University of Chicago Employment Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

University of Chicago Employment

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:50 pm

176.31 GPA at the University of Chicago (I think that puts me somewhere above the bottom third and below the median, but that's the best I can figure). Chicago is my number one market preference, with New York/Boston being my #2.

I have very good ties to the area (not a Chicago native, but have been here for a while), and I think I have the best shot at landing a good job focusing on Chicago.

I have a good resume; 2 years of work experience; a good internship this summer. I can normally handle myself in an interview very well. The major problem is my GPA.

My Chicago Bid List so far:

Bryan Cave
DLA
Howrey
K&L Gates
Katten Munchen
Jenner + Block

How much weight should I give to:

Paul Hastings + Jones Day... Any info on these firms outside of what Vault says

Also: Mayer/Latham/Kirkland/Sidley are out?

Any hits/misses on the list. I'm flexible with what area of law I want to practice in.

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Re: University of Chicago Employment

Post by pehaigllleises » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:31 pm

Have you gotten through the grapevine the files from OCS that list some min/max/median/average GPAs that firms took for callbacks or gave offers to in past years? Some of the files are more useful than others, and some are almost completely useless, but a few might help you. If you haven't gotten them and want them, PM me an anonymous sounding gmail address to send them to (or something like that).

Edit, or not PM, because you can't PM anonymously, duh. Just make and post a junk email address.
Last edited by pehaigllleises on Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:32 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:Have you gotten through the grapevine the files from OCS that list some min/max/median/average GPAs that firms took for callbacks or gave offers to in past years? Some of the files are more useful than others, and some are almost completely useless, but a few might help you. If you haven't gotten them and want them, PM me an anonymous sounding gmail address to send them to (or something like that).
Are those really circulating out there? I wouldn't mind obtaining them.

iwantawhiteiphone4

New

Post by iwantawhiteiphone4 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Such a document exists? I just PM'd you.

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:39 pm

Yeah, the ones I have range from 2002 to 2007. The 2007 one is useless because it only lists min/max, from which very little can be divined, because who knows what soft factors (like somebody important's grandkid) the kid with the min had for any firm. The others' usefulness is limited by their age. But it's better than nothing. They have no identifying information of any past students so lemme know where to send them and send them I will.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:40 pm

I did see something like that back in the fall quarter. Interesting.

I think composing the bid list and asking OCS's thoughts on whether it looks reasonable wouldn't be a bad idea.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:43 pm

Given the total # of SA positions in Chicago these days, below median is going to be a very tough sell. If I recall correctly, there were < 300 total summer associates in all of Chicago last year. Given that fact, you might want to focus more heavily on NYC than you otherwise would have.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:01 pm

disco_barred wrote:Given the total # of SA positions in Chicago these days, below median is going to be a very tough sell. If I recall correctly, there were < 300 total summer associates in all of Chicago last year. Given that fact, you might want to focus more heavily on NYC than you otherwise would have.
You think that NYC will be less difficult than Chicago? Also, what are you basing this information on; I mean, are you an associate, or lowly 1L. Our OCS said basically not to worry about our GPA outside of the top firms, but I can't tell if this is them just being nice, or if this is them being real with me.

Thanks, all.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
disco_barred wrote:Given the total # of SA positions in Chicago these days, below median is going to be a very tough sell. If I recall correctly, there were < 300 total summer associates in all of Chicago last year. Given that fact, you might want to focus more heavily on NYC than you otherwise would have.
You think that NYC will be less difficult than Chicago? Also, what are you basing this information on; I mean, are you an associate, or lowly 1L. Our OCS said basically not to worry about our GPA outside of the top firms, but I can't tell if this is them just being nice, or if this is them being real with me.

Thanks, all.
I know NYC will be less difficult than Chicago. It is scripture, it is writ in stone. There are like 100x the number of summer associate positions in NYC as there are in Chicago but demand isn't nearly as asymmetric.

I am a rising 2L, but I've also spent a lot of time looking at hiring trends, summer class sizes, and data. You should be careful of what career services says.

Feel free to find out from the horses mouth yourself. Run some searches on NALPdirectory, find some people willing to share spreadsheets with hiring data, etc.

I'm not saying Chicago is impossible, I'm just saying that it will be tough and you have much better odds in New York. The overwhelming majority of T14 candidates I know who a) have near median grades and b) summer associate positions are in NYC right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:24 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks, all.
I know NYC will be less difficult than Chicago. It is scripture, it is writ in stone. There are like 100x the number of summer associate positions in NYC as there are in Chicago but demand isn't nearly as asymmetric.

