Is it possible to lateral to a large law firm later? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it possible to lateral to a large law firm later?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:54 pm

I appreciate your precious time and reply.

I have an EE Ph. D. and 1L grades of 3 P's and 4 H's. This summer, I am working for a tiny patent prosecution firm (2 patent attorneys and 2 patent agents). They like my work and dedication very much, invite me to come back next summer, and offer me a job after graduation (although I did not ask whether they pay market rates).

I like the firm and the city very much. The firm has steady business and has been more busier recently.

English is not my first language and I have problem interacting with people. I am quiet most of the time. I could not strike a small talk with the hot cute girl I meet every day. I am not sure whether I would get any callback or summer offer. Even if I do, I am not sure if I could ever nail down an job offer at a BigLaw, especially ITE.

My goal is going back to Asia and working as an in-house counsel for an Asia high-tech.
As a fresh graduate, I don't mind working for the tiny firm for a few years. But, I might need some BigLaw experience before I go back to Asia.

So, here are my questions:
1) Is it possible to lateral to a larger law firm after working for a small firm for a few years?
2) Should I ever bother to try the OCIP, given this kind of economy and my poor inter-person skills? I keep thinking about not doing the OCIP since I got offered. But starting a legal career with a small firm seems contrary to the conventional wisdom.

Thank you very much.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Re: Is it possible to lateral to a large law firm later?

Post by Sauer Grapes » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:03 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I appreciate your precious time and reply.

I have an EE Ph. D. and 1L grades of 3 P's and 4 H's. This summer, I am working for a tiny patent prosecution firm (2 patent attorneys and 2 patent agents). They like my work and dedication very much, invite me to come back next summer, and offer me a job after graduation (although I did not ask whether they pay market rates).

I like the firm and the city very much. The firm has steady business and has been more busier recently.

English is not my first language and I have problem interacting with people. I am quiet most of the time. I could not strike a small talk with the hot cute girl I meet every day. I am not sure whether I would get any callback or summer offer. Even if I do, I am not sure if I could ever nail down an job offer at a BigLaw, especially ITE.

My goal is going back to Asia and working as an in-house counsel for an Asia high-tech.
As a fresh graduate, I don't mind working for the tiny firm for a few years. But, I might need some BigLaw experience before I go back to Asia.

So, here are my questions:
1) Is it possible to lateral to a larger law firm after working for a small firm for a few years?
2) Should I ever bother to try the OCIP, given this kind of economy and my poor inter-person skills? I keep thinking about not doing the OCIP since I got offered. but starting a legal career with a small firm seems contrary to the conventional wisdom.

Thank you very much.
Well the conventional wisdom is not working very well for most people right now is it?

You have an offer, if you can keep that offer and turn it into a job you like doing what you want to, I would take it. I would still do OCI as well.

Also you need to work on your interpersonal skills, this is really a skill that successful lawyers, even IP ones, need to have. I would make that one of your top priorities between now and graduation. It will do more for your career in the long run than anything you can do in school now.

As to lateraling, yes it happens, but you need something the firm wants, that's either being really really good at what you do, having a book of business or knowing people or a combination of all three. Your lack of good personal skills is going to hold you back in all these areas.

Work on that, seriously, get some books, go to toastmaters, see if you can take some gradute level classes in communication that count towards your JD. You need to work on that. It is a learned skill and you can learn it.

BTW my study partner for the bar, a T2 graduate did exactly what you want to do, got a in-house legal job in Asia for a large tech firm he's Korean and speaks the language very well, but he also suffered from some interpersonal issues in the US, he explained it to me that the culture is different there, but I would best describe him as quiet and aqwuard in US social settings. This cost him we both agree, getting any offers at US firms even with great grades and an MBA.

Good luck, but work on the social skills thing, seriously, it will do more or your future crear in the US than anything else. Good luck.

Llewellyn

New

Post by Llewellyn » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:41 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:I'm a 1L(ish) so take this with a grain of salt. Everything I've heard is that transferring into big law is next to impossible. That being said, nothing is actually impossible. Before ITE, I've known people that have done it. Even before ITE it was very unlikely though.
No.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:50 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”