Transferring and OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transferring and OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi. I applied to jobs via early interview at my current school. I just got accepted at a law school and I am considering transferring to a different school. If i go to the early OCI should i tell the firms that I "might" transfer or that I am considering transferring? or I can call the firm up right now and tell them i am considering transferring however I am still very interested... and explain why I want to transfer. Then pray they will give me an interview still.

Gold

Re: Transferring and OCI

Post by 98234872348 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi. I applied to jobs via early interview at my current school. I just got accepted at a law school and I am considering transferring to a different school. If i go to the early OCI should i tell the firms that I "might" transfer or that I am considering transferring? or I can call the firm up right now and tell them i am considering transferring however I am still very interested... and explain why I want to transfer. Then pray they will give me an interview still.
Double dipping OCIs is a bad decision. Do not do that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:07 pm

Im not sure if i am transferring though.
mistergoft wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi. I applied to jobs via early interview at my current school. I just got accepted at a law school and I am considering transferring to a different school. If i go to the early OCI should i tell the firms that I "might" transfer or that I am considering transferring? or I can call the firm up right now and tell them i am considering transferring however I am still very interested... and explain why I want to transfer. Then pray they will give me an interview still.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:08 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Why? Is it against NALP rules? If not, I don't understand what is so wrong with it.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:13 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:37 am

bwv812 wrote:
jay115 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
Why? Is it against NALP rules? If not, I don't understand what is so wrong with it.
OCI is for 2Ls. You are only a 2L at one school.

Someone here tried this last year, and a firm noticed. The firm reported this to his schools, and he ended up having a conversation with the Dean about it. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up having a conversation with C&F about it next year, too.
So, then, the lesson to OP is don't bid from different OCIs to the same firm.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:44 am

^ I think the lesson is rather "Don't take chances with $150k and 3 years of your life."

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:09 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:36 am

MrKappus wrote:^ I think the lesson is rather "Don't take chances with $150k and 3 years of your life."
I don't think mistergof ever indicated that attending multiple OCIs violated NALP rules. Thus, I don't understand how that might challenge one's career paths. IMO, for a transfer student - you pay tuition to one school for 1L, then you pay tuition to a school for 2L. If they host their respective OCIs at different times, then I fail to see how it is either against the rules or immoral to attend multiple OCIs (unless, of course, it's expressly forbidden by one's respective law school).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:54 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:23 am

jay115 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:^ I think the lesson is rather "Don't take chances with $150k and 3 years of your life."
I don't think mistergof ever indicated that attending multiple OCIs violated NALP rules.
I don't know if it is a violation but I have heard anecdotal evidence that it is, if not, there are at least students that have had problems with this particular problem previously. I would not recommend it, it's not a good idea. period. tyvm.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:31 am

jay115 wrote:
I don't think mistergof ever indicated that attending multiple OCIs violated NALP rules. Thus, I don't understand how that might challenge one's career paths. IMO, for a transfer student - you pay tuition to one school for 1L, then you pay tuition to a school for 2L. If they host their respective OCIs at different times, then I fail to see how it is either against the rules or immoral to attend multiple OCIs (unless, of course, it's expressly forbidden by one's respective law school).
How about the fact that it violates the "don't be a raging asshole" policy that applies generally to life?

Every interview you take during OCI is an interview someone else could have had, and probably wanted. Why should you get two servings? Are you somehow more deserving than everyone else at both schools, who only get to do it once? Or, are you just a jerk who doesn't care about anyone except yourself?

rynabrius

Bronze

Post by rynabrius » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:11 am

--- redacted. Reason: paranoia.
Last edited by rynabrius on Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:12 am

rynabrius wrote:I have a related question. I've been pre-selected for an interview through the NALP NY Job Fair. I set this up through my old school's symplicity before I knew I would be transferring. Now I know I shall transfer. Is it unethical to do the interview?
I don't know what the NALP NY Job fair is. If it's something like Loyola Patent, it's not unethical at all. If it's something like Cornell's program where they just have their OCI in NYC, it's probably unethical.

rynabrius

Bronze

Post by rynabrius » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:21 am

According to their site it looks like the fair is limited to students from schools which sponsor the NLSC. Thus I have removed my name.

BUUUUT it felt great to get pre-selected.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:52 am

rynabrius wrote:According to their site it looks like the fair is limited to students from schools which sponsor the NLSC. Thus I have removed my name.

If they selected you for the fair, they might talk to you outside of it. Write them a letter, explain why you thought you needed to withdraw from the fair, and tell them you's really like to interview outside of the fair if you can.

rynabrius

Bronze

Post by rynabrius » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:57 am

Renzo: That is good advice, thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:59 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:04 pm

bwv812 wrote:
Renzo wrote:
rynabrius wrote:According to their site it looks like the fair is limited to students from schools which sponsor the NLSC. Thus I have removed my name.

If they selected you for the fair, they might talk to you outside of it. Write them a letter, explain why you thought you needed to withdraw from the fair, and tell them you's really like to interview outside of the fair if you can.
I.e., do what OP said he/she was going to do.
There were options in the OPs post, one of which was do OCI twice. That should not be considered a viable option.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”