Loyola Patent Fair "not so selective" in pre-selects? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Loyola Patent Fair "not so selective" in pre-selects?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:35 pm

Someone at work told me to not consider myself in good shape just because I have a big number of interviews scheduled for Loyola Patent fair (20+), and said that the number of pre-selects means nothing, his rationale was that firms have this one shot at recruiting IP kids nationwide, so they want to "max out" the number of kids they see.

Does anyone know whether this is true? Does everyone get a boat load of screening interviews? It seems like the people who don't have that many screenings limited their choice by area, and only bid on a few firms.

Anonymous User

Re: Loyola Patent Fair "not so selective" in pre-selects?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:45 pm

Nothing wrong with being optimistic.

Better to have 20+ interviews than only a handful.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:46 pm

I know a lot of people who bid hard and got WAY fewer than 20 interviews. Whoever told you that doesn't know what he's talking about.

Well, that's a lie. It's still possible that interviews rarely turn into offers, at least compared to reg'lar OCI if you're preselected. But getting 20 interviews is impressive.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:55 pm

Firms have 20-40 interview slots at PLIP. They can probably fill their schedule with top 1/3 T14 folks if they want, no need to schedule a bunch of people they don't want to hire.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:40 pm

rayiner wrote:Firms have 20-40 interview slots at PLIP. They can probably fill their schedule with top 1/3 T14 folks if they want, no need to schedule a bunch of people they don't want to hire.
I thought every firm had 50 slots, given that they have 20 min slots over 16 hours. How do u know this 20-40 business?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:Firms have 20-40 interview slots at PLIP. They can probably fill their schedule with top 1/3 T14 folks if they want, no need to schedule a bunch of people they don't want to hire.
I thought every firm had 50 slots, given that they have 20 min slots over 16 hours. How do u know this 20-40 business?
Most employers are only scheduled for one day. Interviews run 9:30 to 5:30, minus one hour for lunch (presumably) = ~20 slots per employer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:03 pm

I'm not sure if this is a troll or not. I'd say that anything above 10 interviews is an exceptional haul. I can't imagine there are more than 5-10 people in the whole fair who have 20 or more, that is if you're even telling the truth about your total.

If you're that concerned though, I guess all the more reason to try and do your best.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not sure if this is a troll or not. I'd say that anything above 10 interviews is an exceptional haul. I can't imagine there are more than 5-10 people in the whole fair who have 20 or more, that is if you're even telling the truth about your total.

If you're that concerned though, I guess all the more reason to try and do your best.
Whats your basis for saying 10+ = exceptional, do you know several people doing this event, and their interview numbers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:27 am

Let's see you apply your 20+ interview acumen to the problem: you have 169 unique listings on the site. But some of those are the same employer listed several times, and not all of them will be interviewing separately for each office. How many actual "unique" listings are there? Let's say 2/3 of that, so about 110. Each of those has 20 interview slots so you have 2200 slots total, give or take. According to Loyola, roughly half of the 1500 students who apply are selected for interviews, so 750 students for 2200 slots.

How are the interviews distributed? We don't know, but the average for this example is 3 (can't be much higher than 5). Even a cursory glance would suggest that 10 is more than 2 standard deviations away, not to mention 20.

I hope you put your brain to better use during your interviews.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Let's see you apply your 20+ interview acumen to the problem: you have 169 unique listings on the site. But some of those are the same employer listed several times, and not all of them will be interviewing separately for each office. How many actual "unique" listings are there? Let's say 2/3 of that, so about 110. Each of those has 20 interview slots so you have 2200 slots total, give or take. According to Loyola, roughly half of the 1500 students who apply are selected for interviews, so 750 students for 2200 slots.

How are the interviews distributed? We don't know, but the average for this example is 3 (can't be much higher than 5). Even a cursory glance would suggest that 10 is more than 2 standard deviations away, not to mention 20.

Pwnt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Let's see you apply your 20+ interview acumen to the problem: you have 169 unique listings on the site. But some of those are the same employer listed several times, and not all of them will be interviewing separately for each office. How many actual "unique" listings are there? Let's say 2/3 of that, so about 110. Each of those has 20 interview slots so you have 2200 slots total, give or take. According to Loyola, roughly half of the 1500 students who apply are selected for interviews, so 750 students for 2200 slots.

How do you know that each firm only conducts 1 interview during a 20 min slot?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:

How do you know that each firm only conducts 1 interview during a 20 min slot?
Because those are the rules. Could they end one early or have no-shows factor in? Perhaps, but unlikely at a fair this large.

peterstein

New

Post by peterstein » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:06 pm

rayiner wrote:Most employers are only scheduled for one day. Interviews run 9:30 to 5:30, minus one hour for lunch (presumably) = ~20 slots per employer.
Just some further pointless clarification
From the Loyola patent fair website:
Interviews run from 9:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. - each interview is 20 minutes long, with 5 minute breaks between interviews. There is a lunch break each day from 12:45 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
This comes out to 18 interviews/day.
I have a feeling some firms are interviewing by technical area w/o actually stating so on the employer list on Simplicity (e.g., different people listed down as interviewer when you go from your schedule compared to the employers listing), but I may be entirely wrong on this point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”