Do firms allow you to transfer to different offices? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
t3245

New

Do firms allow you to transfer to different offices?

Post by t3245 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:36 am

For example, say you get an offer for the firm's New York branch, but you'd rather work in a different city closer to home--do most firms allow you to transfer to another location once you get an offer?

Gold

Re: Do firms allow you to transfer to different offices?

Post by 270910 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:45 am

I don't believe so - at least not as a matter of course. Happy to be corrected if somebody has better info than I.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:47 am

t3245 wrote:For example, say you get an offer for the firm's New York branch, but you'd rather work in a different city closer to home--do most firms allow you to transfer to another location once you get an offer?
No, at least not in the way you seem to mean it. There may be an ability to transfer between offices at some point in your tenure, depending on the firm (especially if one of the offices is foreign), but not upon receiving an offer. Hiring needs of different offices are different; the office that hired you (presumably) has work for you, while another office may not.

t3245

New

Post by t3245 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:54 am

Thanks--should I send in multiple applications to the same firm (directed at different offices in different cities)?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:57 am

t3245 wrote:Thanks--should I send in multiple applications to the same firm (directed at different offices in different cities)?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=124708

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:03 am

disco_barred wrote:
t3245 wrote:Thanks--should I send in multiple applications to the same firm (directed at different offices in different cities)?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=124708
Jones Day is very liberal about allowing transfers. I was asked in my exit interview if I wanted to go to another office. That being said, they did know from the get to that I was interested in other offices and that my SO travels a lot in a specific city.

I wouldn't say transferring is a matter of course but it is more than doable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”