W&M 0L interested in working in Miami Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Matthies

Silver

Re: W&M 0L interested in working in Miami

Post by Matthies » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:25 am

romothesavior wrote:
Matthies wrote:
romothesavior wrote:[What about schools so TTT you actually have to include the city where they are located in the name?
At least most people having actualy heard of the city before, I mean I Washibton and Lee, WTF, is that even a real school?
A girl from Florida asked me where St. Louis was last week. I shit you not.
You should have told her the part you want to live in is in Il.

vandalvideo

Bronze

Post by vandalvideo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:31 am

romothesavior wrote:there is not a great chance that W&M will get him back to Florida without top grades.
Unless you have strong local connections. I've already been offered a fall back summer job for my 1L summer with a relatively large firm in my state of original residence from William and Mary. I am in a much similar situation to the OP, but I don't necessarily want to come back to OG state of residence upon graduation. It isn't impossible nor is it unlikely with good connections.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:46 am

vandalvideo wrote:
romothesavior wrote:there is not a great chance that W&M will get him back to Florida without top grades.
Unless you have strong local connections. I've already been offered a fall back summer job for my 1L summer with a relatively large firm in my state of original residence from William and Mary. I am in a much similar situation to the OP, but I don't necessarily want to come back to OG state of residence upon graduation. It isn't impossible nor is it unlikely with good connections.
Congrats on the job.

Yeah, I mean, I'm sure it is doable if you have connections, but to not even apply to the Florida schools for no other reason than their rank was pretty stupid. UF for very cheap would be better for getting a Florida job than W&M for a lot of money. I'm no expert on the Florida legal market, but I think I can say that with a fair amount of certainty. Plus I'd rather stay in state and cultivate those connections than leave for three years and try to come back. W&M is a fine school, but we're not talking about the difference between say, Duke and Florida.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Fellow TLSers-

I finished my cycle and ended up with an $8,000 a yr scholly to W&M with in-state tuition. I want to work in Miami, but was scared of attending any school in FL bc of their rank. I got into Emory and UGA, but their career services didnt show much promise to reach Miami (little if any grads going that far south) and Emory's price tag was too high. Therefore, I took the safe option with money and went to W&M. W&M doesnt have much influence in FL, but Im wondering if it is more bc of self-selection. Therefore, I have a few questions. Can a W&M grad make it to Miami w/o having to be top 10%? What can I do at the outset to find career prospects in that area?

Thanks!
if you really want florida don't risk it by going to W&M. wait another year and apply to UF this coming cycle. you'll probably ending up paying less by going to UF.

Person

Bronze

Post by Person » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:00 pm

rad law wrote:
Person wrote:Don't take what people here say about this too seriously. There is no way we just happen to have a bunch of experts on your school's chances in that market. It is always harder to get into a city with no connections, and going to school there creates a connection. Why do you want to be in Miami?
You disagreed with above comments, then agreed with them. Thanks for this gem.
No, I am saying that there is some element of it being harder to get into a place form outside a region than in, all else being equal. But the idea that you guys have a good idea of W&M's reputation and chances in Miami is laughable. In particular, that going to W&M is a bad idea for this guy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:16 pm

Person wrote:
rad law wrote:
Person wrote:Don't take what people here say about this too seriously. There is no way we just happen to have a bunch of experts on your school's chances in that market. It is always harder to get into a city with no connections, and going to school there creates a connection. Why do you want to be in Miami?
You disagreed with above comments, then agreed with them. Thanks for this gem.
No, I am saying that there is some element of it being harder to get into a place form outside a region than in, all else being equal. But the idea that you guys have a good idea of W&M's reputation and chances in Miami is laughable. In particular, that going to W&M is a bad idea for this guy.
We all said that going W&M without prior FL connections in order to get a job in Miami was lunacy. It's possible, but probably not going to happen. I don't understand why this is such a contentious statement, especially considering that 0, that's right, 0 NALP firms in Miami do OCI at W&M.

edited to avoid being taken out of context
Last edited by Grizz on Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:23 pm

rad law wrote:I don't understand why this is such a contentious statement, especially considering that 0, that's right, 0 NALP firms do OCI at W&M.
Could you please explain this? When I search "Campus Interviews" on NALP for W&M, it returns 74 results?

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:24 pm

MrKappus wrote:
rad law wrote:I don't understand why this is such a contentious statement, especially considering that 0, that's right, 0 NALP firms do OCI at W&M.
Could you please explain this? When I search "Campus Interviews" on NALP for W&M, it returns 74 results?

He meant 0 Miami firms. Don't worry bro, I know that was really hard to figure out based on the context of this thread.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:27 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:He meant 0 Miami firms. Don't worry bro, I know that was really hard to figure out based on the context of this thread.
I was worried, but now I'm not! Thanks, H2Oman!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fenway

Bronze

Post by fenway » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:31 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:You already lose

--LinkRemoved--

*great site

that and look through Miami firms for WM alum(s). if you find some, it would not be a terrible idea to take a shot at establishing a contact (or two) out of whomever you find. tough to crack any out-of-region market, though

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”