Fordham placement outside NYC market Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Timothy Wreck

New

Fordham placement outside NYC market

Post by Timothy Wreck » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:40 am

Can anyone give advice/stats about getting a job outside NY/NJ from Fordham? I'm an entering 2L with good but not stellar grades, and a lifelong New Yorker without any real connections to the the markets I'm thinking about (Texas, Florida and a couple of others) but am not so certain I'd like to stay in town.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Re: Fordham placement outside NYC market

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:50 pm

My understanding is that your chances are best in major markets out of state. I have heard Texas is very hard to break into without ties. I would talk to our CPC about your preferences. I know the school is actively encouraging people to spread out from the tri-state area, and I think they could give you solid advice about how to approach other markets. It's not impossible. Most Fordham grads stay here, but there is a gigantic amount of self selection in that group.

Timothy Wreck

New

Post by Timothy Wreck » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:02 pm

Thanks, OS. A quick search on Martindale gives a total of 67 Fordham alums in the entire state of Texas, and a number of them did undergrad in the state. That doesn't seem too promising.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:03 pm

Especially right now with more jobseekers than jobs, Texas firms are using existing Texas ties as a way to weed out applicants. If you don't have ties to Texas, and you're not going to school in Texas, you should not plan on getting a job in Texas.

This is not to say it's impossible, just that it's very, very unlikely.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:25 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Especially right now with more jobseekers than jobs, Texas firms are using existing Texas ties as a way to weed out applicants. If you don't have ties to Texas, and you're not going to school in Texas, you should not plan on getting a job in Texas.

This is not to say it's impossible, just that it's very, very unlikely.
This is truth. I mean a lot of it is self selection- people that want Texas tend to have Texas ties, or at least some reason for going there. Outside NYC (and vicinity), our school's alumni network is strongest in places like San Francisco, LA, Boston, and Miami.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”