.I Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MBskier

New

.I

Post by MBskier » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:04 pm

Last edited by MBskier on Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gold

Re: T2 Top 5% OCI

Post by 270910 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:15 pm

My impression, which may be wrong, is that office-jumping isn't common. You make your connection with the office you summer at.

Your chances are good... but what does it matter? I just don't get these threads. Do OCI, try hard. That would be true if you were #1 in the class or dead last, neh?

If I were you I'd bit NY and Philly. DC is a tough nut to crack.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:12 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBskier

New

Post by MBskier » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:30 pm

Last edited by MBskier on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:13 am

I was in exactly the same position as you last year, but at Temple (significantly higher than top 5% but didn't know my exact rank, on LR) and I got a bunch of callbacks at the big Philly firms but was rejected by all of them. I ended up getting a law clerk position at a smaller firm. You might be in a better position this year because Morgan Lewis and Ballard Spahr are (or at least claim to be) recruiting for next summer.

My advice is to start mass mailing ASAP. Try to hit all the well-respected firms in Philly and New Jersey that aren't coming to OCI. Don't discount Delaware because the firms there seem relatively unaffected by the economy and hire lots of people with credentials like yours. There's no harm in trying for NY and DC, either. NY used to be a possibility for people like us, so you might get lucky.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MBskier

New

Post by MBskier » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:18 pm

Last edited by MBskier on Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:31 pm

MBskier wrote:Thanks. I really appreciate it. From what I can tell this year is likely going to be just as bad, but at least you were able to get callbacks. I have heard a lot of people who completely struck out.

If you don't mind, why do you think callbacks didn't go well? Do you not have connections to the area?
I have no idea why callbacks didn't go well. I'm not the most outgoing person in the world, but I am polite and friendly during interviews. I came prepared with questions. I sent thank-you emails that did not contain typos. I also grew up in Pennsylvania, so that wasn't the issue.

Honestly, I think I lost the numbers game. I don't have such a stellar personality that I was a shoo-in. Even though I'm top of my class, firms had their pick of good students from T14 schools who are arguably more prestigious on paper than I am. I do know that Fox Rothschild only hired SAs from T6 schools because they knew they could get away with it this year. Class sizes are miniscule and most big firms seemed to be reserving one spot per local school. It's easy to get unlucky with odds like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”