screening interviews as possible, and generally interact with other people. These interviews are almost invariably chatty experiences with the occasional "tell me about a time when..." sort of question. They're nothing like EE/CS interviews where they ask you to solve brain teasers, write code, or solve problems on the spot. If you have the credentials, they generally just want to see if they can stand being around you 80 hours a week.

I'm also of the opinion that thank you notes (both after screeners and CBs) make no difference whatsoever, at least for big firms. Attorneys are already drowning in email. The last thing they need is one more from you.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:15 am

dood wrote:loyola patent fair is where interviewers come to practice interviewing. everybody knows no offers are given from loyola.
hittin a little bit too close to home for me

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone actually received offers from a Loyola callback?
I've gotten two offers and one rejection so far from CBs resulting from PLIP. Here are my interview stats so far:

Loyola PLIP
18 screening interviews
resulting in 12 CBs, 4 dings, 1 withdrawal, 1 unknown
went on 8 CBs, declined 3, will go on 1
2 offers, 1 ding, 5 unknown

SFIPLA
6 screening interviews
resulting in 3 CBs, 3 dings
declined 1 CB, will go on 2

OCI
14 screening interviews
resulting in 7 CBs, 6 dings, 1 unknown
went on 4 CBs, declined 2, will go on 1
1 offer, 3 unknown

Sorry, no personal stats. It'd be way too easy to figure out who I am. Interviewing stats don't necessarily mean much, though, as I didn't target firms as well as I could have and different firms are truly looking for different things.

I feel that I connected better with the interviewers at PLIP than at OCI. All of the interviewers at PLIP worked either in patent litigation/prosecution. Most had science or engineering backgrounds. Most of the interviewers at OCI worked in non-IP fields and majored in the humanities.

I've met a number of people who got their jobs via PLIP, including several interviewers. It's a legit interview program. The problem is that it's really freaking early, and some firms just don't seem prepared to give offers that early in the process. Most have hiring committees that meet every couple weeks, and many seem to be waiting until they finish most OCI interviewing, have interviewed a few CBs, and can better gauge how many SAs they can hire. At almost every callback I went to, someone said to me that I was the first person they had interviewed this season.

Quite frankly, if you (1) have an EE or CS degree; (2) got OK grades in law school (3) at an OK law school; (4) have relevant work experience; (5) express an interest in patents; (6) interview in a large IP market such as NY, DC, or SV; and (7) interview well, you will have your pick of choices all the way up and down the V100. And once you get your foot in the door via your paper credentials, interviewing well is all that matters.

Interviewing is a skill that can be learned, albeit a "soft" skill: go on mock interviews, go on as many screening interviews as possible, and generally interact with other people. These interviews are almost invariably chatty experiences with the occasional "tell me about a time when..." sort of question. They're nothing like EE/CS interviews where they ask you to solve brain teasers, write code, or solve problems on the spot. If you have the credentials, they generally just want to see if they can stand being around you 80 hours a week.
What was your average turnaround time between CB and offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I've gotten two offers and one rejection so far from CBs resulting from PLIP.

Same day, one week, and two weeks. It's been all over the place.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I've gotten two offers and one rejection so far from CBs resulting from PLIP.

Same day, one week, and two weeks. It's been all over the place.
I've gone on 9 CBs so far from OCI and the PLIP.

Results of CBs from:

4 weeks ago: 1 ding, 1 unknown
3 weeks ago: 2 unknown
2 weeks ago: 3 unknown
Last week: 2 unknown

...starting to think they're all dings. :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote: I've gone on 9 CBs so far from OCI and the PLIP.

Think positive! All you need is one offer, and firms aren't going to waste a bunch of attorneys' time to interview someone at a CB they don't think is a likely fit. A friend at a former V10 firm (guess which firm!) said they probably give 60% of CBs offers. It's been >3 weeks for some of my CBs, and I still haven't heard a peep from them. Same thing for my non-IP friends.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Think positive! All you need is one offer, and firms aren't going to waste a bunch of attorneys' time to interview someone at a CB they don't think is a likely fit. A friend at a former V10 firm (guess which firm!) said they probably give 60% of CBs offers. It's been >3 weeks for some of my CBs, and I still haven't heard a peep from them. Same thing for my non-IP friends.
It's just upsetting to me because it seems like I'm majorly screwing something up not to have an offer by this point. But my CB interviews have seemed to go a lot better than my screening interviews because I've gotten better at interviewing. This is why I'm confused.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It's just upsetting to me because it seems like I'm majorly screwing something up not to have an offer by this point. But my CB interviews have seemed to go a lot better than my screening interviews because I've gotten better at interviewing. This is why I'm confused.
I can empathize. Interviewing has been quite the emotional roller coaster, and much of it is an inscrutable black box. Just keep on going on CBs and screeners and once you get one offer (I'm sure you will), use it to pressure the rest into giving you a decision. Having an offer early is actually problematic, though, because you only get 28 days to decide before the offer expires. Once that first offer came, the rest of the interview season had to become much more compressed. Spending half a million bucks or whatever it costs on a new associate is a big decision, especially after having two years of fucked up hiring, so of course, most firms aren't going to rush it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:12 pm

The offers take a while because they still want to wait on OCI interviews. The main advantage is getting the CBs done earlier. You can definitely get an offer from PLIP. I had 6 CBs from PLIP and have received two offers so far. No dings yet but it's been a while so I'm figuring some of them at least are going to be dings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:31 am

Did anybody else get this email a few days ago from Sterne Kessler?
Hello X,

Y greatly enjoyed meeting you at the Loyola Patent Law Interview Program, where you discussed interest in an associate position at Sterne, Kessler, Goldstein & Fox. Can you please send me a completed version of the attached form, so that we may further consider your application?
What gives? Does this mean I'm finally going to get a CB?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did anybody else get this email a few days ago from Sterne Kessler?
Hello X,

Y greatly enjoyed meeting you at the Loyola Patent Law Interview Program, where you discussed interest in an associate position at Sterne, Kessler, Goldstein & Fox. Can you please send me a completed version of the attached form, so that we may further consider your application?
I got that message about two weeks ago, and all I did was resume drop at the hospitality suite.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anybody else get this email a few days ago from Sterne Kessler?
Hello X,

I got that message about two weeks ago, and all I did was resume drop at the hospitality suite.
Just keep in mind that they only made one offer to seven SAs in 2009.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:10 pm

Any update?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do you go to a T14? The reason I ask is because not only do I have all of those but more (graduate degrees) and it's been quite brutal. Other EEs at my first tier school are in similar situations. I think that a smaller group of people at elite schools are getting tons of callbacks and the rest have it much harder.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Do you go to a T14? The reason I ask is because not only do I have all of those but more (graduate degrees) and it's been quite brutal. Other EEs at my first tier school are in similar situations.
Same here. I have all of those: EE, passed patent bar, above median grades at a T1 = no offers. Still waiting on some others, but things aren't looking that rosy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:50 pm

same as above (bs-ms ee), but at a t10, also very good grades, 24 callbacks - up and down the v100 as described - 3 markets (bay area/dc/ny)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”