Cover Letter Format Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
samiseaborn

Bronze

Cover Letter Format

Post by samiseaborn » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:49 pm

Is there such thing as a proper cover letter format (i.e. number of spaces between address, date, saluation, etc.)? My career office has a specific one that looks too cramped to me, but I don't want to ignore it and then find out that was the 'accepted' format. And yes, I'm focusing on minute details to avoid having to write the actual content.

Voyager

Silver

Re: Cover Letter Format

Post by Voyager » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:06 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=123786

See my post in that thread (should be the last one). I give an example cover letter I used.

In short...

para 1: who you are and what you want
para 2: the skills you bring to the table and why you are a great fit for their org.
para 3: conclusion which shows how this job is the natural progression of your life.

keep it to 1 page.

As for a standard format... no... but you should keep it to 1 page, you should cover the above points, and you also need to make sure you are addressing it to the right person.

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:44 pm

Thanks for the example. My career office won't give example letters because they insist we'll end up transcribing them, so they focus on 'two spaces between date and address' instead, which is of course extremely unhelpful.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:22 pm

samiseaborn wrote:Thanks for the example. My career office won't give example letters because they insist we'll end up transcribing them, so they focus on 'two spaces between date and address' instead, which is of course extremely unhelpful.
that is ridiculous.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”