I'm an idiot Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I'm an idiot

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:39 pm

Just emailed a firm a copy-pasted cover letter where I forgot to remove the name of another firm. That is one job I won't be getting!

bk1

Diamond

Re: I'm an idiot

Post by bk1 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:40 pm

I think somebody accidentally logged on to TLS instead of their Twitter account.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:40 pm

I was just going to say...holy shit TLS merged with Twitter!

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:41 pm

bk187 wrote:I think somebody accidentally logged on to TLS instead of their Twitter account.

I thought the same thing!

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:42 pm

blowhard wrote:I was just going to say...holy shit TLS merged with Twitter!
rofl

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:46 pm

I wish we could just write generic cover letters. Firms know we're applying to more than one of them; why the pretense?

Hi. I'm a 2L at Law School X. Here's some generic shit I've done. Here's why, based on info I got from 5 minutes of reading your website, I think we'd be a good match.

Blerg. I say spare me that and let me just crtl+v the same one to everyone.

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wish we could just write generic cover letters. Firms know we're applying to more than one of them; why the pretense?

Hi. I'm a 2L at Law School X. Here's some generic shit I've done. Here's why, based on info I got from 5 minutes of reading your website, I think we'd be a good match.

If you can't be bothered to change the name of a law firm in an email, they probably don't want to hire you.

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wish we could just write generic cover letters. Firms know we're applying to more than one of them; why the pretense?

Learn to love mail merge.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:54 pm

psychomohel wrote:

If you can't be bothered to change the name of a law firm in an email, they probably don't want to hire you.
At this point, I would say they certainly don't want to hire me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spanktheduck

Bronze

Post by spanktheduck » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:51 pm

Just send a corrected one. If it is a big firm, they might not even notice.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:54 pm

What if they send an offer with someone else's name?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:56 pm

spanktheduck wrote:Just send a corrected one. If it is a big firm, they might not even notice.
This is smart. The person who receives your info in many cases really doesn't have a say in whether or not you get hired. If you correct it quickly, nobody will hold it against you. Or at least, most won't. Welcome to the real world where mistakes get made and corrected and humans understand one another's occasional missteps.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:59 pm

I've almost done this several times. I make it a point to double and triple check firm names and recruiting contact names in both my cover letter and body of the email. I can't tell you how many times I've been about to hit send, only to check it one more time and realized I missed something.

Also gotta remember to change city names...."I have family in Chicago, so I am really interested in working in the Philadelphia office" usually doesn't work too well....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:00 pm

disco_barred wrote:
spanktheduck wrote:Just send a corrected one. If it is a big firm, they might not even notice.
This is smart. The person who receives your info in many cases really doesn't have a say in whether or not you get hired. If you correct it quickly, nobody will hold it against you. Or at least, most won't. Welcome to the real world where mistakes get made and corrected and humans understand one another's occasional missteps.
Unfortunately, this description of the real world does not apply to the big law firm world....

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:11 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
Unfortunately, this description of the real world does not apply to the big law firm world....
Sure it does, if you follow up promptly and professionally.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:15 pm

disco_barred wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
Sure it does, if you follow up promptly and professionally.
Maybe.

I listened to an attorney go on a tirade the other day about how she was not even reading any resumes that had typos in the cover letter.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:22 pm

Renzo wrote:I listened to an attorney go on a tirade the other day about how she was not even reading any resumes that had typos in the cover letter.
You all might be missing my point.

Here's how MOST Law Firm resume sending works:

You write a bunch of stuff. You send it to somebody at a law firm. Somebody who is not an attorney and not making hiring decisions likely receives and processes that information, which will then at some point be seen by an attorney or group of attorneys who decided what to do.

If you send a correction before it gets to an attorney, the (often non-attorney) in charge of such things will just switch the letters. Even if they arrive contemporaneously, you have a chance of surviving because even an attorney will understand the stresses of these applications and look at your new materials.

If you don't correct it, then it's probably an auto-ding. If you get unlucky about the timing or the office handling process, it might be an auto-ding. But it's completely feasible that you could correct it without error as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:42 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Renzo wrote:I listened to an attorney go on a tirade the other day about how she was not even reading any resumes that had typos in the cover letter.

