NYT reports 37% of 18-29 year olds are unemployed Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
General Tso

Gold

NYT reports 37% of 18-29 year olds are unemployed

Post by General Tso » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:12 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/07/busin ... n.html?hpw

That's the highest level of unemployment among young Americans since the 1930s. Of course back then, WWII and the postwar booms in construction, manufacturing, and rebuilding europe helped make that the "greatest generation."

So what about us? Will we be the "next" great generation? If so, where will the next economic boom be? We can't all work in finance and health care after all.

nycparalegal

Bronze

Re: NYT reports 37% of 18-29 year olds are unemployed

Post by nycparalegal » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:15 pm

We won't be the "next" great anything. Our generation is in for a world of pain and misery. I like to think it would be something more like Germany post WW1 and pre WW2.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:16 pm

General Tso wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/07/busin ... n.html?hpw

That's the highest level of unemployment among young Americans since the 1930s. Of course back then, WWII and the postwar booms in construction, manufacturing, and rebuilding europe helped make that the "greatest generation."

So what about us? Will we be the "next" great generation? If so, where will the next economic boom be? We can't all work in finance and health care after all.
Nah. We will be the lost generation. Hopefully one who takes a cue from the fuckups of our parents and uses the opportunity to retrench and refocus on the things that originally made America prosperous.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:17 pm

WWIII for the win. We're gonna employ the shit out of this generation.

DerrickRose

Silver

Post by DerrickRose » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:18 pm

nycparalegal wrote:We won't be the "next" great anything. Our generation is in for a world of pain and misery. I like to think it would be something more like Germany post WW1 and pre WW2.
That is a frightening thought.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:18 pm

nycparalegal wrote:We won't be the "next" great anything. Our generation is in for a world of pain and misery. I like to think it would be something more like Germany post WW1 and pre WW2.
so would you agree with the guy who thinks the Dow is going below 1,000 in a few months?
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/your- ... f=business
The Dow, which now stands at 9,686.48, is likely to fall well below 1,000 over perhaps five or six years as a grand market cycle comes to an end, he said. That unraveling, combined with a depression and deflation, will make anyone holding cash “extremely grateful for their prudence.”

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:18 pm

rayiner wrote:

Nah. We will be the lost generation. Hopefully one who takes a cue from the fuckups of our parents and uses the opportunity to retrench and refocus on the things that originally made America prosperous.
What made America prosperous was the rest of the world was either in a state of war or recovering from war. The world has caught up to the US. Times are only going to get tougher as we now have to compete with the entire world.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:18 pm

rayiner wrote:

I think there's an Amendment to the Constitution disallowing that...

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:19 pm

rayiner wrote:Nah. We will be the lost generation. Hopefully one who takes a cue from the fuckups of our parents and uses the opportunity to retrench and refocus on the things that originally made America prosperous.
Like having illegitimate children with slaves?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:19 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:WWIII for the win. We're gonna employ the shit out of this generation.
You joke, but I seriously think Bush was aiming for a stimulus with the Iraq and Afpak wars.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:21 pm

rayiner wrote: Nah. We will be the lost generation. Hopefully one who takes a cue from the fuckups of our parents and uses the opportunity to retrench and refocus on the things that originally made America prosperous.
But what things can make America prosperous once again?

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:21 pm

General Tso wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:WWIII for the win. We're gonna employ the shit out of this generation.
You joke, but I seriously think Bush was aiming for a stimulus with the Iraq and Afpak wars.
I know, right? If we could get this liberal sissy out of office we might get the ball rolling again.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:23 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:
General Tso wrote:
I know, right? If we could get this liberal sissy out of office we might get the ball rolling again.
I didn't really want this to be a political thread, I really want to focus on where America goes from here. But I will just say that last time I checked, Obama hasn't done much to wind down either war. Unless you are suggesting he start a couple more?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:25 pm

General Tso wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:
General Tso wrote:
I didn't really want this to be a political thread, I really want to focus on where America goes from here. But I will just say that last time I checked, Obama hasn't done much to wind down either war. Unless you are suggesting he start a couple more?
Wait wtf are you not in favor of government stimulus?!?!?

LOL @ this right winger.

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:26 pm

General Tso wrote:
rayiner wrote: Nah. We will be the lost generation. Hopefully one who takes a cue from the fuckups of our parents and uses the opportunity to retrench and refocus on the things that originally made America prosperous.
America is way over leveraged to become prosperous any time soon. We compete with the rest of the world for jobs, yet have to take out enormous amount of debt to get our foot in the doors for jobs that either are dying out, shipped over seas, or is restructuring downward due to pressure on wages.

Demand for jobs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>supply of jobs
Last edited by nycparalegal on Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:28 pm

General Tso wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:
General Tso wrote:

lol at general tso starting a politically oriented pro-war thread w/o meaning to :o

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:29 pm

General Tso wrote:
Who knows. A good start would be shooting all the voodoo economists who tell us that shipping all our cash to China to buy non-durable goods is sound economic policy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:30 pm

General Tso wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:
General Tso wrote:
A couple more? Typical liberal defeatism. If you do it right it all melts together into one big world war.

I'm just fucking around. Although it would probably be in America's short and long term economic interest to engage in some game changing wars and subsequently institute a new set of global regimes that we favor.

cahesu

New

Post by cahesu » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:34 pm

General Tso wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:
General Tso wrote:
lol

Merr

Bronze

Post by Merr » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:35 pm

Nuclear weapons made it so there will never be anything like WWII again...or at least nothing like it that anyone will survive.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:37 pm

rayiner wrote:
General Tso wrote:
Who knows. A good start would be shooting all the voodoo economists who tell us that shipping all our cash to China to buy non-durable goods is sound economic policy.
yeah there was another interesting article in the NYT that was reviewing a new book called "Let Them Eat Credit" or something. anyway one of his central premises is that countries like China and Germany are lending money to America so that we can buy the goods they manufacture on credit. So it's pretty much a double whammy, they make the good and sell it to us on credit.

believe it or not, I find some positive themes in Jimmy Carter's infamous 'malaise' speech:
But just as we are losing our confidence in the future, we are also beginning to close the door on our past...In a nation that was proud of hard work, strong families, close-knit communities, and our faith in God, too many of us now tend to worship self-indulgence and consumption. Human identity is no longer defined by what one does, but by what one owns.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

truffleshuffle

New

Post by truffleshuffle » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:44 pm

FWIW, there is some Russian professor that predicts the USA will break apart

(http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123051100709638419.html)

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:48 pm

This is how I view the job market in America:

You pay a ridiculous cover to get into a bar only to find out that everyone just left and you got stuck with the tab.

taw856

Bronze

Post by taw856 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:52 pm

truffleshuffle wrote:FWIW, there is some Russian professor that predicts the USA will break apart

(http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123051100709638419.html)
TL;DR article, but what an amusingly misguided graphic at the bottom. If the far-fetched scenario of the U.S. breaking up actually occurred, I can't see South Carolina and New York being on the same side of the split. Also Texas would definitely just be its own country again.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:04 pm

Wait.. I felt sorry for that kid until I read that he went to Colgate and majored in PoliSci with a minor in History yet turned down a 40k Insurance job and desperately wants to work in Finance. Who on earth does he think he is??

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”