MVP, top 35-40%, D.C. bids? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

MVP, top 35-40%, D.C. bids?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:40 pm

I'm at least on a secondary journal, as well as TA for our legal writing program. I know I'll be bidding for almost every d.c. firm coming to OCI, but trying to figure out which are the best chances as targets, so I can put them on the top of the list. Thoughts? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: MVP, top 35-40%, D.C. bids?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know I'll be bidding for almost every d.c. firm coming to OCI
Sounds like a great way to wind up unemployed. People with those grades from UVA did VERY, VERY poorly in the DC market last year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know I'll be bidding for almost every d.c. firm coming to OCI
Sounds like a great way to wind up unemployed. People with those grades from UVA did VERY, VERY poorly in the DC market last year.
Unfortunately, I think this is probably TCR. I would seriously look at another market and hedge your bets. Even in the good economy days, most DC firms only granted interviews to top 1/3 - and its gotten worse since then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Really, this bleak? Our career services may be fudging the numbers a bit, but they give us the median gpa's of students who received offers, and there has to be at least 10-15 d.c. firms at my range or lower.

doctoroflaw

New

Post by doctoroflaw » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:01 pm

If you don't HAVE to be in DC, there is no reason to bid on that city. Obviously if you have family there, substantial ties, etc. there is nothing you can do. You are just probably decreasing whatever your normal odds would be by like 20% if you bid DC versus other markets.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Really, this bleak? Our career services may be fudging the numbers a bit, but they give us the median gpa's of students who received offers, and there has to be at least 10-15 d.c. firms at my range or lower.
I think its ok to bid on those firms then, but, I wouldn't bid on other firms. I think you need to be hedging by applying to another market.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people overbid last year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:13 pm

Well, fair enough. I knew it was brutal, but didn't realize it was this depressing. I guess I'll bid as cautiously as possible, with some safety bids in a secondary market, then cross my fingers...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:07 pm

UVA 3L here--struck out in DC with similar stats (though I wasn't a Dillard) with about 10 interviews in the area. With two and only two exceptions, I'd recommend avoiding DC-area firms entirely.

The exceptions are:
1. NoVA offices (McLean, Reston, etc.) of firms that also have DC offices, AND the NoVA office's practice areas line up with some kind of specialty background you have (engineering degree, CPA, etc.); OR
2. Specialty firms (patent, tax, etc.) if you have the background to match.

Here's my advice: bid your home market, bid a southern market where the UVA name has some pull (ATL, NC, or one or two cities in TX), and bid one of Chicago/LA/SF/NY (or if you really don't want to work in the South, two of those markets), placing more of your bids in the bigger markets. CSO is right in that you shouldn't bid too many different markets, but I think you should definitely bid more than one market ITE and probably more than two.

Finally, if there's a firm where you *really really* want to work, bid it anyway, even if it's the only firm you're bidding on in that market.

Edit: I'm assuming you're at UVA. If you're at M or P, adjust the "market where your school name has some pull" accordingly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:UVA 3L here--struck out in DC with similar stats (though I wasn't a Dillard) with about 10 interviews in the area. With two and only two exceptions, I'd recommend avoiding DC-area firms entirely.

The exceptions are:
1. NoVA offices (McLean, Reston, etc.) of firms that also have DC offices, AND the NoVA office's practice areas line up with some kind of specialty background you have (engineering degree, CPA, etc.); OR
2. Specialty firms (patent, tax, etc.) if you have the background to match.

Here's my advice: bid your home market, bid a southern market where the UVA name has some pull (ATL, NC, or one or two cities in TX), and bid one of Chicago/LA/SF/NY (or if you really don't want to work in the South, two of those markets), placing more of your bids in the bigger markets. CSO is right in that you shouldn't bid too many different markets, but I think you should definitely bid more than one market ITE and probably more than two.

Finally, if there's a firm where you *really really* want to work, bid it anyway, even if it's the only firm you're bidding on in that market.

Edit: I'm assuming you're at UVA. If you're at M or P, adjust the "market where your school name has some pull" accordingly.
Gotcha- I'm actually not at UVA. Our career services has really been stressing that we should spread ourselves out among too many different markets (they said 1 or two tops), but I'm guessing that's not the case? Btw D.C. would be my home market- the only market I have significant ties to.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Gotcha- I'm actually not at UVA. Our career services has really been stressing that we should spread ourselves out among too many different markets (they said 1 or two tops), but I'm guessing that's not the case? Btw D.C. would be my home market- the only market I have significant ties to.
Ties didn't really seem to help people in D.C. at UVA as far as I can tell. The only people I know at UVA with D.C. SA gigs are either a) on law review, or b) electrical engineers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:58 am

I wonder if everyone on TLS warning against people bidding DC will create a DC vacuum and an NY/Chicago/LA/SF clog.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:31 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:06 am

bwv812 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Really, this bleak? Our career services may be fudging the numbers a bit, but they give us the median gpa's of students who received offers, and there has to be at least 10-15 d.c. firms at my range or lower.
Are these historical medians or medians from last year? Big difference.
Historical medians spanning approx the last 10 years, if i'm correct about what school OP attends. We've gotten a lot of doom and gloom from our career services this year. OCI should be an interesting week :-/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”