Here's how most law firm resume sending works:

You write a bunch of stuff. You send it to somebody at a law firm. Somebody who is not an attorney and not making hiring decisions likely receives and processes that information, which will then at some point be seen by an attorney or group of attorneys who decided what to do.

If you send a correction before it gets to an attorney, the (often non-attorney) in charge of such things will just switch the letters. Even if they arrive contemporaneously, you have a chance of surviving because even an attorney will understand the stresses of these applications and look at your new materials.

If you don't correct it, then it's probably an auto-ding. If you get unlucky about the timing or the office handling process, it might be an auto-ding. But it's completely feasible that you could correct it without error as well.
In my experience, attorneys have dealt with being terrorized over artificial deadlines and typos for years and consider it one of the hallmarks of a good attorney.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:46 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

Here's how most law firm resume sending works:

In my experience, attorneys have dealt with being terrorized over artificial deadlines and typos for years and consider it one of the hallmarks of a good attorney.
Sure. But at my law firm, all recruiting materials go to somebody who isn't an attorney. And I know the person, I'd bet my life that if they got an email with a cover letter and resume at 5:10, then at 5:12 got an "Oops! Sent wrong file! MY BAD BRO" they'd ignore the first email and copy the information from the second email into the info they pass on to the attorney.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:00 am

So, I sent a correction email. As Disco said, the materials were sent to a non-attorney, and I apologized for the mistake, etc. and was very polite and appropriately self-deprecating about the whole affair. I'm hoping for some forgiveness since the firm is located in a secondary market that doesn't get a lot of applicants from T30 schools, and my grades are pretty good (this is likely wishful thinking, but hey).

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:50 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:22 am

NYAssociate wrote:A recruiter might not have a say in recommending a candidate for hire, but he/she can definitely ruin one's chances. Typos, especially other firm names, are a great way to make sure to ruin one's chances.

Since when did people think only attorneys matter? Everyone you encounter at the firm matters: assistants, receptionists, tech support, cleaning staff, recruiting, whatever. While they can't barge into a recruiting meeting and make hiring partners give you an offer, they can give a nasty report about you. Attorneys will take it seriously. There are thousands of other qualified law students who would gladly love your spot, and will not make a similarly stupid mistake.
Yeah, there's no way this isn't a fatal error.

spanktheduck

Bronze

Post by spanktheduck » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:21 am

You should have sent a corrected one and not mentioned it and hoped they did not notice.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:07 am

NYAssociate wrote:Since when did people think only attorneys matter?
Sigh. I never said or implied that. Thanks for the lecture though.

The point is that there is a non-zero chance that prompt correction will mean the people who make the hiring decision never see the typo. That is true. That's all I was trying to say. Now, there's also a chance the non-attorney will think your mistake is hilarious and forward your error to every attorney in the office and publish it on the cover of the next edition of Am Law.

But again, there are two courses of action: Not correcting the mistake, where the odds of it being fatal are nearly 100%, and correcting the mistake, where the odds of it being fatal drop. To what? I don't know. I was merely describing the circumstances under which it could pan out.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:32 am

disco_barred wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:Since when did people think only attorneys matter?
Sigh. I never said or implied that. Thanks for the lecture though.

The point is that there is a non-zero chance that prompt correction will mean the people who make the hiring decision never see the typo. That is true. That's all I was trying to say. Now, there's also a chance the non-attorney will think your mistake is hilarious and forward your error to every attorney in the office and publish it on the cover of the next edition of Am Law.

But again, there are two courses of action: Not correcting the mistake, where the odds of it being fatal are nearly 100%, and correcting the mistake, where the odds of it being fatal drop. To what? I don't know. I was merely describing the circumstances under which it could pan out.
Yeah, I usually like when NYAssociate rips Disco a new one, but in this case it is not warranted. The point being made was that a prompt apology and correction may mean that your mistake is never noticed by the people who will be responsible for making the hiring decision. I hope that we all know to treat support staff with respect both during and after the hiring process. It can go a long way to making your life easier/better.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”