I am a rising 2L, but I've also spent a lot of time looking at hiring trends, summer class sizes, and data. You should be careful of what career services says.

Feel free to find out from the horses mouth yourself. Run some searches on NALPdirectory, find some people willing to share spreadsheets with hiring data, etc.

I'm not saying Chicago is impossible, I'm just saying that it will be tough and you have much better odds in New York. The overwhelming majority of T14 candidates I know who a) have near median grades and b) summer associate positions are in NYC right now.
Cool, Thanks.

How about for fun guesstimating my odds of getting a market paying job ($130+) In Chicago, and in everywhere else. :) You seem like you have a pretty good grasp about what's going on.

I've said the Chicago Market is easier because historically the more qualified candidates head to NYC or Washington. Chicago's a smaller legal market with less of a talent pool to compete against.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Our OCS said basically not to worry about our GPA outside of the top firms, but I can't tell if this is them just being nice, or if this is them being real with me.
I'd like to believe that, but frankly, I don't. Just my - admittedly underinformed - opinion.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:36 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Our OCS said basically not to worry about our GPA outside of the top firms, but I can't tell if this is them just being nice, or if this is them being real with me.
I'd like to believe that, but frankly, I don't. Just my - admittedly underinformed - opinion.
**SIGH**

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
**SIGH**
To be fair(er), I have a hard time imagining they'd completely sugarcoat things for us. I don't think they want people bidding unwisely and getting screwed as the result of overreaching.

How did they define top firms anyhow? V10? V20?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:35 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
**SIGH**
To be fair(er), I have a hard time imagining they'd completely sugarcoat things for us. I don't think they want people bidding unwisely and getting screwed as the result of overreaching.

How did they define top firms anyhow? V10? V20?
In Chicago - I'm Assuming V20

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:40 pm

O yea, my fake e-mail is green.bay1234@hotmail.com

pehaigllleises, if you could send those documents, it would be much appreciated.

The Recession

New

Post by The Recession » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:31 pm

Hey pehaigllleises, if you could also kick those documents with the OCI stats to

not.richard.epstein@gmail.com

you'd make my day. Thanks in advance.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:33 pm

The Recession wrote:Hey pehaigllleises, if you could also kick those documents with the OCI stats to

not.richard.epstein@gmail.com

you'd make my day. Thanks in advance.
Love the moniker/email. Kudos.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:17 pm

Sent sent sent sent sent sent. I thought these were more widely distributed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:09 am

do you guys have any idea how i'll fare in the Chicago market with a 178.4-ish GPA? I'm thinking Mayer, Sidley, Jenner, Latham, Lord Locke, McDermott, Baker, etc.

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:08 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:37 pm

pehaigllleises, I think those numbers could really help me (or at least give me a better idea of what I'm doing). If you don't mind, 773cubsfan@gmail.com

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:do you guys have any idea how i'll fare in the Chicago market with a 178.4-ish GPA? I'm thinking Mayer, Sidley, Jenner, Latham, Lord Locke, McDermott, Baker, etc.
I think that's top third. You're likely set for Jenner - dunno about others. Either way, you can't fail to walk out of OCI with a job, so there's that.

Uchi2L

New

Post by Uchi2L » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:57 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:Yeah, the ones I have range from 2002 to 2007. The 2007 one is useless because it only lists min/max, from which very little can be divined, because who knows what soft factors (like somebody important's grandkid) the kid with the min had for any firm. The others' usefulness is limited by their age. But it's better than nothing. They have no identifying information of any past students so lemme know where to send them and send them I will.
It would be really helpful if you could send these to my fake email address: uchi2l@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:26 pm

Uchi2L wrote:
pehaigllleises wrote:Yeah, the ones I have range from 2002 to 2007. The 2007 one is useless because it only lists min/max, from which very little can be divined, because who knows what soft factors (like somebody important's grandkid) the kid with the min had for any firm. The others' usefulness is limited by their age. But it's better than nothing. They have no identifying information of any past students so lemme know where to send them and send them I will.
It would be really helpful if you could send these to my fake email address: uchi2l@hotmail.com

Thanks!
I'll send to those above e-mail addresses, phaligelesses

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:46 pm

Sorry to keep the requests coming, but I think those numbers could be a huge help to me as well. Fake email: funtimeschicago2l@gmail.com

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”